Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Hi
    While am on a phone call, i could not be able to open sprint or google map, also could't open any website?? is that normal ? if so what they mean about multitasking???

thank you
    It is normal you cannot use data and calls at the same time unless on wifi and you can multitask just about anything else
    you can do that if you are on a wifi network tho... fyi

but yeah, its a network limitation (CDMA) that you cannot do data and voice at the same time. If the webOS was on ATT, then you can definitely do that.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    open up your contacts, your calendar, your memos, your tasks, your settings, your apps...they all open & run! it's simply the data you can't use (unless, as stated above, you're on wifi)

i don't believe the limitation will be existing on Sprint's 4G network, nor will it on Verizon's LTE network... It doesn't 'technically' exist on AT&T, however, the speed is greatly slowed while on the phone...

Remember, multitasking has nothing really to do with data use, it is simply the ability to switch between apps and have multiple apps open at the same time. WebOS blows the competition away with this since it does it with SUCH AMAZING EASE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    It doesn't 'technically' exist on AT&T, however, the speed is greatly slowed while on the phone...
    I wouldn't know about AT&T GSM, being European myself, but my O2 Pre's data speed does not noticeably sink while I'm talking.

I'm so glad that Europe is a CDMA-free zone. I can't count how often I'm talking and using data services at the same time. Only being able to do that while logged into a WiFi network would seriously bum me out.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I'm so glad that Europe is a CDMA-free zone. I can't count how often I'm talking and using data services at the same time. Only being able to do that while logged into a WiFi network would seriously bum me out.
    Oh, it's annoying alright, no worries there! Just yesterday I was on the phone with a friend making movie plans & I needed to check another time so I flipped back to Flixster & realized AGAIN that I couldn't use data since I was on the phone! Hopefully soon we get that corrected.
    where do you all live that you don't have wifi everywhere?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestonJames View Post
    where do you all live that you don't have wifi everywhere?
    The U.S. doesn't have much of any open wifi networks unless your on at&t and even their wifi network is pretty weak(small).
    I guess we're just spoiled in fargo. We have it almost everywhere here.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Really, I've not once came across an open wifi network in cali. Alot of home wifi networks, but all are locked. Who supports these wifi networks you speak of?
    pretty much every restaurant, coffee shop, mall, etc. Even several bars I know of. Most advertise it on doors/windows. And that's a lot of places because my town is pretty over-retailed, imo.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Cool, I may not be looking hard enough. I know Mcd's and starbucks have wifi, but that's not everywhere you go. I did read some place on the web that the U.S. is way behind the rest of the modern world in wifi deployment.
    When I went toronto, my pre picked way more wifi than here in atlanta. Big difference in number of open networks available.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestonJames View Post
    I guess we're just spoiled in fargo. We have it almost everywhere here.
    Gotta be some benefit from living in Fargo
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    yeah. It's not the weather...
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    they must be running the hotspots off of propane generators. and they are probably all the old 802.11b routers that were built before there was security available...

(just kidding, no flaming please)
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I wouldn't know about AT&T GSM, being European myself, but my O2 Pre's data speed does not noticeably sink while I'm talking.

Yea, the issue is definitely with AT&T's network.

Last I heard Verizon was experimenting with telephony over Rev. A which would give the same effect as current GSM networks allowing calls and data use at the same time on a CDMA network.
    CDMA network limitation.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I don't find myself needing to use data when I'm actually talking on the phone. Does anybody actually do that a lot? I know AT&T advetises it, but...

Maybe since I'm on Sprint I don't know what I'm missing...
    every now and then I wish I had it, like on boring conference calls where wifi isn't available. also when using MHS it would be nice. but not enough to put up with AT&T. LTE is right around the corner, too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast