1.    #1  
    Let each vendor put their OS and hardware up for observation, and see whose is more USABLE overall.

WebOS vs. iphone vs. Android vs. blackberry vs. windows. All at the same time.

set up a pre-defined set of tasks that all devices can do with their stock software, and let 'em go live, head to head. No fake demos. No spec wars. Just pure useage. Do it in front of a live audience, film it, put it up for the world to see. Audience cheering encouraged.

I think WebOS would fare quite well in this type of real-world competition.

mebbe have a core email address, sms number, and IM user to send things to. Set those things up in each phone's addressbook before the competition. Allow them to all be signed into their IM ahead of time, to eliminate any issues with lag.

Take a photo
    sms it to contact, with specific text
    email it to contact, with specific text
    send it to contact, with specific text
    (any of the above can be done simultaneously, if the phone allows)

Do a web search for something
    share results with contacts

phone a contact

etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure someone could put together a pretty cool script for the shootout. The above is a lame start.

Back in the day, IBM would host these, and Microsoft would attend. It was windows 95/NT vs. OS/2.

I wish the culture was still like that. Truth is, I think the other guys would be scared of something like this, and all decline.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Honestly as much as I love web os it would lose the speed just isn't there and when you compare it to the other more established os's it looks even worse
    And I don't know any audience who would cheer at watching apps open on a phone
    A stock WebOS phone would lose. They should totally show up with a 800Mhz Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    A stock WebOS phone would lose. They should totally show up with a 800Mhz Pre Plus.
    Except that any kind of fair competition wouldn't allow that and if it isn't fair what would be the point?
    I think webOS would win when it comes to multitasking and elegance of use. For example try pairing a Bluetooth device on an Android phone, it's excrutiating.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    there's a palmspot video doing this called ibeat iphone
  8.    #8  
    The point is, which is more important in the real world? An efficient, consistent UI, or just raw speed? Keep in mind, the speed will come to us eventually. Getting a UI rebuilt is a much more difficult thing to achieve, so we are ahead in that respect, I think.

I really would like to see how the various OSs handle tasks. I still think WebOS would shine.

Another thing to add to the script: Incoming IMs, Txt, and Email that must be responded to. See how that interrupts the workflow and such. IMHO, WebOS really shines here with the combination of cards and unobtrusive notifications.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Except that any kind of fair competition wouldn't allow that and if it isn't fair what would be the point?
    Well it is an "OS" shootout, not a "Hardware + OS"shoot out. If anything, they should test everything on emulators of equally made computers, if we're just testing OS. I don't think going into an OS shootout with just a stock Pre is really fair to WebOS. Also, I was joking.