Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    If you think that they're unfair to Palm, hey, they take a chunk out of Apple ALL THE TIME. And they NEVER talk about Blackberry. It's kind of funny actually. BB really has the biggest smartphone market but they talk more about Palm than BB. What's better, complaining about you, or not talking about you at all? I will still listen to BOL. I'll even give it a shot after Tom leaves, but I don't have to listen to any doomcasting about the Pre. I know what I like, I know it's shortcomings, and I'm still here. So there.

STERCUS ACCIDIT indeed!
    Yes, but my original point is that with all their negative talk, they are hurting WebOS' chances of surviving.

If you were interesting in purchasing a new phone and you listen to BOL, would you waste your time investigating or even considering the Pre or Pixi?

And also it's not only BOL, try listening to some of the others that I mentioned.

I did say that Engadet doesn't do it as much as the others. So that might be a show to compare to the others.

All the others are so negative about WebOS, it does have a chance in the marketplace.

People do listen to their shows!

I do recognize that they give Apple some negative talk, but they balance that with some positive stuff, like mentioning all the apps or a particular apps that came out.

But it's mostly negative about Palm, WebOS and now HP (and now we have to support HP as well)!

Have you ever heard them talk about apps that came out for WebOS.

I heard them (BOL) say that there are no apps for WebOS yet?!!!!!!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Both Molly and Tom are both old Palm users. Molly has a Droid and has complained about apps hanging and not closing properly (man I just wish she'd try a Palm phone) and Tom has an iPhone.

The funny thing is I remember them saying the same thing about Android and the G1 way back in the day. No apps. Not enough carriers. It's just not taking off. Hard to develop for, yadda yadda.

I think BOL has been pretty fair to Palm considering. The only thing Palm has to do really is bring out a 2.0 phone that wows people, just like Google did with Android. But 1.0 phones rarely get any love. (Storm anyone)

It's too bad Tom won't be around when that happens. And honestly, I'm not sure if I'll listen when he's gone. I'm not being snarky. There's just something about the chemestry between him and Molly that I like, but hey, who knows they might get someone even better. BOL 2.0. It might work.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Yes, but my original point is that with all their negative talk, they are hurting WebOS' chances of surviving.

If you were interesting in purchasing a new phone and you listen to BOL, would you waste your time investigating or even considering the Pre or Pixi?

And also it's not only BOL, try listening to some of the others that I mentioned.

I did say that Engadet doesn't do it as much as the others. So that might be a show to compare to the others.

All the others are so negative about WebOS, it does have a chance in the marketplace.

People do listen to their shows!

I do recognize that they give Apple some negative talk, but they balance that with some positive stuff, like mentioning all the apps or a particular apps that came out.

But it's mostly negative about Palm, WebOS and now HP (and now we have to support HP as well)!

Have you ever heard them talk about apps that came out for WebOS.

I heard them (BOL) say that there are no apps for WebOS yet?!!!!!!

Rob
    BOL will not be the same without Tom. I am already anticipating his daily show on TWIT!

What you have to keep in mind about all of these shows is that they are entertainment, much like any talk show. They comment on the headlines, and their commentary doesnt have to be factual. As many have already pointed out, many of these shows have been wrong about many things. They are not advice shows (like Leo's Tech Guy), but more akin to Oprah or Good Morning America. They are designed to entertain.

BTW, I agree that Raef (the guy who never knows what he is talking about), Natali DelConte (preggo who is all about women-power and fashion and shouldnt be in tech), and Brian Tong (usually giggles himself out of saying anything valuable) will not make for a good BOL. Molly is the only asset left (even though Brian Tong is the only real geek/reviewer on the rotation). Leo stated that he tried to get Molly...he knew that their chemistry was top notch!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    BOL will not be the same without Tom. I am already anticipating his daily show on TWIT!
    I do recognize they are entertainment shows, just like Glenn Beck.

But they have the ability to turn people off to even considering WebOS.

Which is what I am complaining about.

I think that Palm or someone from the developer community should offer to come on the show to talk about WebOS. That might help a little?

Do you agree my logic on that point?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Didn't make much since to me back in January when I mentioned CNET not showing any love for Palm, webOS, or otherwise. Here Post where I covered their commentary in pretty clear detail to show how interesting and different they talk when Palm is brought up in conversation.

Cnet gives no love...

Honestly, I understand why they have a problem with Apple, Palm, BB, WinMobile, etc simply because everyone has problems, but then if journalist were honest, they would treat everyone equally. Who am kidding, honesty doesn't sell and it is always better to stir something up or make up news.

Either way, I don't expect we'll hear anything bad about the Adroid Incredible anytime soon, since it so new and CNETs latest golden boy....even though I've already heard other news services reports the Incredible is already having problems with reboots and app shutdown. Actually, it sounds like the same problem people are having on Droid.

It does really matter, CNET is all about ratings and entertainment and so anything is up for grabs. They won't be getting my dime anytime soon and thankfully Tom is moving to Twit so I can enjoy his commentary there since I stopped listening to CNET.

Sorli...
    That's actually a REALLY good idea. I think that someone from Palm SHOULD go on BOL. It should be Ruby himself, and I'm certain that BOL would kill for the interview, and they'd be tough on him and he'd be fine.

But remember, if iPhone sales were affected by all of the all out rants that Molly has given over the past year, then the Pre would be outselling them already. I understand what you're saying, it does affect how the brand is seen, but Palm is ultimately in control of their own fate. There will be more apps, and better apps when they deal with the API situation, and there will be a faster, beefier phone, with better battery life and faster processor, and THAT's what will help. Palm will be fine. Now more than ever. When they come out with a new phone with WebOS 2.0, trust me, it will be buzz worthy.

Buzz Out Loud is about just that... Buzz. It's not meant to be all that substantive. It's tech gossip.

And I'm very serious, I think BOL is in far more trouble than Palm.
    Just listened to last Fridays BOL #1218 and was amazed on how negative Raith Needleman was talking about Palm and HP plans for webOS. Yikes.... At least Molly was a little open minded when Raith asked why HP would bother moving from Windows 7 to webOS. Couple highlights from his jab were "MS has a billion developers" and "Palm webOS has Zero developers."

Molly comments thankfully pointed out that at least webOS can stand up and considered similar performance wise to iphone OS used on the iPad. That it maybe a great option to compete with the iPad implementation.

Raith (or however you spell his name) has been in the past a strong advocate of Windows products, but if this so you would think he would see the problems running a full OS like Windows 7 on a tablet computer???

Either way, I'm looking forward to HP and Palm making things happen no matter what BOL thinks. We'll see! Sorli..
    Is CNET receiving money from Apple? Are you kidding me? What ever gave you that idea?

That was on Cnet's Vista page. What a joke.

You have to be a complete nutter to believe cnet is anti Palm. They are the most anti Apple group of pundits on the web. Before the Pre was released, you couldn't find louder cheerleaders for Palm than cnet as a whole.

Leo is a Mac guy. But he is a tech guy even more so. He goes out of his way to take anti Apple positions just to keep from appearing biased. He tries and praises every iPhone competitor that comes out and was one of the first to own a Pre.

Josh from Engadget publicly made a fool of himself for months, cheerleading for the Pre before it came out. He did so on the website, on the podcast, and on TV. He gladly gave up his credibility for his public Pre love-fest.

All of these people have two things in common:

1. They, for various reasons, wanted a strong competitor to the iPhone.

2. They were all personally disappointed and publicly embarrassed by the poor execution of the Pre and Pixi.

These are not Palm bashers; they are the best friends in the media that Palm has ever had. If they are bit hesitant to lead the march for the forthcoming pPad unicorn, it is because they've been down that road before and got flat tires for their troubles.

Why would all of Palm's strongest and loudest allies abandon it? Either they all are secretly Apple employees, or PALM HAS A PROBLEM! You decide.
    Eh, I never cared for BOL to begin with. Who cares about them...

Btw, the iPhone's multitasking is just as "real" as Android's. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's not multitasking. The problem with iPhone multitasking, IMO, is the app switcher they use... no thanks, I'll keep my cards
    That's actually a REALLY good idea. I think that someone from Palm SHOULD go on BOL. It should be Ruby himself, and I'm certain that BOL would kill for the interview, and they'd be tough on him and he'd be fine.

But remember, if iPhone sales were affected by all of the all out rants that Molly has given over the past year, then the Pre would be outselling them already. I understand what you're saying, it does affect how the brand is seen, but Palm is ultimately in control of their own fate. There will be more apps, and better apps when they deal with the API situation, and there will be a faster, beefier phone, with better battery life and faster processor, and THAT's what will help. Palm will be fine. Now more than ever. When they come out with a new phone with WebOS 2.0, trust me, it will be buzz worthy.

Buzz Out Loud is about just that... Buzz. It's not meant to be all that substantive. It's tech gossip.

And I'm very serious, I think BOL is in far more trouble than Palm.
    Umm, do you really think that BOL has far-reaching influence outside of the well-informed geek? Yes, they are probably one of the most popular tech podcasts available, but the people that were turned away wouldnt have saved Palm if they never heard BOL.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You have to be a complete nutter to believe cnet is anti Palm. They are the most anti Apple group of pundits on the web. Before the Pre was released, you couldn't find louder cheerleaders for Palm than cnet as a whole.

Leo is a Mac guy. But he is a tech guy even more so. He goes out of his way to take anti Apple positions just to keep from appearing biased. He tries and praises every iPhone competitor that comes out and was one of the first to own a Pre.

Josh from Engadget publicly made a fool of himself for months, cheerleading for the Pre before it came out. He did so on the website, on the podcast, and on TV. He gladly gave up his credibility for his public Pre love-fest.

2. They were all personally disappointed and publicly embarrassed by the poor execution of the Pre and Pixi.

These are not Palm bashers; they are the best friends in the media that Palm has ever had. If they are bit hesitant to lead the march for the forthcoming pPad unicorn, it is because they've been down that road before and got flat tires for their troubles.

Why would all of Palm's strongest and loudest allies abandon it? Either they all are secretly Apple employees, or PALM HAS A PROBLEM! You decide.
    Wrong. Leo never bought a Pre. In fact, he got into for receiving his review unit!

And Leo RARELY mentions Palm as a competitive platform...same with BOL and CNET. All it gets is "webOS is a nice platform, but not enough to save Palm".

As a long time listener of BOL and TWIT, I can boldly affirm that webOS is undervalued by the entire marketplace.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I do recognize they are entertainment shows, just like Glenn Beck.

But they have the ability to turn people off to even considering WebOS.

Which is what I am complaining about.

I think that Palm or someone from the developer community should offer to come on the show to talk about WebOS. That might help a little?

Do you agree my logic on that point?

Rob
    I agree with your logic, but I disagree that a tech podcast that caters to the geek can have the outreach necessary to influence the amount of people you are indicating.

But I would love for a Palm advocate (like Dieter) to be a guest on BOL and TWIT. Especially now with the merger (ok....acquisition), I am sure there should be an increased need for a person who knows Palm and webOS.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    ya I noticed that about CNET.. Sucks cause I like their take on all other technology. I can't wait til Android continues falling apart with fragmentation and patent infringements and palm/HP releases the next big thing.. You know something besides WebOS grabbed HPs attention dealing with some kind of device or devices Palm had lined up at R&D dept. In the pipeline.. No company will shell out that much for just a OS.. Not when they have WinMo in their pocket and now shot down their mobile7 tablet!? Something big is coming.... I have a feeling people like CNET are gonna be eating some words and I will sit back listen to my tech podcasts laughing the whole time.
    QUOTE=IcerC;2415745]Yeah they all don't care for it. Said it's a good Os a few times but mostly how its dead.[/QUOTE]
    Who bothers to waste time on Cnet to begin with... ?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Just listened to last Fridays BOL #1218 and was amazed on how negative Raith Needleman was talking about Palm and HP plans for webOS. Yikes.... At least Molly was a little open minded when Raith asked why HP would bother moving from Windows 7 to webOS. Couple highlights from his jab were "MS has a billion developers" and "Palm webOS has Zero developers."
    So it seems some of you are getting my drift and I am not wrong!

BTW, just listen to TWIT for Monday, and Leo LaPorte and his guests have finally give HP and Palm a positive spin for a change.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

Then you have NOT listen to these podcasts on a daily basis!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb_or_Sam View Post
    Eh, I never cared for BOL to begin with. Who cares about them...

Btw, the iPhone's multitasking is just as "real" as Android's. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's not multitasking. The problem with iPhone multitasking, IMO, is the app switcher they use... no thanks, I'll keep my cards
    But you should care, that's my point!

Would you purchase or even consider a WebOS phone listening to all that negative options, which people listening don't put much effort into checking the facts about the statements they put out there.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Update,

Just thought you'd like to know the other day on BOL (Ep 1219 May 3.) they read an email from a Palm supporter that very nicely and intelligently outlined whats great about Web OS and why it would work on a Tablet. Molly and most everyone else on the show seemed impressed with the writers rationale. The tone was positive.

I was impressed that they read an email from one of "us" and took it seriously. Thanks to whoever that was, it was a really well done email.
    ya I heard them read the email about WebOs and they thanked 'Mike' for sending the email and giving a good viewpoint and good argument for WebOs. Ok anyone hear named Mike? If so thanks for sticking up for WebOs
    I wonder if they are going to mention anything about the news of Palm launching on AT&T. We should be sending them these news articles to get webOS more mindshare. May 16th isnt too far away.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12