1.    #1  
    Hi,

Somebody help me! My palm pre is showing only 4.93 Gb of total capacity when I connect to my computer (pc). I do not know why is this happening. In device info app the total memory is 8Gb and the available memory is 1.2Gb the same shown in my pc.

Thanks to anybody giving me any answer
    The amount of available memory is always less than advertised. Once you have a firmware and programs on your Pre it will have less available even though you may not have loaded anything on it yet.
  3.    #3  
    I know the available is always a little bit less, but mine is showing just 4.93GB that is about 3gb less. Yes, I installed some patches, apps, music and pictures, but all that is about 3.5Gb and that is the reason because the free space in my pre is only 1.2GB right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by henryaga View Post
    I know the available is always a little bit less, but mine is showing just 4.93GB that is about 3gb less. Yes, I installed some patches, apps, music and pictures, but all that is about 3.5Gb and that is the reason because the free space in my pre is only 1.2GB right now.
    If you use WebOS Quick Install, then use the command line feature (Tools->Linux Commandline) to run this command and return the info here:
    Code:
    df -h
    That will list all of the disk (well, NAND flash) usage on the device and should show just under 8GB of total space).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    If you use WebOS Quick Install, then use the command line feature (Tools->Linux Commandline) to run this command and return the info here:
    Code:
    df -h
    That will list all of the disk (well, NAND flash) usage on the device and should show just under 8GB of total space).
    Hi arthurthornton,

Thanks for use few seconds of your time helping me.

here is the info that I got from my pre:

-----------------------------------------
    root@palm-webos-device: df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 441.7M 407.4M 34.3M 92% /
    /dev/root 31.0M 11.3M 19.7M 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 407.4M 34.3M 92% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 407.4M 34.3M 92% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2.0M 152.0k 1.9M 7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    2.0G 92.8M 1.9G 5% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    38.7M 12.8M 25.9M 33% /var/log
    tmpfs 64.0M 168.0k 63.8M 0% /tmp
    tmpfs 16.0M 48.0k 16.0M 0% /var/run
    tmpfs 119.5M 0 119.5M 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    4.9G 3.8G 1.1G 77% /media/internal
    cryptofs 4.9G 3.8G 1.1G 77% /media/cryptofs
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    2.0G 92.8M 1.9G 5% /opt
    root@palm-webos-device:

---------------------------------
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Code:
    df -h
    Maybe this .jpg will be better:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The 4.93Gb is the bit that is available for storage of photos, video, music, apps etc. and is the bit that your PC can see when the Pre is in USB storage or Media Sync mode. In your listing it shows up as /media/internal.

The "missing" 3.07Gb is spread out amongst the rest of WebOS for its own use and is made up of all the other bits (except cryptofs - which is another view of /media/internal for app storage using encryption) in your listing.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Sorry for not responding sooner.

You repartitioned your device at some point. Did you do anything to allow more apps to be installed back when the very small space was allowed. You have 2 GB apportioned for your /var, which was the partition used for apps several months ago.

I would recommend you copy your files off your phone and webos doctor with a fresh webos doctor file.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I have two Palm Pre's. As you can see from the attached pics, the Palm Pre with webOS 1.4.5 (and is a used unit that hasn't been re-imaged with a fresh doctor) has 6.68 Gb capacity. Whereas the Palm Pre webOS with 1.4.1.1. (which has been recently doctored) only has 4.67 Gb capacity (a 2 Gb difference). Using Device Information on each unit provides the same numbers. (Please bear in mind that I'm addressing capacity, not available space.)

Regarding the Linux command line shots, I must confess that I'm Linux-illiterate. The answer may be right in front of me but I don't know enough about Linux to see it.

At any rate, why the variance? Is there perhaps a second partition on the one that seems to be lacking 2 Gb of space? If so, is it possible to delete that partition via Linux? Thanks!