Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I love listening to a ton of tech podcasts daily.

So I am only going to pick out one to rant about, with the exception to PreCentral's Palmcast.

In episode 1217, they talked about the merger between HP and WebOS.

One statement that sent me through the roof was 'WebOS is the most difficult to develop for'?

What! Are they ignorant?

Or are the receiving payola from Apple since that is all they talk about without fail.

They even said there are no good apps available for WebOS.

OK, so WebOS doesn't yet have a million apps, but its not quantity but quality.

And its REAL multitasking, but they don't take Apple to task about pushing the new iPhone IS as having multitasking and saying its good enough.

But as a good reporter they should be informing the general public that it is not REAL multitasking and clarify the differences. But they don't!

It seems episode after episode they have been and I have no doubt continue to help kill WebOS with negative reporting, misinformed reporting and down right lying. Most of all, they do their best to not even mention WebOS as if it doesn't even exist.

HP and Palm really should investigate if some sort of bias is going on in Apple's favor for some unknown reward system.

Years ago, to play a record on the air live, there was a system in place now history calls 'payola'! Or is it 'Playola'!

And we should also help WebOS out and compalin to these reporters and take them to task when they do this sort of thing, which to me personally is done daily!

Here is the list:

Buzz Out Loud
    Engadet (not so bad)
    TWIT (with Leo Laporte, a professed Apple ******).
    Diggnation
    Crankygeeks

Listen to any of these and you will see for yourself that what I am saying is very true based on facts!
    Yeah they all don't care for it. Said it's a good Os a few times but mostly how its dead.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Yeah this is an ongoing theme of theirs'. If they really don't like Palm or webos why not just stop talking about it the pity reminiscent attitude on their part is just a turn off. Btw Jeff Bakalar from the 404 on his 9th pre, c'mon. He's exchanging them for stuck on headset mode, luna restarts etc when most of his problems could be solved by a single visit to the forums. It's funny how a tech journalists has little to no clue how to troubleshoot his phone.
    Check out noagendashow.com assassinating lamestream media!
    They can say whatever they want... they can't stop webos.
    Leo LaPorte uses an Android phone (Nexus One) and BOL has definitely said some negative things about Palm, but they've also said some very positive ones. And as a general rule I'd say BOL is equally anti Apple.

I don't see where you can even come close to saying "these things are based on facts." I listen to BOL daily and TWIT, Windows Weekly and TWIG weekly and I totally disagree with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's just that, their opinion. Doesn't make it right or wrong.
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Leo LaPorte uses an Android phone (Nexus One) and BOL has definitely said some negative things about Palm, but they've also said some very positive ones. And as a general rule I'd say BOL is equally anti Apple.

I don't see where you can even come close to saying "these things are based on facts." I listen to BOL daily and TWIT, Windows Weekly and TWIG weekly and I totally disagree with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's just that, their opinion. Doesn't make it right or wrong.
    The facts are my ears!

I'm not sure how much you really listen to them? But if you listen long enough and day after day, there is a definite tread in conversation.

You don't pick it up with a listening to a show here and there, I listen to every show every day. And it's really there.

First, would you say WebOS is the hardest and worst OS to develop for?

Heck, we have Aries, it's WYSIWYG style of programming, nothing easier than that. You can now program in C, Java....

So is WebOS the worst OS to develop for?

If you say, yes, then they are not bias and I stand corrected!

Is WebOS open and non-censoring? Or is Apple?

You need to listen to their shows closely!

Another little thing, when comparing OS's features, they will only compare Apple's iPhone with Android!

When talking about Flash, they don't seem to know that WebOS already has it (but it's still in beta). They claim that Android just got it? Android and WebOS are about equal on getting Flash.

And of course you can debate if Flash is worth it, but that's the what I am talking about here.

Rob

Update: Leo LePorte has an Android Nexus, but he is (and I've heard it from his mouth) a self professed Apple ******! He can hardly get the words WebOS out. And if it's mention, it's always has a negative tone to the message. But with Apple, they are cheerleaders.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    They can say whatever they want... they can't stop webos.
    Yes they can, by always talking negatively about WebOS, by always saying Palm is dead!

If you heard that stuff would you run out and put your money on a phone that everyone was saying is a dead company and can't compete (in function) with Apple's iPhone!

If you listen to PreCentral's Palmcast, even though it's is pro WebOS, there is a different tone to their podcast stories.

To say that there are no apps available for WebOS, is helping to kill WebOS.

I have almost every app I've needed since the Pre came out, and that is under a year's time. It took Apple a year and half before you could even develop for the iPhone!

Thanks for rooting for WebOS, we need to show those tech reporters that we are here and we love our Pre's and that they need to take a second look at the Pre from what was available in the beginning. They push to their audience that no development has taken place with WebOS.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Of course Palmcast is going to be positive towards WebOS...hence the name "Palm" cast.
    Just because you love the Pre doesn't mean they have to. I also love WebOS and think it's a great operating system, but that doesn't mean others aren't entitled to their opinion.

I know BOL spent their whole podcast today bashing Apple. I've heard them spend the time bashing Google and Palm. It's just their opinion, right or wrong the same way it's your opinion right or wrong.
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Of course Palmcast is going to be positive towards WebOS...hence the name "Palm" cast.
    Just because you love the Pre doesn't mean they have to. I also love WebOS and think it's a great operating system, but that doesn't mean others aren't entitled to their opinion.

I know BOL spent their whole podcast today bashing Apple. I've heard them spend the time bashing Google and Palm. It's just their opinion, right or wrong the same way it's your opinion right or wrong.
    I'm not complaining about what their opinion is, that is fine.

What I am complaining about, is the misinformation that they put out there!

Total misinformation from lack of knowing what the real facts are!

You never answered my question, do you believe that WebOS is the worst platform to develop on and the hardest?

That's the kind of statement that tell me that the reporter does not know what she is talking about and doesn't have a clue!

Heck, they only play or test these phones for a day if that much and then turn them back.

Did you know all the cool stuff about your Pre in just a few hours!

Is your Pre the same as it was in June?

They are telling people, that in their opinion that WebOS is not a contender, and that is because they are going by their limited experience.

And their opinions do matter, people make decisions on those opinions and those opinions should be made by people would know how to evaluate a device. Not just give it a couple of hours of review!

Even Leo LaPorte states that he purchases his products so he is not influenced by anyone, and that he can play with a device for days or weeks before he writes a review. That's where I can respect him for!

And I can respect him, because he blatantly states he is an Apple ******! (the work is getting nixed but you know what I am saying).

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Yeah, I just don't listen to BOL when they talk about Palm. And by the time the new WebOS phones come out, Tom will be gone. And I don't see Molly sticking around for long after that.

If you ask me, someone should do a BOL deathwatch.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Yeah, I just don't listen to BOL when they talk about Palm. And by the time the new WebOS phones come out, Tom will be gone. And I don't see Molly sticking around for long after that.

If you ask me, someone should do a BOL deathwatch.
    No I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

I actually like Molly, and she wasn't the one with the stupid remarks on episode 1217.

LOL!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I also got the same impression today from BOL. Very negative towards Web OS. I'm sorry I don't remember the gentlemen's name who was on with Molly but he was very negative to the idea of having Web OS on an HP tablet. He kept repeating how HP made a mistake and has nothing more than a glorified mobile phone OS that isn't going to do anything for their tablet, especially against the iPad.

I own an iPad and I love it. But I also own a Palm Pre and have come to truly appreciate Web OS. I think a nice tablet running Web OS would kick ***. Not everything has to be an iSomthing killer. There is room in the market for competition...and I am hopful that the Web OS HP Tablet will be a worthy competitor to the iPad and any potential Andriod tablets.
    Many of CNET's reviews are off base. I stopped using that website a couple of years ago.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    The people on BOL sometimes tend to speak on what they read and not what they know. None of the regular hosts are Cnet reviewers. Molly is an unabashed Apple Hater, she may be the only non Mac user of anyone the put on air. I have never heard her say she owned a Pre and have never really heard her bash the Pre or WebOS. But her snarky tone during Palm stories and the tone of some of the other regulars can make you want to reach through Dr Podder and rip out their throats. They do the same thing with Zune.

They speak of Apple or Android (Google) or Microsoft or AT&T with either love or hate. They speak of anything but these few, with dismissive and sarcastic tones. How dare there be a Palm Pre or a Zune or a Creative or a Sprint or any small fish that tries to swim in this big pond. When these small players don't overtake the giants they just laugh and scoff and say I told you so.

Personally I don't think they do this as a conscious effort against any one product or company. They just play the front runner game. You have to have heroes and villians. Palm is not big enough to be either. It is therefore just a silly sideshow on an otherwise slow news day.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    The people on BOL sometimes tend to speak on what they read and not what they know. None of the regular hosts are Cnet reviewers. Molly is an unabashed Apple Hater, she may be the only non Mac user of anyone the put on air. I have never heard her say she owned a Pre and have never really heard her bash the Pre or WebOS. But her snarky tone during Palm stories and the tone of some of the other regulars can make you want to reach through Dr Podder and rip out their throats. They do the same thing with Zune.

They speak of Apple or Android (Google) or Microsoft or AT&T with either love or hate. They speak of anything but these few, with dismissive and sarcastic tones. How dare there be a Palm Pre or a Zune or a Creative or a Sprint or any small fish that tries to swim in this big pond. When these small players don't overtake the giants they just laugh and scoff and say I told you so.

Personally I don't think they do this as a conscious effort against any one product or company. They just play the front runner game. You have to have heroes and villians. Palm is not big enough to be either. It is therefore just a silly sideshow on an otherwise slow news day.
    Both Molly and Tom are both old Palm users. Molly has a Droid and has complained about apps hanging and not closing properly (man I just wish she'd try a Palm phone) and Tom has an iPhone.

The funny thing is I remember them saying the same thing about Android and the G1 way back in the day. No apps. Not enough carriers. It's just not taking off. Hard to develop for, yadda yadda.

I think BOL has been pretty fair to Palm considering. The only thing Palm has to do really is bring out a 2.0 phone that wows people, just like Google did with Android. But 1.0 phones rarely get any love. (Storm anyone)

It's too bad Tom won't be around when that happens. And honestly, I'm not sure if I'll listen when he's gone. I'm not being snarky. There's just something about the chemestry between him and Molly that I like, but hey, who knows they might get someone even better. BOL 2.0. It might work.
    A webOS slate should shut them up,
    sounds like standard apple lover gripes,
    jealousy does tend to rear it's ugly head,
    when ignorance supersedes revision.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    I listened to Engadget's podcast and they were overall fairly positive about the merger.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    BOL does tend to rip into every platform. I recognize that. But I still tune out when they rip into Palm basically because sometimes what they say is innacurate, sometimes it's accurate and really sad, and hey, the phone is working for me. Yes, mainly because of the 800 mhz patch and being able to finally buy apps in Canada, but yes, the phone is finally everything I want from a smartphone. Other people can not like it if they want, I don't care. If I'm going into a meeting, I no longer take my laptop, I take my phone. And I'm never going back!!!!

It's funny, I have a close geek friend who bought a super elegant phone while he was in Hong Kong. It's a sweet feature phone, super slim, and NOBODY has one within a 20,000 mile radius. And he doesn't care. BOL doesn't talk about it at all, and he doesn't care. It's the perfect phone for him. He doesn't need apps. He doesn't need 3d gaming, he just needs this super geeky, super slim feature phone from Asia and he's as happy as a clam. I don't know why I want BOL to love the Pre. It really shouldn't matter to me. If I like the phone that's all that really matters. But for some reason, I just want to tune out when they talk about Palm. I mean, it's not like what they say means ANYTHING. It doesn't. According to them, Android was dead after the G1.

If you think that they're unfair to Palm, hey, they take a chunk out of Apple ALL THE TIME. And they NEVER talk about Blackberry. It's kind of funny actually. BB really has the biggest smartphone market but they talk more about Palm than BB. What's better, complaining about you, or not talking about you at all? I will still listen to BOL. I'll even give it a shot after Tom leaves, but I don't have to listen to any doomcasting about the Pre. I know what I like, I know it's shortcomings, and I'm still here. So there.

STERCUS ACCIDIT indeed!
    Last edited by Vociferous; 05/02/2010 at 08:50 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast