1.    #1  
    If this is true, what the heck can Palm (and all other smartphone competitors) do?!

The Genius in Apple's Vertical Platform - steve's blog
    what's Palm to do?

Concentrate on the next device....
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    If this is true, what the heck can Palm (and all other smartphone competitors) do?!

The Genius in Apple's Vertical Platform - steve's blog
    i heard (not read) that palm is doing the same thing with webOS 2.0
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Don't even try.... it's time to end it. Apple will rule all with their superior iPhone and users will get the shaft because no one will try to innovate because the iPhone is just so good.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    if, if, if,...

who cares?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    a bunch of the comments in his blog is telling him he's wrong. 4.0 will likely be slower do to added multitasking. oh and iAds too.
    Last edited by spare; 04/15/2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    To be fair the linked article mentions increasing speed for the iPad by 50% not 100%. And while the article spends all its time praising Apple's decision to integrate vertically, it neglects the fact that other chip companies aren't exactly sitting still with their designs.

I'm not too worried about the speed of OS4 simply b/c we are currently running hardware that is 12-18 months older than the hardware in the iPhone HD so its not a valid comparison to make. When the Pre2 (if or whatever it is called) arrives, probably after the iPhone HD) then a valid comparison can be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    To be fair the linked article mentions increasing speed for the iPad by 50% not 100%. And while the article spends all its time praising Apple's decision to integrate vertically, it neglects the fact that other chip companies aren't exactly sitting still with their designs.

I'm not too worried about the speed of OS4 simply b/c we are currently running hardware that is 12-18 months older than the hardware in the iPhone HD so its not a valid comparison to make. When the Pre2 (if or whatever it is called) arrives, probably after the iPhone HD) then a valid comparison can be made.
    A valid comparison can already be made. The current version of the iPhone and Pre have the same guts, yet the performance difference is night and day. Palm has a lot more to address than just hardware.
    Kinda bothers me that Jon Rubinstein once said "I have never used an iPhone." You would think as the CEO you would want to know your competitors very well. Sorry to say but i think it made himself and the company look really bad when he said that he's never used an iPhone. Also bothers me that he said "Android is more for tech geeks." I consider myself a tech geek. Does that mean I should return my Palm pre and go get an Android phone Jon?
    I think the guy is full of crap. His hardware claims are based off of a very sketchy source. The folks at Anandtech have done a similar analysis of the A4, and found it to be very close to a run-of-the-mill Cortex A8.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    A valid comparison can already be made. The current version of the iPhone and Pre have the same guts, yet the performance difference is night and day. Palm has a lot more to address than just hardware.
    So what. This thread isn't about the current Pre or the current iPhone its about what to expect in the iPad and iPhone HD now they have Apple's own chips in them.

We don't know what's coming in the next Palm product - if there is one (ex. streamlined WebOS 2.0, fully active GPU) or really for that matter just how much quicker the iPhone OS and the new chip will be on the iPhone HD so its impossible to extrapolate a comparison of existing products to a comparison of future products.

Besides, I would hardly call a 600mhz chip scaled back to 500mhz (Pre) as being the same as having the a 600mhz chip not scaled back at all (iPhone 3GS). I'm not going to argue which current phone OS is slower - its obvious that WebOS is slightly slower than iPhone OS, as evidenced by the 600mhz OC "patch" not matching the speed of iPhone 3GS. That been said, for my own personal use, speed isn't the only thing to consider when purchasing a phone.
    Last edited by solarus; 04/15/2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    So what. This thread isn't about the current Pre or the current iPhone its about what to expect in the iPad and iPhone HD now they have Apple's own chips in them.

We don't know what's coming in the next Palm product - if there is one (ex. streamlined WebOS 2.0, fully active GPU) or really for that matter just how much quicker the iPhone OS and the new chip will be on the iPhone HD so its impossible to extrapolate a comparison of existing products to a comparison of future products.

Besides, I would hardly call a 600mhz chip scaled back to 500mhz (Pre) as being the same as having the a 600mhz chip not scaled back at all (iPhone 3GS). I'm not going to argue which current phone OS is slower - its obvious that WebOS is slightly slower than iPhone OS, as evidenced by the 600mhz OC "patch" not matching the speed of iPhone 3GS. That been said, for my own personal use, speed isn't the only thing to consider when purchasing a phone.
    My point is.. this was posted in the General webOS Chat forum so I am merely stating that if WebOS wants to stand on the same ground (as it barely does now) as the iPhone in terms of performance, major changes need to be from a software standpoint.

And the op did ask "what can palm do" .. so I'm simply replying.

And just an FYI, not even the 800Mhz patch compares to the iPhone in speed.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/15/2010 at 03:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    My point is.. this was posted in the General webOS Chat forum so I am merely stating that if WebOS wants to stand on the same ground (as it barely does now) as the iPhone in terms of performance, major changes need to be from a software standpoint.

And the op did ask "what can palm do" .. so I'm simply replying.

And just an FYI, not even the 800Mhz patch compares to the iPhone in speed.
    Its doesn't match in performance/speed I agree, the OS needs to be streamlined and improved along with utilizing the GPU all the time. Our only difference here is that I don't think you can extrapolate a comparison of WebOS 1.4 and iPhone OS 3.1.3 to WebOS 2.0 and iPhone OS 4.0.

If you have a video, link to an article, or something similar that compares the 800mhz patch to the iPhone 3GS (I assume you have something given your comment on the 800 OC not matching performance) I know several people here would like to see it (http://forums.precentral.net/general...pre-video.html).
    Last edited by solarus; 04/15/2010 at 04:26 PM.
    That article dated 4/14 makes a point that the A4 might be a dual core processor when it has already been established that it is just a single core one. I'm not sure if he even knows what he is talking about.
    Android will continue to get faster too. As will other popular OS's. Nothing too.. amazing here.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    It can go 2 ways. First, at double the speed, the gain is marginally better in certain circumstances. Say an app opens in 1 second. Now it opens in half a second. Ohhh, stop the presses.

The other way is, at double the speed, the app will open before you even think of opening it. This is more realistic since it's Apple's fashion to tell it's users what they can and cannot do with their devices.