Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    According to TechCrunch (and an inside source), HP has already killed the Slate with Windows 7 and Intel. They don't work well on a slate and eat too much battery. So here's what I think led to HP buying WebOS:

1. They found that Windows 7 and Intel were not working well
    2. They saw the success of the iPad using a mobile phone's UI
    3. They actually tested WebOS + ARM on a prototype Slate (what company would take a $1 billion dollar gamble on something not even pre-alpha tested?)
    4. WebOS + ARM worked much better than Windows 7 + Intel

And then they bought Palm.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ARM??
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz39 View Post
    ARM??
    arm designs chips ,and licenses the designs out. iphone, ipad, palm pre, nexus one, n900, droid, blackberry, and about 98 percent of mobile phones use arm designs.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    arm designs chips ,and licenses the designs out. iphone, ipad, palm pre, nexus one, n900, droid, blackberry, and about 98 percent of mobile phones use arm designs.
    Yes, sorry. I meant ARM processors ( ARM architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    According to TechCrunch (and an inside source), HP has already killed the Slate with Windows 7 and Intel. They don't work well on a slate and eat too much battery. So here's what I think led to HP buying WebOS:

1. They found that Windows 7 and Intel were not working well
    2. They saw the success of the iPad using a mobile phone's UI
    3. They actually tested WebOS + ARM on a prototype Slate (what company would take a $1 billion dollar gamble on something not even pre-alpha tested?)
    4. WebOS + ARM worked much better than Windows 7 + Intel

And then they bought Palm.
    Id be interested to see a slate un OMAP4. That chip looks designed for this strategy (tablet/slate).
    My 2 cents of wild speculation...

Maybe by ditching Win7 and some of the hardware requirements needed for to run on the slate, they will be able to shrink down the dimensions to something near to or improve on what the iPad has. It has been a while since I looked at those specs but it seems that the slate was overall a little chunkier and heavier than the iPad, but it did have more under the hood including ports. The iPad got a bit of criticism because even though it was light, it was still "too heavy" for long term "angled" holding as if you were reading a book or watching a movie.

Just throwing it out there...
  7.    #7  
    beerdini, I hope so. I agree that it is a bit of a clunker. And something like a slate should be very light. Even the iPad is just pushing the weight limit - holding it in one hand is not the easiest after 10 minutes.
    I think they may have seen a future Palm tablet device that Palm has been working on.
    A tablet that will be used for content creation (not just viewing) is what I'm hoping Palm / HP presents us.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    A tablet that will be used for content creation (not just viewing) is what I'm hoping Palm / HP presents us.
    That's what I'm hoping for too but it will need massively good syncing for existing desktop creation software (especially the crap they use on Mac [sadly]).
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Have always said that the tablets are gonna replace the desktops as a means to sync our phone PIMs and a different view of our information ala Palm Desktop.
    Two things:

1. Where is this desire for a Palm Slate coming from? I have been following this board for a while and I do not remember seeing any significant mention of, let alone a desire for a tablet before the iPad was announced. Suddenly, a tablet like the iPad was a great idea and all the rage around here. Why?

2. Doesn't anyone think that just maybe Palm should concentrate on releasing a great phone that grabs a nice piece of market and mind share before transitioning that phone OS into a tablet?
    [QUOTE=dandbj13;2417246]Two things:

1. Where is this desire for a Palm Slate coming from? ....
    Because it is Anti-Apple and we like anti-apple ideas these days.

2. Doesn't anyone think that just maybe Palm should concentrate on releasing a great phone that grabs a nice piece of market and mind share before transitioning that phone OS into a tablet?
    It would be nice to just get a good footing with the phones first but HP is so big that I think with 2 separate departments working on phones and computer products they would gain more WebOS exposure and may make the consumer more aware of WebOS and accept it faster. The end result is increased sales in a shorter time frame.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    It would be nice to just get a good footing with the phones first but HP is so big that I think with 2 separate departments working on phones and computer products they would gain more WebOS exposure and may make the consumer more aware of WebOS and accept it faster. The end result is increased sales in a shorter time frame.
    The iPad is successful right out of the box, in part, because 80 million people already know how to use it and are plugged into the ecosystem. Regardless of what tech bloggers say, people love the iPhone experience and are buying more of them, not less. That iPhone, iPod Touch experience translates into iPad converts.

It seems like Palm is skipping a very important step by trying to make the first WebOS experience be a tablet as opposed to a phone. That will be about as successful as Linux notebooks IMO because you are asking people to learn a whole new OS to do basic things.

With HP behind Palm, they have time and resources to build up the number of people who are familiar with and love WebOS before trying to introduce them to a tablet. An iPhone user will not buy a WebOS tablet. A Palm Pre user will only buy a WebOS tablet. The world loves the iPhone. You have to carve out a significant enough number of people who love Palm phones. Otherwise, you are asking them to buy a nice, but incompatible device.

Also, why, all of a sudden, is it so important for Palm to make a tablet?
    good point dandbj13. Palm should, I quote Rubenstein, "improve sellthru" first.
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    good point dandbj13. Palm should, I quote Rubenstein, "improve sellthru" first.
    And they will. But HP is not going to put a whole division on hold to wait for people to purchase a cell phone. They will come out with a WebOS tablet as fast as they can. The longer HP waits the stronger footing Apple will have on that nitch market. There are plenty of PC users that would love to get an iPad but would purchase a Slate since it is from a PC maker and not Apple. They have to move now. The Phone will still be produced and in the end both product lines will assist each other in consumer growth for WebOS.
    Time will tell
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    There are plenty of PC users that would love to get an iPad but would purchase a Slate since it is from a PC maker and not Apple.
    This is the part of your argument that reveals the greatest flaw of your position. There are not plenty of PC users who want an anti-Apple product. This particular community largely exists in solidarity against Apple, as many here have an emotional, negative response to Apple. Yet, you like what they produce and just want someone else to make it so that you are not supporting Apple. I get that. But you greatly overestimate the number of likeminded people.

The vast majority have no emotional skin in the game and do not know one company from another. They only know certain brands, and associate them with personal experience or perceived quality and value. The vast majority of real people in the real world do not write posts on these boards, and they love the experience they have with Apple products. As a result, they are buying them as fast as Apple can make them.

If they are sold on the idea of a tablet device, they will be more likely to buy one that is compatible with the phone that they love, rather than the PC that they hate, or at best, feel neutral about. Palm better bring a lot more to the table than, "We can do it too, and we're not Apple!" They tried that already.

If tablets from a PC maker mattered, then HP would have been the ones selling tablets as fast as they could make them as they have been making them for years. Yet, people have been buying HP computers and not HP tablets. The lighter, touch friendly, mobile OS makes all the difference.

PC users are not buying tablets that match their PC experience, but their phone experience. That is why Android will also do well right out of the gate. WebOS sold by HP will not make a bit of difference to the consumer if the experience on the tablet is not something that they already know and trust. Palm must build trust with the consumer or their tablets will sit, unsold on shelves along with their phones. They can do this, but they can't skip any steps.

Again I ask, why is it so important that they do it at all, let alone, before anyone even knows about, or trusts their mobile experience?
    I'm with the prototype Slate idea. and I'm sure that they was very happy with the results along with seen an major opportunity to smash the ipad. why else would they all of the sudden stop the window 7 slate. I'm just hoping on engineer would in one drunken night leave it at a bar
    I wonder if HP can already infuse some cash into them before the sale is approved to give Palm more muscle in marketing and development.

Or maybe Rubenstein is not shy about spending for marketing now since he knows he will get more money in a few months.

What you thinK?

I also agree that HP will be in a hurry to make a Tablet... the longer the iPad gets unchallenged, the more stronger their stronghold on the category is going to be.
    HP Planning Palm Slate After Dumping Win 7 Model - Channel News

HP Planning Palm Slate After Dumping Win 7 Model
    By David Richards | Sunday | 02/05/2010
    In a major embarrassment to Microsoft, Hewlett Packard is set to scrap their Windows based Slate which was set to be launched as a direct competitor to the iPad. Instead the Company is now looking at a WebOS based device based on software acquired from Palm.

Last Week Hewlett Packard agreed to pay US $1.2Billion for Palm who have developed a Smartphone operating system to compete with the iPhone. During "due diligence" talks Hewlett Packard discovered that Palm had been looking at developing their own iPad competitor but due to a shortage of cash flow the Company had shelved the project.

In January Microsoft, whose chief executive, Steve Ballmer, personally unveiled the HP tablet at CES in January, he bragged about the performance that the Windows 7 based device would deliver.

Due for release later this year the HP Slate was according to insiders unable to perform as quickly as the new iPad and that developers had had problems matching the "touch screen" performance of the iPad.

HP's change of plan came when the Company discovered that Palm had a significantly faster operating system.

SmartHouse who was the only Australian media Company invited to attended the launch of the Palm Pre at the CES Show in Las Vegas, has been told that HP, is now looking at which chipset they will use with the new WebOS slate. Both Qualcomm and Intel have been consulted in recent days.

The WebOS, is currently used in the Palm Pre and Pixi handsets, and according to Palm executives has the potential to be a tablet operating system. Apple's iPad runs a version of the iPhone operating system.

According to Business Insider, HP's Todd Bradley said that HP would set out its plans for the Slate once the Palm deal has been closed.

Microsoft has also been forced to dump their own planned tablet, the Courier. The dual-screen tablet was never officially confirmed by Microsoft but there were enough leaks and tacit admissions to make its existence seem like a safe bet. Last month a job advert that appeared on a Microsoft website referred to "the forthcoming Courier digital journal". The reference was removed shortly afterwards.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast