Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I'm actually of the opinion that HTC would scrap webOS if they buy Palm, but here would be an announcement to the contrary. That is, if the HTC guy is telling the truth.
    Link Here
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    If its true that HTC is looking to buy, then the fact that they want their own OS is positive news for webOS. My fear initially was that HTC would buy Palm for their patent portfolio as protection against Apple and simply discard webOS development. However, if they want to try their hand at a mobile OS platform, how perfect would it be to use an excellent OS that they need to only optimize. Then we would not see the death of webOS.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    HTC would only consider keeping WebOS alive as a market differentiator to sell more phones. I just dont see the current marketshare supporting this for them. Android is free as Im sure WinMo is to them as well.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Kind of deceiving chart. November is when the Droids went on sale to tons of commercials on nation's largest network. That started the whole Android craze, and I'm sure people jumped to VZW from Sprint to get in on some of that goodness. Palm is the redheaded stepchild on VZW's network. Hardly anyone knows about this little gem. The kids down the block from me who run a local store certainly had absolutely no idea. I asked about the Pre, they showed me the Droid instead. If not for the corporate store I'd probably buy a dumb phone because I sure as hell wasn't buying a droid. It looks like a linux distro from early 2000s. WebOS is what a modern phone OS should look like. Droid is unfinished and iphone is a screen full of icons. Thanks but no thanks.

HTC would be smart to buy Palm, get its patents and come out with their version of Android (if it's based on linux then it's completely legal, no?) running with WebOS front end. Give it access to Android app library and call it a day. Either that, or modify WebOS to be compatible with Android's apps (linux is linux).

Another option is for someone that wants to get into the market, preferably a manufacturer like foxconn etc. Use Google's android with WebOS ui like HTC is running Sense ui on Android. Heck, even HTC could do that but not if they want their own OS.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Seems to me HTC and Palm may have their own "synergy" if they were to join forces.

Palm would handle all development of webOS and HTC would handle all hardware aspects.

It's just a matter of working out the details but I'm going "all in" that HTC and Palm will work out some type of agreement.
    My only concern with HTC or another phone carrier is the fact that they would more than likely no longer give us root from the factory like all the other phones. I believe Palm did it to try and win over folks that didnt like the hassle when swapping, hoops to unroot a phone, possible bricking, etc. they had to do something different and a dying company needed more than a unfinished OS to convince. although if the phone is based simliar to the Pre then it might remain....but dont think it will.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    If not for the corporate store I'd probably buy a dumb phone because I sure as hell wasn't buying a droid. It looks like a linux distro from early 2000s. WebOS is what a modern phone OS should look like. Droid is unfinished and iphone is a screen full of icons. Thanks but no thanks.
    I really like that analogy.. Sums up my feelings on Android as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    HTC would be smart to buy Palm, get its patents and come out with their version of Android (if it's based on linux then it's completely legal, no?) running with WebOS front end. Give it access to Android app library and call it a day. Either that, or modify WebOS to be compatible with Android's apps (linux is linux).
    Sadly, WebOS compatibility with Android would be a near impossibility. The Dalvik API's are very centric with its UI as is WebOS.
    Samsung, Motorola, HTC, Dell...

The smartphone market is quickly getting flooded with Android devices.

In the short term Google's Open Source OS seems like a gift from the god's to companies like Motorola, who make great hardware but have little experience in the software department.

In the long term these companies will find themselves struggling to differentiate themselves and their devices as they compete for consumer mind share. If a company develops it's own software it can produce a flagship device that, when competitive, can maintain it's appeal for 9-12 months at a time. In the rapidly approaching world of Android the title of "flagship" will be traded every few months as a new device launches with more features and better specs than the one before.

HTC is smart to make the creation of it's own proprietary software a priority. Android has helped establish it as a top contender, now for it to keep that spot it will need to innovate and stay ahead of the changing market.

Palm would provide HTC with an exclusive OS, one that is fully developed and has proven both innovative and compelling. It is a golden opportunity as it allows HTC to maintain market distinction while saving it the gamble of investing hundreds of millions of dollars into the development of an OS , not HTC's strong suit, that may ultimately fail.