Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    <<Mod Edit>>
    http://www.precentral.net/dataviz-do...ebos-cancelled

DataViz has been bought by RIM..DTG will not be coming to webOS.

---------

Don't know if anyone else got this email, thought it was interesting they are blaming Palm for it not being released, IN A YEAR.

Update on Documents To Go for Palm webOS

We at DataViz would like to apologize for not responding sooner to our loyal Palm customers about the availability of Documents To Go for webOS. We have felt it best to keep our public webOS discussion to a minimum until we had concrete information about our webOS products to offer you.

We are continuing our efforts to work with Palm to clear the path for a full editing version of Documents To Go. However, given the current environment at Palm, as well as the necessary collaboration with the device manufacturer that is required to bring an app like ours to a platform like webOS, our Documents To Go editor product for webOS is essentially at a standstill.

As soon as we have any additional information, we will inform you immediately.

Thanks for your passion surrounding our solution.

The DataViz Team
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/09/2010 at 09:32 PM.
    in related news : man crawls out from under rock holding Pre...
  3. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I got the email. I unsubscribed from their list. That'll show 'em!
    DataViz blames Palm
    Palm blames DataViz
    DataViz blames Palm
    Palm blames DataViz....

ad nauseum
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I think people are jumping the gun here.

Dataviz cannot make Docs to Go until Palm enables hybrid SDK/PDK apps. According to what Palm execs said at the Developper Day, such apps won't be possible until much later.

Sorry to say that, but I doubt this is only Dataviz's fault. Palm is also on a strict development budget.

These are growing pains. We'll get doc editing eventually. In the meantime, how about some web solutions like Google Docs and Zoho writer? Do they work on the Pre browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by tk 421 View Post
    Dataviz cannot make Docs to Go until Palm enables hybrid SDK/PDK apps.
    bollocks. Dataviz could have gotten a hybrid app on day 1 if they wanted to. There is ALREADY a hybrid dataviz app on webos--the document viewer.

And there are pure SDK apps to allow some word processing on the phone. (Like Scratch.) Now that dataviz has bowed out, hopefuly there will be more.
    Quote Originally Posted by tk 421 View Post
    I think people are jumping the gun here.

Dataviz cannot make Docs to Go until Palm enables hybrid SDK/PDK apps. According to what Palm execs said at the Developper Day, such apps won't be possible until much later.

Sorry to say that, but I doubt this is only Dataviz's fault. Palm is also on a strict development budget.

These are growing pains. We'll get doc editing eventually. In the meantime, how about some web solutions like Google Docs and Zoho writer? Do they work on the Pre browser?
    I use Zoho and am very satisfied - I like it because I can access my documents from my computers and my phone.
    This just in... (Facebook post from DataViz)

DataViz, Inc. We regret to announce we have made the difficult decision to cancel development for Docs To Go for WebOS. Unfortunately we weren't able to overcome technical hurdles and that, in combination with another vendor announcing they will bring a competitive product to market, has lead us to this disappointing conclusion. For background click here:Documents To Go for palm webOS

Documents To Go for palm webOS
    Here is the actual text... probably a bit easier for some.

Documents To GoŽ for palm webOS

We regret to announce that we have made the difficult decision to not produce a Web OS version of Documents To Go. We understand that our delay in this area has caused much disappointment to our current and very loyal user base. We would like to explain in more detail the reasoning behind our decisions thus far.

Our intention had been to replace the Palm Viewers, which were based on the Documents To Go technology, with a full editing, aftermarket version of Documents To Go. In order to do this in a way that we felt would be most intuitive to users, we wanted to have the full version seamlessly replace the built in viewers. To do this, we needed some technical help from Palm. Because Palm was focusing on other areas at the time (including their very survival), and there was no official information available allowing developers to help ourselves, i.e., an SDK, there was a delay in getting us this information. Rather than do a substantially larger project that would result in a "sub-optimal" user experience, we decided to wait. This wait was much longer than anyone at DataViz expected. During this wait, we focused our efforts on other smartphone platforms, not because we were not loyal to Palm, but because it made "business sense" to do so. We have now come to the realization that it is not in DataViz' nor our users' best interests to continue the wait and produce the full version. We understand that another developer has chosen to create an editing Office product for webOS and we wish them the best. Again, we apologize to our users for taking this long to reach, what is for DataViz and many of our users, a disappointing conclusion.
    Waaaah, we can't compete because we can't be first.
    Well if they cannot handle a little heat, then it is time for them to ge tout of the fire. I see no good reason why they could not go forward.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Now that we know QuickOffice Connect Mobile is all but officially confirmed to be shipping with (in RO form) and available for webOS 2.0 I no longer care about DataViz and there wackiness.

Regardless, thanks for the news.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    it doesnt make sense. "we were unable to do it, but somehow a competitor was able to magically get it done."
    wow, so this is Palm's fault.

poor dataviz, what a weezle emai.

we all know the big money is on adroid market. Just have the stones to say that.
    I am totally unfamiliar with Quick Office. Does anyone know how well it compares to Docs to Go?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Don't worry guys. Palm has something up its sleeve.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All news is whack news, except hardware news >which is good news. :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by iwalkthrowwalls View Post
    Don't worry guys. Palm has something up its sleeve.
    that's either a photoshop or you just made this whole leaks from webos2.0 thing a lot worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    that's either a photoshop or you just made this whole leaks from webos2.0 thing a lot worse.
    He isn't posting anything we haven't seen before..... http://www.precentral.net/china-telc...uickoffice-tow

Only difference was back then there wasn't anyone crying about NDA violations ;-)
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/03/2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Ill tell you one thing, it's definitely not photoshop.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast