1.    #1  
    How would I install IPK's onto my PRE without the usb cord?

I have terminal, and internalz, and I heard there is a command you can do in terminal to install an IPK stored on the device memory. I just need help doing this.
    Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    sooo do i need to move my ipk to /media/internal/downloads? it's currently in /media/internal because i put it on the phone through usb..

so in terminal app do i just
    /media/cryptofs/apps ipkg -o
    /media/cryptofs/apps/ install com...

only two lines of commands?
    I tried this, but henever I type in /media/cryptofs/apps ipkg -o I get a 'permission denied'
    type
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    to gain read/write capabilities and type
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    to switch back to read only capabilites.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    To install an ipk stored on the root of the usb partition.

/usr/bin/ipkg -o /var install /media/internal/file_name.ipk
    Quote Originally Posted by superrad View Post
    To install an ipk stored on the root of the usb partition.

/usr/bin/ipkg -o /var install /media/internal/file_name.ipk
    The information above is obsolete since webOS 1.3.5 - you should use

/usr/bin/ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps install ...

instead.

And note that if ipkg says anything about not running a postinstall script, then you also need to manually execute that script for the package to be installed correctly. If you do not run that script correctly, your installation will be badly corrupted and the package will definitely not work.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7.    #7  
    It keeps saying no such file exists.
    Ok, let's say I renamed an app ipk "feeds.ipk" without quotes. What would I do to install it?
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk3lleton View Post
    Ok, let's say I renamed an app ipk "feeds.ipk" without quotes. What would I do to install it?
    Post the ipk file. It depends on the contents.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Don't you need to have the original IPK file name to install it?
    I know I've tried to install a IPK through WQI when I renamed the IPK and it doesn't work.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Ok I will just use Quick Install... I was trying to see if I couldfigure out how to install with terminal. Final verdict- I can't.
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
    Since I've already set up FTP access over Wi-Fi to avoid having to use USB, I can easily access the command line as root via Putty using the same private key. I was still having to pull up webosQuickInstall for manual installation of beta apps until I found this simple command line (as referenced above):
    ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps/ install /media/internal/filename.ipk
    This seems to work fine for installing apps from the root of the "USB partition". You can change the path of the last argument if you copied the IPK file elsewhere. For most new installs, I've found I need to follow up with a
    reboot
    command once the install is complete. You can delete the .IPK file once it's successfully installed to free up the space.
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Since I've already set up FTP access over Wi-Fi to avoid having to use USB, I can easily access the command line as root via Putty using the same private key. I was still having to pull up webosQuickInstall for manual installation of beta apps until I found this simple command line (as referenced above):
    ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps/ install /media/internal/filename.ipk
    This seems to work fine for installing apps from the root of the "USB partition". You can change the path of the last argument if you copied the IPK file elsewhere. For most new installs, I've found I need to follow up with a
    reboot
    command once the install is complete. You can delete the .IPK file once it's successfully installed to free up the space.
    That command is not sufficient to correctly install advanced homebrew apps that have a post-install script.

-- Rod