Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I've been reading for hours and hours on how to get this stupid homebrew ***** to work, and I have been unsuccessful. Do not tell me to look in another f'ng thread, because I've looked at pretty much all of them.

    Anyways, how do I get WebOSQuickInstall to recognize my pre? YES, I have Dev mode on, YES, I have just charge set as the main option on my pre, YES, I have tried the "attempt novacom reinstallation" button about 30 times now, YES, I have the latest version of Java and YES, I have went to control panel > add/remove programs and tried to find novacom, BUT IT ISN'T THERE! It's not even in services.msc either. I've looked on where I can download this novacom driver separately from the webosquickinstall, but I haven't found one.

    This is my last resort, so please someone help me with this. And please do not link me to the 100+ page long thread unless it has my exact problem and solution and you give me the page number.

    -btw, I'm on Windows XP 32-Bit
  2. Jmark61's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    #2  
    Do you have the most recent version of WEBOSQI (I'm not sure what it is)? Do you have the most recent WEBOS 1.4.1 installed? I ask these questions because whether it was coincidence or not I've had trouble if the answer to both of those questions is not yes.

    Do you have google desktop? If so you can do a search for novacom to see if it's on your computer. Alternatively you could use the slower "find" function on your pc.

    I know this goes against the instructions, but this past summer when I must have read the directions wrong I had my Pre connected to my computer in the usb drive mode and my recollection is that it worked. If all else is failing...try that.

    Restart the PC??
  3. #3  
    One thing you may not have tried:

    1) Unplug your USB cable
    2) Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
    3) Uninstall the entry called "Windows Driver Package - Palm (WinUSB)"
    4) Reboot
    5) Now try connecting

    Other things to try:

    1) Are you sure you've got the latest version of WebOS Quick Install?
    2) Have you tried using a different USB port?

    If all else fails, just try it on a friend's computer.

    Hope this helps
    SqyArc
  4.    #4  
    Turns out that I didn't have the latest webosquickinstall (even though the tutorial on the front page told me it was), so I updated it but it still doesn't work. I'm going to try the different computer thing.
    This crap shouldn't be so difficult.
    Last edited by vickers500; 04/17/2010 at 07:31 PM.
  5. #5  
    Maybe edit that last part of your post - I promise you it won't go down well :P
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Maybe edit that last part of your post - I promise you it won't go down well :P
    I'll agree with this...

    WOSQI is not difficult at all. You must be doing something wrong. Keep us updated with what you are trying and we'll try our best to help.

    Oh, you should install the Palm SDK. That should get novacom up and running.
  7. #7  
    Make sure you use the original Palm USB cable too. The one with the silver thumb spots at the ends.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 04/17/2010 at 07:40 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by vickers500 View Post
    Turns out that I didn't have the latest webosquickinstall (even though the tutorial on the front page told me it was), so I updated it but it still doesn't work. I'm going to try the different computer thing.

    Whoever made webosquickinstall really really sucks as a developer. This crap shouldn't be so difficult.
    Like the other ppl have said, be careful with you say about webOS quick install developer. He has to be the most impressive and most awesome developer for webOS that I know and i can prove his software works perfectly!
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  9.    #9  
    "Oh, you should install the Palm SDK. That should get novacom up and running."
    Ok good, I had downloaded the setup file of the palm sdk because I heard it might help, but haven't installed it yet because I've been installing so much other crap.

    And yes, whenever something causes so many problems, it's difficult. When you follow the instructions to the teeth and it STILL doesn't work, then something is wrong. Before this device not connected stuff, it took me 2 hours of googling just to figure out how to get webosquickinstall up and running!

    When you cannot just double click the file to run it, and you have to use a batch file or command prompt just to run the program, then there's something wrong. I went and associated jar files with the javaw.exe file that I know was correct, and it wouldn't run. Like I said, when you have to use a batch file or command prompt to open something, then there is nothing impressive or awesome about the developer.


    edit- Ok, I just tried installing the palm sdk, yet when it was almost finished, the progress bar went back all the way while saying "rolling back action:" and then gave me this message: The wizard was interrupted before Palm webOS SDK could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation another time, please run setup again. Click Finish to exit the wizard.
    Last edited by vickers500; 04/17/2010 at 07:45 PM.
  10. #10  
    Just in case this is not the thread you used, check this WebOS Quick Install thread out.
    Make sure you have the most resent Java install also.
    You also need to make sure you have XP SP2 installed.
    Remember the Palm USB cable . Do not use a generic or other brand. Many will not work right for the Pre/Pixi phones.

    The jar files should open right up if you have the latest Java installed.

    Keep us up to date.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  11. #11  
    Ok, we get it. You aren't a big fan of Jason.

    There is no need to use command prompt to get WOSQI. Try this out:
    1. Make sure you have the latest version of Java.
    2. Install the Palm SDK.
    3. Reboot your PC.
    4. Check to make sure 'Palm Novacom' is running. In Vista/7, you open the Start Menu, type "services", and open the Services application. (I know you have XP, but I don't know how to see running services with that OS )
    5. Download the WOSQI .jar file and save it to your desktop.
    6. Double click the .jar file, and the program wil open (as long as your Java is up to date)

    That should be all you need...

    --edit
    I'm looking into the rollback problem. Seems it's a 32-bit XP issue. Keep trying to install the SDK and it should work...
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 04/17/2010 at 07:55 PM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    (I know you have XP, but I don't know how to see running services with that OS )
    You surprise me. Think.....you remember? When I tell you, your gonna hit yourself.......got it yet?

    Ok
    remember msconfig from run command?

    Ok You can slap you forehead now.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    You surprise me. Think.....you remember. When I tell you, your gonna hit yourself.......got yet?

    Ok
    remember msconfig from run command?

    Ok You can slap you forehead now.
    Ha. Sorry, it's been a while since I've used XP. I'm only 24 and never had my own personal computer with XP on it to play around with and explore lol...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Ok, we get it. You aren't a big fan of Jason.

    There is no need to use command prompt to get WOSQI. Try this out:
    1. Make sure you have the latest version of Java.
    2. Install the Palm SDK.
    3. Reboot your PC.
    4. Check to make sure 'Palm Novacom' is running. In Vista/7, you open the Start Menu, type "services", and open the Services application. (I know you have XP, but I don't know how to see running services with that OS )
    5. Download the WOSQI .jar file and save it to your desktop.
    6. Double click the .jar file, and the program wil open (as long as your Java is up to date)

    That should be all you need...

    --edit
    I'm looking into the rollback problem. Seems it's a 32-bit XP issue. Keep trying to install the SDK and it should work...
    I may not be as tech savvy as some of you are, but I certainly know that I have the most recent version of Java, I even went and uninstalled it and then reinstalled it just to be completely sure. So do not recommend updating java anymore, I have done it already.

    And no, having the most recent version of Java will NOT make it doubleclickable. It does not properly associate itself with jar files. I even went and manually associated it with javaw.exe (which I read everywhere is the correct association file), and it still did not work, so yes I do have to use the batch file. Anyways, forget about that, that's not my concern right now, and I'm fine with clicking the batch file.

    And I know how to see the services in xp, its services.msc, and I went there and it isn't there. I'll take your advice and keep trying to reinstall, but I'm in about 4 times trying to install it now, and it still doesn't want to install.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Ha. Sorry, it's been a while since I've used XP. I'm only 24 and never had my own personal computer with XP on it to play around with and explore lol...
    I"m only 24 too, x2. OK so my kids are your age but at least you can say that you never had to deal with all the pre-windows garbage and had to upgrade all the times many of us did, just to get windows to work.

    So Vickers, Hows it going?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  16. #16  
    Hmm.. Just one more java-related post

    In command line, type "java -version". Does it recognize that it's there?
    This is my last 'java' post. I promise haha =)
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Hmm.. Just one more java-related post

    In command line, type "java -version". Does it recognize that it's there?
    This is my last 'java' post. I promise haha =)
    Yes it does.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I"m only 24 too, x2. OK so my kids are your age but at least you can say that you never had to deal with all the pre-windows garbage and had to upgrade all the times many of us did, just to get windows to work.

    So Vickers, Hows it going?
    Hey, I still grew up using Windows 95 and 98 with AOL dial-up internet service haha. I taught myself HTML when I was 12 so I could make stupid websites on Geocities and Tripod
  19. #19  
    From what I've found, it seems the rollback bug was fixed by Palm in the SDK. I've been posting from my Pre all day, so trying to sort through all of this isn't exactly easy lol.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    From what I've found, it seems the rollback bug was fixed by Palm in the SDK. I've been posting from my Pre all day, so trying to sort through all of this isn't exactly easy lol.
    I was just in another thread, and there were multiple users claiming it WASN'T fixed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions