1.    #1  
    So I try to show how I can play games, and talk on my phone at the same time to my iPhone toting friend and he can't, he then pulls out his iPhone and shows me he can do the same thing. Then I tell him I can view the web while listening to Pandora and he can do the same thing. These are the most used features I do when using my phone, and if the iPhone can do them too, without true multitasking, then what is the point of multitasking. I hate everything Apple since back when I was a kid because of their closed nature, but now I looked dumb in front of a buddy trying to show him what I can do with my Pre and he can't do on his iPhone and he showed me I have no real advantage. Can somebody tell me what advantages the Pre really has in terms of multitasking vs. The iPhone? I feel bad knocking a prduct when it really is very good.
    The iphone can only multitask core apps, playing a game then answering the phone isn't multitasking ask him to try and write a text or do just about anything else while on AIM
    heres something I just did today that the iphone can't touch. Its our gestures in combination with our notification area and the flexibility of cards that makes ours so much better.

run radiotime. Then sprint nav. Rt will run with a notification icon. Tap it. Now you get an icon that you can use to control the playback, without having to move away from your nav screen. Now make a call. Go back to card view and bring nav back up. Now youl have a nice compact line in the notification area showing who you are on the phone with and also that rt is still up. You can pause rt without leaving thenav screen. So its easy to talk and control media without missing a critical turn. Etc etc.

itoy can't touch this. Their ui is still far behind ours. Ours is elegant. Theirs is a bolted on afterthought of a kludge.
  4.    #4  
    really? Who uses AIM? At least that's what he'll say. My point is, I can't think of a core functionality that WebOS can do which directly makes the iPhone look substandard. With that said, why wouldn't I go to the iPhone in the future. I love the Pre, but it still needs some more usable apps to be in the same convo as the iPhone.
  5.    #5  
    @knobby OK, now that's more like it!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    From my perspective, what needs to happen is that WebOS functionality needs to be merged with Android if anything is going to compete with the Iphone. Currently, multitasking in Android is on the weak side, but, in terms of development, Android offers a heck of a lot more than WebOS for making simple applications that look and perform elegantly. Give me an Android phone with WebOS multitasking with Android applications and I'll call it a day.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Doc - I was thinking exactly the same. Right now WEebOS lacks application development big time because developers stay away from WebOS and its a catch22 situation at the moment. something needs to break it. One of the ideas is to merge Android and WebOS. Android platform has a great deal of app development going on but the OS itself is lacking a bit. What would be good is to merge WebOS card system to Android platform. This combination will provide greatest competition to iPhone juggernaut. But to answer your question now, iPhone's multitasking at the current stage is lacking to that of WebOS. I can actually provide few examples of this. one example is IM. If I quite out of an application while I'm chatting with someone, the application freezes and if a message comes in I get an obnoxious right in your face Popup on the screen which I can reply to or dismiss. Now developers of chat applications for iphone managed to get around this by using push notification and their own servers as gateways. So to make this problem go away now on iphone you as a user signs on to developer's server which then connects you to the messaging service of your choice. it works ok but sometimes causes big headaches when there is a problem between gateway server and IM service. Another example is an application that i use to store my passwords. Because of limitations of both webos and apple systems these applications are not allowed to interact with built in mobile safari so users have to come up with rather annoying workarounds. But to get back on the point, the way its used on webos is much more pleasant than the way its used on iphone platform. I use lastpass application to keep track of my passwords and if i have to lookup an account while I'm not at my desk, I open the app on webOS and it runs in its card then i switch my card to the browser, go to the site, switch to lastpass get login info and then paste it into the browser. on Iphone, when I switch away from lastpass application and switch to the browser, the application because of the security settings that I use logs out and when i switch back to it I have to enter my password which is not ideal situation.

These are just 2 apps that I have experience with. Apple is going in the right direction with its "multitasking" and eventually it will get there and claim it yet again as its own unicorn. WebOS has its own more elegant way of doing things and hopefully Palm will have enough to stay the course. It will be interesting to see whats going to happen between apple, Google, palm and Microsoft. Consumers will end up winning because of the innovation that goes into these products and I think market will dictate what users want and do with their smart phones and not one single company like Apple, Google, palm, Microsoft, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Then I tell him I can view the web while listening to Pandora and he can do the same thing.
    Sounds like he has a jailbroken iPhone, because until the 4.0 update hits, that's not possible through official means.
  9.    #9  
    nope. It's stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    nope. It's stock.
    I guess you might be on Pandora's webpage and so technically you are right...
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    From my perspective, what needs to happen is that WebOS functionality needs to be merged with Android if anything is going to compete with the Iphone. Currently, multitasking in Android is on the weak side, but, in terms of development, Android offers a heck of a lot more than WebOS for making simple applications that look and perform elegantly. Give me an Android phone with WebOS multitasking with Android applications and I'll call it a day.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Now you get an icon that you can use to control the playback, without having to move away from your nav screen