Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Is anyone else having strange problems with their camera after the 1.4.1.1 update? My camera app is now suuuuuper slow to open, and often show only controls and the thumbnail of the last picture taken. I.e., it will not display the actual viewfinder. If I click on the capture button or the space bar, the controls disappear... and after about 30 agonizing seconds I finally get an error message on the screen that says "Camera could not take picture at this time" or something like that.

Restarting the app sometimes fixes, but not consistently. I'm tempted to Doctor my phone, but am hesitant to go through all the trouble if a) this is a known existing issue, and b) if there is any easier way to fix it.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Mine does the exact same thing. After 1.4 the camera launched in 1/10th the time it used to. Now after 1.4.1.1 it periodically freezes and gives the error like you mentioned. It is always very slow to launch and takes an eternity to take a picture after one has already been taken.
    +1
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    At first I had wondered if this had something to do with a patch on my Pre that didn't update correctly. ...but now it's even happening on my roommate's un-patched Pre. In fact, everyone I know who has a Pre right now is running into this problem. I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of it in a post on this site yet.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    btw, I discovered last night that this issue also extends to the video camera function (not too surprising, but all that much more frustrating).
    My camera has been broken since 1.3, I think, in December. I get the same error you mentioned. I just doctored my phone in an attempt to fix a different problem. It did fix that problem, but the camera is still broken. I think it's a hardware problem. I'm going to take it to my local Sprint repair center and see what they say. This is an original launch day pre, from June 7, 2009.
    I have the error on 1.4, but it appears after a while. I have to restart the Pre to have it working. It sucks

I hope it gets fixed in 1.5
    I thought that the Camera App got impoved in 1.4.x over 1.4. I'm waiting for Verizon for update, please come on. I will take slightly improved or should I say fewer bugs or memory leaks in camera app would be nice.