1.    #1  
    I know this fix wont help most people with the fact that WebOS devices don't have the ability to open .eml attachments in email, but it was how I fixed the issue for me, so someone else might be able to use it as well.

My scenario: I pay for webhosting for my own domain and thus, my main email address is me@mydomain.com. I use Thunderbird on my home PC (via POP) to read all my mail, and I had a filter set up to forward certain emails to my gmail account which I read on my Pre.

The problem is when Thunderbird forwards emails from a filter, it ignores the client setting to forward the messages inline and instead automatically sends them as a .eml attachment. As we all know, the Pre doesn't open those. So it's an issue that could be fixed on either side, but neither seems to be working on it.

Because I have control over my domain, I was able to set up server-side filtering which forwards the message as soon as the server gets it. This is accomplished via an EXIM filter script. In truth, this is actually more efficient because if my PC isn't running, I still get the emails on my Pre.

Here's a sample EXIM script:

Code:
    if
     $header_to: contains "me@mydomain.com" and
     (
     $header_from: contains "abc.com"
     or $header_from: contains "xyz.com"
     )
    then
     unseen deliver "myotheraccount@gmail.com"
    endif
    Again, not a fix for everyone, but it works for me. Hopefully it will help someone else.
    Palm Pre Plus | WebOS 1.4.5 | Verizon
    Previous: Treo650, Palm III
    Nice work! I don't have that sort of control over my email provider, but I'm certain this will have helped some people.
  3.    #3  
    An update: For Thunderbird users - the filter forwarding always as attachment issue has been fixed in 3.1. You can now use client-side filters to forward emails to your Pre again.
    Palm Pre Plus | WebOS 1.4.5 | Verizon
    Previous: Treo650, Palm III
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    a not so easy way to open .emls files that are already on the pre:

http://www.precentral.net/save-non-s...ebrew-required
    What app opens them?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Here's how I do it within .procmailrc. I created a second account, 'phonemail', where I forward everything important before things in my real account get put into their various folders. I then configure the phone to sign in with the phonemail account, but have the email address configured as my real email address to avoid the whole interpretation of 'reply-to' crap from other people's mail clients. I use authenticated sendmail over TLS for sending, and IMAP over SSL for receiving.

Because of policies at work, and my lack of time or motivation to put up my own webmail client (and that defeats the purpose of having a nice IMAP server in the first place!!), I also forward the same to gmail. I could have just forwarded to gmail and pointed the phone to that, but there is a lag that way. Logging into my OWN server works much much nicer. I hate gmail.

Code:
    #recipes for things I don't want forwarded to the phone go up here

:0c
    ! phonemail@localhost

:0c
    ! .......@gmail.com

#recipes to remove dupes, filter subject lines and content, etc

#recipes for putting things into folders

#other cool recipes to do things like move stuff bcc'd from gmail to sent and marking it as read, etc.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 08/05/2010 at 02:32 PM.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    What app opens them?
    internalz with the integrated txt viewer
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    internalz with the integrated txt viewer
    That's interesting - why can't Internalz open them just by tapping on the attachment from the e-mail?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)