Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    To the OP:

Have you noticed that almost all of your posts in this thread have been aggressive to the point of belligerent, yet people have continued to help you?

My first advice for you on getting this fixed and working, is to take a break.

Have a cigarette, go for a jog, do the sudoku from Sunday's paper. Whatever. Nobody should get this worked up over FREE software.

Once you've got all that sorted out, there are really only a few things that are needed, and if you dislike WebOSQuickInstall so much, don't use it. It is one of two perfectly acceptable and easy ways to get homebrew on your Pre. The other is the Preware installer, which will install preware directly to your phone without WebOSQuickInstall.

You need the following things:

1. No matter how certain you are that your Pre is in developer mode, check again. Type in the old konami code, and make absolutely certain that developer mode is enabled. Every post like yours that I have seen, was because somebody was just certain that they were in dev mode, and they really weren't.

2. Make sure novacom is running properly on your desktop.

3. go to Application:Preware - WebOS Internals and scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page. Just after the section on installing Preware using WebOSQuickInstall, there is a very brief section on using the command line, and then a section on using a program called the Preware Installer, which does nothing but install preware.
    Well said VeeDub65. I'm surprised that so many people offered help with such negative and agressive posts.
    Last edited by texas_ags; 04/17/2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Addine email notification
    I guess it's because Vickers is new and we still can remember that we were all there at one time. And the Vista issues back then. It was a few weeks of hell. Then we compared notes and someone would write the good install thread.
    Oh I forgot. Welcome to PreCentral Vickers.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I guess it's because Vickers is new and we still can remember that we were all there at one time.

Absolutely right, and that's why I posted what I hope are some helpful comments too. I just think it's important to point these things out once in a while, and make sure that frustration is directed appropriately.
  5.    #25  
    "Have you noticed that almost all of your posts in this thread have been aggressive to the point of belligerent, yet people have continued to help you? "
    - You would be upset too if you spent 3 days trying to find out how to get this to work. My anger isn't toward the posters, but rather the developer who made it so difficult to get this working.

"Whatever. Nobody should get this worked up over FREE software." - I'm not getting free software. The point of this thread is to get free software (a touted feature of the pre which I imagine is included in the cost.

"Well said VeeDub65. I'm surprised that so many people offered help with such negative and agressive posts." - The forums I visit usually are that way, combined with my frustration of this homebrew stuff, yeah I am being a bit of an ***, however the negativity is just venting.

"Oh I forgot. Welcome to PreCentral Vickers." - Thank you.

Again, sorry if any of you took that as an insult to yourself, I didn't mean to be disrespectful to YOU.
    Quote Originally Posted by vickers500 View Post
    Again, sorry if any of you took that as an insult to yourself, I didn't mean to be disrespectful to YOU.
    Like I said, I (and several others) know what it's like to be new to this kind of stuff and trying to figure it out. That's why people have been trying to help. My post was just a friendly, non-authoritative reminder to vent in the right direction. I'm not a mod, just another poster.

Back to the issue at hand, have you double checked that you are dev mode, double checked that novacom is running properly, and tried the Preware installer instead of WOSQI yet?

And more importantly, did it work?
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Like I said, I (and several others) know what it's like to be new to this kind of stuff and trying to figure it out. That's why people have been trying to help. My post was just a friendly, non-authoritative reminder to vent in the right direction. I'm not a mod, just another poster.

Back to the issue at hand, have you double checked that you are dev mode, double checked that novacom is running properly, and tried the Preware installer instead of WOSQI yet?

And more importantly, did it work?
    I did the code again and yes, I can confirm it's in developer mode. And at the moment, no I have not tried Preware installer yet. I was under the impression for a while that WOSQI was the only way to get homebrew apps onto the pre.

Anyways, the main problem is that I can't get novacom installed. That Palm SDK installation just keeps rolling back and cancels installation. Novacom is a stubborn piece of software that just doesn't want to be on my machine. If I have to have novacom for both preware and WOSQI, then it won't matter which of those I use. If I could get novacom working, then I could just use wosqi.
    I did the code again and yes, I can confirm it's in developer mode. And at the moment, no I have not tried Preware installer yet. I was under the impression for a while that WOSQI was the only way to get homebrew apps onto the pre.
    Oh, yea you should try the Preware installed as other people have mentioned. It should work fine until you get the WOSQI worked out.

Now, you're still going to need novacom running for it to work...
    I was under the impression for a while that WOSQI was the only way to get homebrew apps onto the pre.

There are two ways to get homebrew software on the pre. Well, there's actually many way, but most of the others are not so great.

Preware, and WOSQI. Originally, the two had some overlap, but did largely different things.

At this point, they have both evolved to the point where there is no real reason to use both. Some people prefer WOSQI, some prefer preware, and a few use both for whatever reason.

I personally prefer Preware. Not because it is inherently better, but because doing everything on-device is more natural for me.

Now, as far as novacom, you might see if you can find a standalone package for novacom, and skip installing the whole developer kit. I know there is a linux package for novacom without needing to install the whole developer package. If there is one for windows, you may find that easier.

Beyond that, I can't be too much help with novacom because I don't use windows. However, if you've narrowed your problem down to that, there aren't any problems that people haven't already encountered and figured out, so it's just a matter of finding the right discussion.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    There are two ways to get homebrew software on the pre. Well, there's actually many way, but most of the others are not so great.

Preware, and WOSQI. Originally, the two had some overlap, but did largely different things.

At this point, they have both evolved to the point where there is no real reason to use both. Some people prefer WOSQI, some prefer preware, and a few use both for whatever reason.

I personally prefer Preware. Not because it is inherently better, but because doing everything on-device is more natural for me.

Now, as far as novacom, you might see if you can find a standalone package for novacom, and skip installing the whole developer kit. I know there is a linux package for novacom without needing to install the whole developer package. If there is one for windows, you may find that easier.

Beyond that, I can't be too much help with novacom because I don't use windows. However, if you've narrowed your problem down to that, there aren't any problems that people haven't already encountered and figured out, so it's just a matter of finding the right discussion.
    I had already narrowed my problem down to that. I've been searching forums for a novacom driver, but all I come across are ones for Windows 7/Windows Vista, and the recommendation of installing Palm SDK.

edit- Success! I have finally got novacomd up and running! I went to this forum https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hp?f=79&t=1428 and downloaded this file MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service and novacom is now up and running! Some guy extracted the novacom installer from wosqi and made it a standalone install file. Now, I'm going to try to connect my palm pre (I'm not out of the woods yet).
  11.    #31  
    Hell yeah, it works! Anyone that happens to stumble upon this forum in a google search looking for a novacom driver, just download the file I posted. It works! If the link becomes bad after a while, then just post a message on this thread claiming that you want the file, and I will create a new link for it.
    Hell yeah, it works! Anyone that happens to stumble upon this forum in a google search looking for a novacom driver, just download the file I posted. It works! If the link becomes bad after a while, then just post a message on this thread claiming that you want the file, and I will create a new link for it.
    I'm glad you finally got it working!
  13.    #33  
    Thanks for all of your guys help. I really appreciate it. Anyways, I do have another question. I just installed filecoaster (preware is downloading right now and I already had filecoaster on my pc) and it's on my pre and out of the 4 or 5 apps I've tried to download so far, only one of them has actually finished downloading. The others just hang at a fixed percentage and some give me an install error. Is it because these apps could just be crap or not updated or what?
    Thanks for all of your guys help. I really appreciate it. Anyways, I do have another question. I just installed filecoaster (preware is downloading right now and I already had filecoaster on my pc) and it's on my pre and out of the 4 or 5 apps I've tried to download so far, only one of them has actually finished downloading. The others just hang at a fixed percentage and some give me an install error. Is it because these apps could just be crap or not updated or what?
    FileCoaster hasn't really been used in a long time. I'm not sure if it's been updated for current WebOS versions. Preware has been the standard for a while now.
  15.    #35  
    I just installed preware and the tutorial on the site told me to restart my phone after I did. Now my pre wont turn on. One problem after another just keeps popping up :/
    I just installed preware and the tutorial on the site told me to restart my phone after I did. Now my pre wont turn on. One problem after another just keeps popping up :/
    What do you mean by "wont turn on"?
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    What do you mean by "wont turn on"?
    Exactly as it sounds. Completely unresponsive, no lights (even with charger plugged in). I've held the power button down several times and it does nothing. It's not the battery life because just before I restarted it, it was at 78%.
    Exactly as it sounds. Completely unresponsive, no lights (even with charger plugged in). I've held the power button down several times and it does nothing. It's not the battery life because just before I restarted it, it was at 78%.
    take out the battery, and put it back in...

also for webos quick install, unplug ur pre, go to device manager and uninstall nvacom. then restart your computer, then do the attempt re-installation, then see if it works.

(make sure it's connected to the back of your computer, my front ports didn't work either)
    Agreed. Take out the battery for a few minutes then try and power it up.
  20.    #40  
    Ok, I took out the battery, put it back in and now it's starting to turn on again (waiting for long startup process).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast