Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm glad we will have something better than we have now. I'm sure HP made sure there was going be some kind of solution to deal properly with office docs....for it's millions of business customers.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Here's what I really want to know:

Will QuickOffice allow you to open, edit, and save Word 03 & Word 07, Excel 03 & Excel 07, and Powerpoint 03 & 07 files on the USB/media partition of your Pre?

Won't help me if it's not compatible with MS Office 03/07 formats, or requires an outside service like Google Docs.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post

not.
    What are we looking at?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I'm not sure what you call it when you have a launch partner that never actually comes up with a product.
    Getting Palmed.
    What's the point of having launch partners when it really doesn't mean anything?
    Agreed...Good question.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    It's pretty simple. What this means is Palm/HP isn't giving DataViz lower level access to things they need in order to produce an application like many desire. They've obviously worked out an agreement of some sorts with Quickoffice that gives them what they need.

If Palm/HP wants to be even somewhat relevant in the tablet market they will have to launch with a full office suite of some sorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's pretty simple. What this means is Palm/HP isn't giving DataViz lower level access to things they need in order to produce an application like many desire. They've obviously worked out an agreement of some sorts with Quickoffice that gives them what they need.
    No! What IS pretty simple and obvious is that QuickOffice have the level of competency required, to to make use of the facilities which Palm has provided, to get the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    No! What IS pretty simple and obvious is that QuickOffice have the level of competency required, to to make use of the facilities which Palm has provided, to get the job done.
    As someone who used to be a WebOS developer I can clearly tell you that's not the case. There are a lot of things lacking in the current SDK that limit developers from doing a lot of things.
    Good for Dataviz. Finally a credible corporation is revealing the problems with Palm's non-existent SDK. FWIW, Dataviz is making a killing off the Android, iOS, and Blackberry platforms. I'm sure they'll do fine with WP7 too. I'm not sure why Palm decided to jilt a long-term supporter like Dataviz. Very short-sighted on Palm's part.
    As someone who used to be a WebOS developer I can clearly tell you that's not the case. There are a lot of things lacking in the current SDK that limit developers from doing a lot of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Good for Dataviz. Finally a credible corporation is revealing the problems with Palm's non-existent SDK. FWIW, Dataviz is making a killing off the Android, iOS, and Blackberry platforms. I'm sure they'll do fine with WP7 too. I'm not sure why Palm decided to jilt a long-term supporter like Dataviz. Very short-sighted on Palm's part.
    Or... maybe as is being reported on the Crackberry site, the rebuff is related to RIM's (Blackberry) acquisition of DataViz. They were waiting for critical mass before they committed, but now have a new girlfriend so no longer care.

If the purchase price was only $50 mil as is being reported, don't know how influential a corporation they were anyway. It's just that all the Palm faithful have a long standing love affair with DataViz for the same reason they are staying with Palm (nostalgia, familiarity, etc). When a new office suite is released, everyone will quickly get over DataViz.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I'm sure with HP's money we will have a office suite.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    I'm sure with HP's money we will have a office suite.
    I agree, it is already known that they will. It is funny how we all have opinions, but none of us can possibly be aware of all of the "behind the scenes" intrigue which plays into what we see in public.

It never pays to be too fast to demonize or deify any company. And we see a lot of that in these forums.
    RIM BUYS DATAVIZ!!! >>> real reason....end of story....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    As a "launch partner", I am sure that Dataviz wasn't just working with the publicly released SDK.

If Palm/HP wants to be even somewhat relevant in the tablet market they will have to launch with a full office suite of some sorts.
    A full office suite will be nice..does it really matter to everyone who makes it?? As long as it's available right..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Unless we have an answer from QuickOffice on editing and saving capabilities, we can't be sure of this. However, Evernote allows to sychronize and edit my documents back and forth between my PC, Web, and Pre. I don't know why DataViz was unable to do that. I know most Pre owners would have been satisfied with a dedicated Synergy website if we could edit, attach final version and e-mail.

Let's face it. Most of us edit our documents and have sometimes had more than one version between our various computers. This would have allowed us to always grab the current version from the web or e-mail as an attachment to anywhere.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Ok Ok guys, Seriously though. I'm sorry, but if you're going to be doing word and excel documents on your Palm Pre with a 3.1" touch screen... you're doing it wrong. Even with quick edits, it's a pain in the William Shatner even with zooming. Zoom in and zoom out, I'm sorry I'd have little patience trying to do documents on the Pre or Pixi as is. When we get the new larger device, it may be easier, but seriously..
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/09/2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Language
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Ok Ok guys, Seriously though. I'm sorry, but if you're going to be doing word and excel documents on your Palm Pre with a 3.1" touch screen... you're doing it wrong. Even with quick edits, it's a pain in the *** even with zooming. Zoom in and zoom out, I'm sorry I'd have little patience trying to do documents on the Pre or Pixi as is. When we get the new larger device, it may be easier, but seriously..
    Okay. You have room and the inclination for a bigger device. Many of us don't, but would still like the ability of edit documents on the go w/o having to have access to the internet. We'd also like some type of synchronization between what's on our phone and what's on our desktop or web.
    It worked surprisingly well on PalmOS. Remember, it doesn't have to display those huge finger-sized fonts; it could be using the screen a lot more efficiently with a tiny font. Most apps just don't do this because webOS lacks the precise control of a stylus.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast