1.    #1  
    Well, I want to begin by saying that I hope Palm through whatever means finds a way to succeed and keep WebOS alive. I can't imagine having to make a decision to use and other mobile OS. The multitasking, the notifications, the gestures are all so elegant and easy to use, not to mention the touchstone.

But that being said, the truth is Palm may not be around for ever or WebOS for that matter. So IF that were the case what would happen to the current Apps? For the most part I currently have all the Apps I need if not want. So I personally would hang on to my Palm Pre for as long as possible with my current Apps. But if Palm closed shop would I have access to my currently purchased Apps or even the free ones if I had to re-download them?

So, I am just trying to get other opinions on the likely hood of there being a way provided to still download apps, through the developers, or a site such as this or possible a tool created to backup the Apps currently on the phone for later installation.

No matter what happens, I personally would keep using my Pre for sometime to come as long as I could still use my Apps. What do you all think?
    Apps, apps, apps and apps.

Well first things first. The app store is.......not very good. Compare to all other app stores this one is rubbish. Someone buys and iPhone for fun and they get fun apps plus the business apps and other productive apps. Buy a Blackberry and you get all the productive apps too and the fun ones. Buy a Pre and you get.....games, games and more games, oh and some quotes by well known / not so well known people be they dead or alive.

Now what i was expecting when i got my hands on the Pre is what Palm told me i was going to get, apps that go further! Not the case is it. Life moves fast, don't miss a thing. Yes life does move fast and yes you might miss quite a bit. I can't plan a journey by car. rail or tube, i can't keep up with national news as it happens, i can't book a cinema ticket and plan a train journey around that etc etc etc.

Coming from a platform that has all the apps you needed for travel, news and sport to a platform that does not have one single app marketed towards the UK user for the above is a let down. The multitasking is top stuff but apart from the apps out of the box there are no apps that can take advantage of it.

If Palm does go developers will not want to hang around, they will of course look at the Apple OS and Android. Developers who have made the nice shiny apps for other platforms such as Blackberry, Apple and Android are not doing what Palm hoped for and they are to blame for that. Palm have handled the whole app thing very very bad. Just an example, Palm sent an email around to UK users the other day and in it where comments about how great the app store was and a link to their website. Very few of the apps on the website are there in the app store.

With the new Apple OS being released very soon dont expect developers to be developing for webOS, not that they are now as the money is on other platforms and not here i'm afraid.
    whether it stays or not my pre wont be going anywhere...even when i get another phone, which will be a while as long as she keeps a goin
    I think what the OP is asking is if Palm goes away, what would happen when you doctor your phone and it has to try to download apps from the App Catalog, or for that matter, what would happen with backups? I assume someone will need to keep the servers going...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I think what the OP is asking is if Palm goes away, what would happen when you doctor your phone and it has to try to download apps from the App Catalog, or for that matter, what would happen with backups? I assume someone will need to keep the servers going...
    Correct, that is the point I was trying to make. I was trying to spin it in a positive light, that I hope Palm does not go anywhere because I truly enjoy WebOS and hope for a future with it. But to the point, will there be any chance that a server would be kept alive, or maybe better yet a way to back our purchased apps up ourselves? I think if Palm were "go away" I would first download every app I have purchased in HOPES that someone would create a program to backup all apps on the Pre/Pixi to our computers. There are copies of WebOS versions, so a restore would be possible but then you would lose your apps without a program to backup and save them first. So just wondering if this would be possible.

And yes nsabournemouth, I agree that the App Catalog (not, store) could use better apps, but if it survives it will get more and better apps. But that being said I do have enough apps that I am fine with what I have for now. I have my music, ebooks, audio books, pod casts, and news... and more.
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 04/16/2010 at 01:12 AM.