Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I would think the cards would be landscape, but perhaps instead of card view being linear, the cards could be "gridded" 3x3 for the current view, but scrollable if you had more than 9 apps open. It would help make use of the additional screen real estate so you weren't scrolling as much, since I would imagine multitasking would be more frequently used and in larger fashion.

I would hate to see there be a "dedicated" gesture area, because your orientation with the device could change so much. Instead, why not have the gestures use 2 fingers instead of 1? So a back gesture could be 2 fingers sliding to the left anywhere on the screen, etc. for card view and forward. That way, no matter how you hold the device (one handed, portrait, landscape, docked, etc), you could always use gestures.

Edit: Also, I wonder if notifications could be vertically stacked on the right of the screen at a size similar to what they are now when landscape, perhaps normally when portrait. You could dismiss them with just a thumb if you needed to and wouldn't have to dismiss a notification by pushing it off of such a large screen.

I think I'd find myself using a device like this landscape more than portrait, and I think alot of webOS elements would need to be addressed--not really reinvented, but more flexible--in a larger screen, portrait device.
    Last edited by Tick131; 05/04/2010 at 02:53 PM.
    The phone wishlist:
    A 65 nm snapdragon? Why not a propper processor like the OMAP3640 with LPDDR2, or any cortex a9 based core. 1800 mAh is very optimistic in such a small device.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    The C40 specs just need a few additional items to make me go ga-ga:

• front facing camera for video chat
    • built in compass for quick orientation on maps
    • super long, thin and powerful replaceable battery
    • fixed keyboard like the Pixi
    • kickstand for watching videos in portrait mode
    • hdmi out
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    lets hope something like that gives the ipad a run for its money!!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    What program did you use to render that?
  6.    #46  
    Hi,

Lightwave 3D is my choice for rendering and modeling.
    I have an animation cooking in the oven with a few minor updates.
    I will post a Youtube link later.

Cheers,

Brent
    Quote Originally Posted by Tick131 View Post
    1. the cards could be "gridded" 3x3 for the current view, but scrollable if you had more than 9 apps open. It would help make use of the additional screen real estate so you weren't scrolling as much, since I would imagine multitasking would be more frequently used and in larger fashion.

Edit: 2. Also, I wonder if notifications could be vertically stacked on the right of the screen at a size similar to what they are now when landscape, perhaps normally when portrait. You could dismiss them with just a thumb if you needed to and wouldn't have to dismiss a notification by pushing it off of such a large screen.
    1. What if the cards remained linear but two subtle differences:
    i. When you have multiple cards open (More than what's visible on screen) the previously used card shifts to the right, the card before it to the left, both on either side of the currently open card.

So if you switched to check e-mail from web browsing and texting, one long gesture swipe forward or backward would take you to or from recently used cards. Like some kind of auto arrange. Something to make it intuitive.

ii. When you have multiple cards open (Let's say 10) - the same gesture on the phone that zooms out so that you can see more cards would zoom out and lay all the open cards in a grid, alphabetical order or order of most recently used. Some layout/arrangement kind of like similar to icons in the app menus but with cards.

2. A. Notifications could expand the currently open card(s) or hang outside below the bottom and fade in an opaque list towards the bottom of the screen. Maybe 3 or 4 rows depending on the real estate. Double tapping on them would only expand the notification area at the bottom of the screen for those specific alerts only. A flick gesture instead of a complete drag could clear them off. OR a deliberate double tap beneath could instantly clear the alerts from view without deleting them.

So if you have 4 missed calls, 5 new emails, and 3 new text messages without have a card maximized you'd see a faint fading list beneath it as a preview.

2. B. The notification area could remain in the right corner of the upright position regardless of which direction the the tablet is held. It could be a fixed width list instead of expanding the full width of the screen.

How about having the entire screen be a gesture area with coding that automatically makes it so that the bottom of the screen in any upright position accepts gestures.
    I think that they put a larger border on the tablet, because you need somewhere to put your thumbs while you are holding it!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Some messages spoke how the base would be a touchstone; I assume they meant it wold contain a touchstone coil on the inside....I think it would be a cool idea if the existing touchstones could be simply be inserted into whatever docking design was thought up. Sort of like popping a battery cell in...

Concerning the tablet design...there would be enough room to have two full-sized cards open at once, side-by-side, just like Microsoft's concept Courier project, only this wouldn't fold in the middle (I can't imagine the oreo-effect-like complications that might come out of that!!!) probably.

HPalm could then add extra abilities to widgets and cards, enabling cards to interact, just like in the Courier concept video. For example, if you had CONTACTS and GOOGLE MAPS open side-by-side, you could use a multitouch gesture - perhaps two fingers on the contacts card to "anchor" it, then another finger to "flick" one contact in the direction of the MAPS card which would then display the contact's satellite maps.

Another idea, lifted from the Courier video...a web page on the left, and an paint app on the right. Anchor the page and flick an image from a website from one card to another. WebOS would simply be doing cutting and pasting, perhaps with some nice physics-based animation to make it land (pasted) on the paint canvas.
    Last edited by Goyena; 05/04/2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewton540 View Post
    I was thinking for the dock, you could have it like the touchstone but have it raised up (kind of like a tower), so you would be able to place the tablet on the touchstone and still have that 30 degree angle. This way it wouldn't really matter where the usb port was, you could have it displayed portrait or landscape. I would like the gesture area to be on both the vertical and horizontal sides and depending on which direction you are holding the device you could disable it so you don't accidentally swipe something when you don't want too. hope you understood this, I have like this perfect image of what "my" perfect tablet would be (and webos is part of it)
    I was thinking something similar but the dock has an arm coming up in the back with a touchstone on the end that rotates so that you can rotate the tablet to landscape or portrait but not affect the charge/connection. I'm sure this swivel action could be done with magnets.

As far as the gesture area, I was thinking 2 sides only (1 Landscape, 1 Portrait) with only one being enabled at a time so that the gesture area is at the based of the orientation and the top portion of the other gesture area is used for scrolling entire pages just like it does in landscape mode while web browsing right now.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brentdowney View Post
    Hi,

Lightwave 3D is my choice for rendering and modeling.
    I have an animation cooking in the oven with a few minor updates.
    I will post a Youtube link later.

Cheers,

Brent
    You just brought back some old memories of my 3D rendering days back when I had a Video Toaster equipped Amiga 4000 with Newtek's LightWave3D program. I recall rendering animations overnight on the 50 Mhz processor :-)

What does it run on these days?
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Quote Originally Posted by skorptheengineer View Post
    1. What if the cards remained linear but two subtle differences:
    i. When you have multiple cards open (More than what's visible on screen) the previously used card shifts to the right, the card before it to the left, both on either side of the currently open card.

So if you switched to check e-mail from web browsing and texting, one long gesture swipe forward or backward would take you to or from recently used cards. Like some kind of auto arrange. Something to make it intuitive.

ii. When you have multiple cards open (Let's say 10) - the same gesture on the phone that zooms out so that you can see more cards would zoom out and lay all the open cards in a grid, alphabetical order or order of most recently used. Some layout/arrangement kind of like similar to icons in the app menus but with cards.

2. A. Notifications could expand the currently open card(s) or hang outside below the bottom and fade in an opaque list towards the bottom of the screen. Maybe 3 or 4 rows depending on the real estate. Double tapping on them would only expand the notification area at the bottom of the screen for those specific alerts only. A flick gesture instead of a complete drag could clear them off. OR a deliberate double tap beneath could instantly clear the alerts from view without deleting them.

So if you have 4 missed calls, 5 new emails, and 3 new text messages without have a card maximized you'd see a faint fading list beneath it as a preview.

2. B. The notification area could remain in the right corner of the upright position regardless of which direction the the tablet is held. It could be a fixed width list instead of expanding the full width of the screen.

How about having the entire screen be a gesture area with coding that automatically makes it so that the bottom of the screen in any upright position accepts gestures.
    Sorry, the gesture idea you had is exactly what I was thinking of, just didn't type it correctly, I suppose.

The others are all fine, I guess I'm just suggesting that those are items that need to be well thought out in a tablet-style device that I don't believe it work in their current implementation.
  13.    #53  
    I will have a 220 frame animation to show some progress later this evening.
    A co-worker was looking at the mockup I have thus far...with a swiveling display stand (touchstone pad) that has the keyboard detachable from the stand. It looks pretty neat.

B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    bro sick render im lovin it
    nope
    Just a question. The tablet doesn't make phone calls does it? I realize it's a mock-up but it wouldn't have the dialer ...

Other than that, I love the rendering. Would serious consider buying one of that design
    Ok, I was inspired by this thread.

Here is my half-@ssed mock up. I mocked up some apps that differ from the standard WebOS apps currently available because developers would most likely take advantage of higher resolutions.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Ok, I was inspired by this thread.

Here is my half-@ssed mock up. I mocked up some apps that differ from the standard WebOS apps currently available because developers would most likely take advantage of higher resolutions.

Thoughts?
    nice one! i actually prefer that one over the first one.

Nevery thought webOS was so OSX Leopard-like! Look at that! I am sure lots of apple ******* will drool on that!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    nice one! i actually prefer that one over the first one.

Nevery thought webOS was so OSX Leopard-like! Look at that! I am sure lots of apple ******* will drool on that!
    I didn't feel like taking the time of adding the actual Palm launcher, so I just used a screenshot of the dock.

Tomorrow when I have more time I'll add an actual palm looking launch bar (it's already started, I just need icons) add the time, and other random odds and ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by brentdowney View Post
    I will have a 220 frame animation to show some progress later this evening.
    A co-worker was looking at the mockup I have thus far...with a swiveling display stand (touchstone pad) that has the keyboard detachable from the stand. It looks pretty neat.

B
    If you rotate it to landscape, and get rid of the distracting wall paper... you have something I'd buy... nice creative skills!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast