1.    #1  
    As new phone hardware/tablets/etc come out they will have new features that webOS will adapt to. The older hardware will not have the capabilities to pull of some of the new features the newer hardware can.

Do you think the old hardware will eventually hit a standstill, or get updates that just minus the new features of the better hardware?

It may follow the same path as iPhones and they will just not support older hardware for updates? Or is the OS designed to always update across all hardware platforms?

Hopefully this makes sense? haha
    Planned obsolescence, it's the American way (plus new products are cool).
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    As new phone hardware/tablets/etc come out they will have new features that webOS will adapt to. The older hardware will not have the capabilities to pull of some of the new features the newer hardware can.

Do you think the old hardware will eventually hit a standstill, or get updates that just minus the new features of the better hardware?

It may follow the same path as iPhones and they will just not support older hardware for updates? Or is the OS designed to always update across all hardware platforms?

Hopefully this makes sense? haha
    Other than speed or screen resolution, there should be no difference that cant be added back to the Pre/Pixi. That's the magic of OTA updates and an open platform like WebOS.

I could see things being unable to work without a faster processor, and I could see something like Flash not supporting current processors (at least not well - there was some discussion as to whether adobe would ever support the Pixi...) but since adobe is a year late (and counting) on flash, it doesn't really matter yet. It might also matter if they change CPU/GPU architecture if Apple were to buy ARM... but I would still think WebOS updates would continue to be backward compatible...

More important to me is that they support all the touchstones and chargers I've accumulated for my Pre. One of the nice things about the Treo/Centro phones is that they all had the same connector/charger/etc. Other than battery and stylus, my accumulation of that stuff made each phone more useful without having to buy a bunch of new accessories.

I especially hope that future devices will support touchstone. I have 3 already, and since they are still $19 at Radio Shack I will probably get more.

Hopefully any webOS "tablet" that HP creates will also work.. Maybe a touchstone on each end for twice the power?
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I have been betting that with Palm controlling the hardware and software, we would not have the same issue droid has, that software written for newer hardware was backwards compatible, allowing developers to focus on the future without worrying about compatibility and a moving target for apps.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    They will get the updates for a while, but not all features. As long as the phone can handle it, they'll include it, but they are not going to release something really advance for a phone with a cpu that can't handle it.

The good news is that the pre is actually going to get faster for a couple reasons: chrome uses the same javascript engine as the pre, and the folks at google made the open source engine 30-35 percent faster. The pre is also going to get hardware accelerated css. By late summer/ early fall the pre will be significantly faster, especially if you have the 800mhz patch. The plus would help to.
    Last edited by nimer55; 05/07/2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: wrote java instead of javascript (they are different things)