Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I hate to say it, but the time has finally come to leave my Pre for another device. Why? I have tried to hobble along with no real PIM for 10 months now, but it is costing me too much professionally.

So what device am I going to that is so much better? It is not nearly as shiny, but the trusty T3 is my "new" main device.

Sorry Pre, I really wanted to believe
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    I agree the pre didn't get the pim software that palm os 3-4-5 had. and the t3 is a tank of a device. There relay isn't anything to be sorry about, palm slipped on this one.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    You are more than entitled to your opinion, but I don't understand, you are not able to use Goggle calendar or Microsoft Outlook or Palm Desktop? All three sync with the Pre perfectly, MS Outlook with Pocketmirror, and Palm Desktop with Echo and the Google sync is in the cloud. And if you don't like that you can always use the Missing Sync.

Professionally I use Google and it works just fine. I had to get used to the idea of having different calendars instead of catagories, but I actually prefer it because it syncs automatically with any computer I use.

So what do you need from PIM and how has Outlook, MS Exchange, MS Outlook and Google not been able to serve your needs.

I'm not trying to be ****y, I really want to know, just in case I can help.
  4.    #4  
    I have no problem with the contacts (much better than palmos due to synergy, imo) and calendar. Memos blow, but I don't use them that much. The challenge is tasks, I live and die by my task management.

In the past hour or so I took one more look at what the options were. They have grown since the last time I looked, none are really mature yet though. I need both recurring tasks and categories. It is surprising how few actually have that combination, but I did find two:

Echo Tasks
    Toodler

If anyone knows more, I would love to know

Echo tasks is $40 and syncs with the old palm desktop, boo.

Toodler is available in the beta catalog for another week or two and then will be going to the app catalog

Toodler is a cloud app, there is an upload feature for your old palm tasks on the web site.

Also, the roadmap includes plans for saved filters, a fantastic feature of DateBk6

So, maybe not all is lost, I will give this a go and see if I can make it work. Otherwise, T3 my old friend, welcome back.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Ah, I see. Tasks. Well, in that case I feel your pain. The only reason why WebOS doesn't sync tasks is because Google hasn't released the API yet apparently. But yes, Echo does sync to Palm Desktop, and listen, every smart phone has a PIM solution that you have to pay for, even the iPHone. If you really can't live without syncing to Palm Desktop then yes, it's worth $40.

I'm just checking out Toodler myself right now. I prefer it because I want a sync solution that I can use on any computer. So far it's okay.

And if you need a memo text editing program...

There's Scratch... I've been using it for a while and I love it. It's still not finished, but it's damn close.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I use pocket mirror from chapura to sync my contacts to outlook and love it. It also has the capability to do tasks but, I don't use it. I took a quick look at it and it does have category and reoccurring capabilities for tasks and can sync directly to your computer.

I use the wireless sync feature. No cables is a dream. Every morning and evening I just hit he sync now button and bingo... it is all done over my wireless network directly to my PC.

If you have not checked it out I highly recommend it.

I use this phone as my business phone and love it!
    I'm telling you, if Chapura would let me sync to more than one computer, then I'd still be using Outlook
    This is one of the key reasons why I didn't understand the reason for Palm to abandon local syncing with Palm Desktop. They were no longer the complete solution and made you rely on 3rd parties to make up THEIR lack of functionality in the OS. And to get in bed with google as your main partner was just dumb since their PIM was and still is a bit inadequate. Imagine how smooth the transition would've been if you could just plug in your webOS phone and sync like you always could and then slowly work your way to a cloud solution as it became more complete and not patched together with this app and that app and so on. Many old PalmOS users were simply not willing to suffer the growing pains, and rightly so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Ah, I see. Tasks. Well, in that case I feel your pain. The only reason why WebOS doesn't sync tasks is because Google hasn't released the API yet apparently.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    As much as I would love to agree with you, Palm Desktop wasn't a complete PIM solution either. They let it go to pasture when they realized that they couldn't outdo Outlook.

I loved Palm Desktop back in the day but today, its really showing its age, and Outlook is really the top of the line. And I can understand Palm not wanting to even try if you can't top Outlook.
    it might not have been as robust as Outlook, but it didn't need to be. If you needed that robustness on the Desktop, then you used outlook. What it did do was provide synchronization for all the PIM functions which isn't covered now. Many people that needed greater functionality had it on their phone using Agendus or Datebk. PD still offered a desktop solution that gave you all the basics and did it well and better than google.
    PD never had to be as good or better than Outlook or be better than it. Besides, Outlook is big, clunky and a lot more than what many needed.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Hey, don't get me wrong, I LOVED PD and basically wore it out until I needed more functionality. But what I'd LOVE is if Pocketmirror could sync Outlook with any number of computers I want, and sync automatically over wifi when in range.

That would rock.

And apparently there IS a WebOS Agendus on the way. Hopefully it's not a port of the iPhone app, because it was a shadow of its former self, but I really loved Agendus back in the day. And I'd love to see what they come up with.

With WebOS, Palm wanted us to finally let go of plugging a wire into our phone and syncing with a desktop. They want the Pre to be a Cloud phone, desktop independant, and I have to admit, I have drunk the kool aid, and it tastes great. Like grape actually.

Speaking of cloud PIM solutions, I found ANOTHER...

Done

I'm going to try it once I have the time.
    yeah, I heard Agendus on the iPhone stinks. I still thought the PalmOS version was the best out there compared to winMob and BB.

And it's one thing to give the option of letting go. It's another to just abandon it when the cloud isn't yet mature.

And Done looks nice, but I'm tired of 3rd party solutions. I don't want one company for this, another company for that and so on. Maybe for things outside the PIM, but I want my PIM functionality all in one. What you refer to as Kool-Aid I call laziness and taking the easy way out while trying to dress it up as innovation.

I also find it odd that no one takes issue with basing the PIM of your OS on company that is also your 2nd largest competitor. Doesn't that seem like one of the stupidest business decisions you ever heard? If I'm google, I make every cool thing I add to Google's services a b*tch to to work with on webOS if it ever makes it there at all, and just keep all the new toys on Android.
    Yeah I'm sure back in 2007 it was a brilliant idea to use Google. Now, not so much. And I don't think it's laziness. I think that they realized they just don't have the resources to do better than Google for cloud services, but they also provide Exchange sync if you don't like Google.

Maybe they should have come up with their own way to sync with older versions of Palm Desktop and Outlook, but if they don't have the resources to do it themselves perfectly, then let others do it. But I understand your point and perhaps they may be forced to look at other PIM solutions if Google decides that it no longer wants to play nice with WebOS.
    Cool. You should be happy with your device, regardless of which it is. My Pre works great with Outlook and Google calendars/contacts etc (synergy rocks). I never use tasks and still don't to this day so I guess I can't relate but you need your functionality so it's all good.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    that's part of the problem. Exchange costs money for those that don't have it, and others might want separation of their work and personal info. Trust me, I've been knee deep in these convos since before the Pre came out. The Exchange answer is lame at best because it's a paid solution and one that forces you to Outlook. I do call it laziness. They've had 13yrs of experience in the Mobile OS business and they let go of some of the fundamental things that made their OS a success. The first one being a turnkey solution. Granted the overall OS is a success, but I think it's far from a lack of resources that left out quite a few key things that have or had many on here annoyed and/or frustrated. And not just here. You can go on Palm's forums as well as facebook and see many of the same complaints. The facebook ones are more the voice of the masses too, not just us geek types that roam these forums. I blame the outsiders that brought some of the Apple philosophy along with them. The saddest part is they left out the MOST important aspect of apple, their marketing.
    It's too bad that RememberTheMilk doesn't have an official application, it is the best task handling service/application that I have ever used. I love it. It supports adding tasks by email, IM, web, application, etc.

Remember The Milk: Online to do list and task management

I do think there is a third party app that is available somewhere though.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's too bad that RememberTheMilk doesn't have an official application, it is the best task handling service/application that I have ever used. I love it. It supports adding tasks by email, IM, web, application, etc.

Remember The Milk: Online to do list and task management

I do think there is a third party app that is available somewhere though.

I use Rmilk and the i.rmilk.com works quite well frmo the browser
    The RTFM webos app does not work for me - I get only the spinning wheel
    but Cloud Tasks looks promising
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...oud-tasks.html
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Check out Outline Tracker & Basecamp! Not a cheap solution but arguably has more options than Palm OS solutions and takes advantage of WebOS features.
  20.    #20  
    I have found that toododle.com/slim is actually quite functional. Toodled is ok, but not complete. I'll check out done.

I may be wrong but outliner did not have repeating tasks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast