1.    #1  
    I was just over on AndroidAndMe (which I sometime read) and I noticed that they have quite an identity with their little "Andy".

Mascots have helped lots of software projects in the past (Tux comes to mind; or the XFCE mouse). I wonder if there is any sort of mascot that would be appropriate for webOS. While "webOS" is descriptive, it's boring! I understand that Palm wants to portray webOS as a serious contender in the world of smartphones. I think it would be fun to add a mascot that could be used on occasions that could appeal to the more whimsical webOS audience.

That said, I could never see Apple doing this with iPhoneOS. Why? Because Apple has become the elitists that they shunned in the days of IBM. They may be artsy, but they're too stuffy to attach a cute or silly animal to their billion-dollar cash machine.

What do you think?
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Palmela Anderson
  3.    #3  
    FAIL!
    Can we steal the penguin from whatever it belongs to. I like the penguin poping up all over the place in preware
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Can we steal the penguin from whatever it belongs to. I like the penguin poping up all over the place in preware
    The Penguin has become the symbol of all things Linux / Open Source. So I find it amusing, even if frightening, that you want to STEAL it.

webOS doesn't need a mascot, what it needs - and you people are going to murder me for this - is a new name. iPhone rolls off the tongue, Android is just a damn cool name however you turn it, but web-oh-ess sounds and looks boring, and doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

It's Palm's crux in the era Rubinstein: brilliant engineering, abysmal marketing, and apparently no instances to step in when something goes wrong (i.e. hardware quality control, somebody speaking up against the marketing when it became apparent that a bunch of sissies couldn't look at a blonde girl without shivering, somebody in marketing finding a name that sells better than webOS which almost sounds like MS-DOS...)
    Haha, I know he is all things linux/open source which means he is open source and all. So we could just borrow him and not return him without it being theft, lol.

Not sure if I agree with the name thing. I happen to like saying webOS, but if you could think of a 1 syllable word to describe it then il use it.
    Loosey!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    How about the little yellow taxi from the old days? That was fun.
    Diazepalm - Better Living Through Synergy.

Would be a BIG hit if a few Palm reps went to Burning Man next time and dispensed a few phones. The fact that the Pre's display shows such beautiful colors makes it a perfect fit.

Reach small and very defined target audiences, make them use your product religiously and hope the love trickles up.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    How about the little yellow taxi from the old days? That was fun.
    +1!
    This is an easy one!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    yeah I was thinking the linux penguin too