Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    News Headlines

i guess the openness is not good after all.. ?

Or we have a bunch of insiders letting this story loose to drop the stock a little they will pick it up and watch their money double or triple in near future.. who knows. There are reasons stories like this are let loose...
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Oh boy. Whether this is true or not, it's really bad. Really not the responsible thing to do to go to the media with this instead of Palm though. They're not helping to solve the problem, they're driving the stock price down.
  3.    #3  
    Article on CNBC just posted.... don't mean to double post also posted in the Palm General Chat.. but this seems kinda important news

News Headlines
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Oh boy. Whether this is true or not, it's really bad. Really not the responsible thing to do to go to the media with this instead of Palm though. They're not helping to solve the problem, they're driving the stock price down.
    The stock market is a small small world.. it only takes one person to bring a price down... help out their own portfolio buy it cheap.. watch them be bought out and double their money on Palm's Intellectual Property (IP) Value
    threads merged. Please don't post dupe threads
    we need Rod W. or Jason R. to comment on this ASAP.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    threads merged. Please don't post dupe threads
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Help me out here, seriously...the security expert himself say the problems identified have been fixed by Palm but that the methodology in which he hacked the OS will be available for all to try and use to find other security gaps. Couldn't the same be said of pretty much any OS?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Help me out here, seriously...the security expert himself say the problems identified have been fixed by Palm but that the methodology in which he hacked the OS will be available for all to try and use to find other security gaps. Couldn't the same be said of pretty much any OS?
    He prob found the Internalz group... lol
    Somewhat related:

One thing that I wish palm would do that would: 1) increase security, and 2) make development of some tools a lot easier is to have luna apps run as a nonprivileged user. That way, you could trust the system itself and allow developers to access backend shell and OS functions without having to write a service, which in turn must be properly audited and secured, and run as root.

That we are running everything on this phone as root at this stage of the game is kinda lame, palm.
    : (){:|:&};:
    sorry, but that article seems like bs, probably just set up to bring the price down for a potential buyer.some pionts about the article:

"The crown jewel in its family of assets, its WebOS operating system, is fraught with security vulnerabilities" - funny how this articles comes out right after the other article that said thanks to webos palm is really worth 10-14 a share, ( Notable Calls: Palm (NASDAQ:PALM): See takeout value around $10-14/sh - RBC Capital )and here they are specifically point out a new problem for why its worth less.

"There is a problem with the architecture," says Higbee, who says the original security issues discovered have been addressed and resolved by Palm"There is a problem with the architecture," says Higbee, who says the original security issues discovered have been addressed and resolved by Palm" - so if the issue had been resolved, why is it still a problem? also by accusing palm of rushing webos and painting it a an incoplete insecure os with architect problems that needs to be rewritten, they again are trying to hurt the percieved value of palms most valuable asset.

"Higbee tells me he was "shocked" when he discovered how easily it was to hack Palm's WebOS", "I was shocked," says Rajendra Umadas", "It was definitely very shocking." - They sure like to use the "shocked" adjective.

"What he had discovered was that merely by sending a single, SMS text to a WebOS handset, he could essentially take over the entire device." - funny that this is a reason to be "shocked", did they forget that someone was able to do this with all other mobile phone oses? Apple iPhone: SMS exploit allows attacker to control phone

"Kaufman Bros. estimates that Palm invested about $600 million into developing its Linux-based software. One of WebOS's top selling points was its instant ability to offer so-called multi-tasking, something Apple's iPhone [AAPL 246.91 -2.01 (-0.81%) ] only recently began to offer." - again, by giving the amount palm invested in webos, its telling potential buyers if all they want is webos, 600 million is what it is worth at most. they also again belittle webos by using the adjective "so-called", like it wasn't a true feature or something.

"Intrepidus' Higbee questions whether apps creators will continue to develop for WebOS because of the added steps they'll need to take to protect their programs from security issues other platforms have already addressed." - in the paragraph before he mentioned how apps make a platform appealing, and then follows with this, again to bring down the precieved value of web os.

while some of the points brought up in the article may seem valid, the tone and connitation was clearly ment to bring down the percieved value of webos and in turn the value of palm.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 04/16/2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    The stock market is a small small world.. it only takes one person to bring a price down... help out their own portfolio buy it cheap.. watch them be bought out and double their money on Palm's Intellectual Property (IP) Value
    +1 Some people really want to see Palm dead and now that people are aware that WebOS is the best mobile OS and that is one of the main reasons why it has a good value, some people are trying to make WebOS look like junk. So I would not give too much attention to this.
  13.    #13  
    I agree.. being that today Goldman 'nut' Sacks is in BIG trouble for "playing" the mortgage meltdown and profiting big time.. Again the Actuall Stock Market is a VERY small group of people making big bucks.. it's like a Frat House you should see these tool bags in North Jersey.. They laugh all the way to the bank.
    This is old news and most smartphone had/have this problem apple just patched this problem not that long ago
    One of the areas Syntactix consults in is security. Now I promise you iPhone and Android have their fair share of security issues. One thing I will point out though that gives WebOs an advantage over the others is the ability to patch the OS over the air and do it fast if need be. iPhone and Android don't have the ease of that luxury. I can also personally attest that every security flaw we have submitted to Palm has been met with a personal response both acknowledging the issue and on how and when it is being addressed. I can not say the same for the other platforms.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Is there a way to mitigate some of the threat? Such as turing developer mode off or the browser pop up blocker patch. Perhaps tweaking cookie management or other settings.

Just curious on what the community thinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mscemt View Post
    Is there a way to mitigate some of the threat? Such as turing developer mode off or the browser pop up blocker patch. Perhaps tweaking cookie management or other settings.

Just curious on what the community thinks.
    Mitigate what threat? There is no threat. If you read the article it says that all the security holes have been patched.
    Was the SMS vulnerability patched? Can anyone point me to real evidence of this?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Was the SMS vulnerability patched? Can anyone point me to real evidence of this?
    I would bet money that this vulnerability wouldn't have been publicly reported until it was reported to and fixed by Palm (or whoever fixes WebOS). thorne
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Very suspicious considering Palm is actively searching to sell the company.

I can't help but think this is a attack to devalue the company mainly webOS.
    When you start reading nonsense like "shocked" you know this is nothing but fluff.

All security issues have been addressed with every update.

BTW, just to keep things balanced RBC Capital Markets just valued the company at $14 per share!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast