1.    #1  
    Imagine if we had 4 webOS phones with similar specs? A candybar, landscape flip, vertical slider, and touchscreen. Think about the Ad campaign.

"Life moves fast, whatever your style, webOS helps you keep up."

Turn Palm into a phone OS company. Obviously add input for some aspects. Touchstone was genius, the keyboard on the Pixi is genius, but for the processor and guts of the phone let HTC handle it.

I think this kind of differentiation is inevitable. It happened with desktop computer, then laptops, netbooks, now even iPads and such. Smartphone companies need to start selling operating systems, and let the builders piece it together at a screaming price. Maybe even get the carriers out of the mix, and sell unlocked phones for what they actually cost.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    "WebOS - While everyone else plays Catch-Up, We're making sure you don't have to"
    Not sure of exactly what you're saying? Palm already subs out the actual making of the devices as does everyone else. Now, if you're saying Palm should be like Google and MS.; just license the OS to whatever builder...than OK, but... Now you're talking the diff between comp like Palm / Apple and Google MS. When you just license the OS you lose control over the hardware and that can have a big impact that's not always good. As a former WinMo user, I can tell you I never had the type of reliability I have now with my Pre! ...and that's coming frome using 4 different WinMo devices compared to one launch-day, not very good build quality and a 1.x OS Pre! I can't even imagen what WinMo would be like on the Pre hardware...I'm sure I still wouldn't be using it today.
    wow. an HTC/Palm thread. Can't believe no one has posted one of these yet
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    wow. an HTC/Palm thread. Can't believe no one has posted one of these yet
    No comment on the possibility of 4 webOS devices? All you fan boys keeps saying the way to salve palm is to focus on one phone. This sounds dumb to me.

And seriously show me another thread in the "General webOS" section that discusses PALM moving to a pure software company?
    Do you know how to read? Your post has nothing to do with my post whatsoever, and if you'd read any of my posts on here, you'd see I'm far from a fanb0y. And maybe you'd also care to notice there are quite a few HTC/Palm threads since the endgadget article was posted. Don't think we needed another.
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    No comment on the possibility of 4 webOS devices? All you fan boys keeps saying the way to salve palm is to focus on one phone. This sounds dumb to me.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Do you know how to read? Your post has nothing to do with my post whatsoever, and if you'd read any of my posts on here, you'd see I'm far from a fanb0y. And maybe you'd also care to notice there are quite a few HTC/Palm threads since the endgadget article was posted. Don't think we needed another.
    I am posting this in the webOS section of the forum. As far as I can tell there are no other post in this section discussing how PALM should move to a software company promoting webOS allowing us to get webOS on many devices like Android seems to be doing.

I'm not particularly interested in people talking about having dual snapdragon processors on their next generation Pre like the ridiculous post in the "General Pre" section. I would like to see more options in general, and that would required PALM moving away from hardware design which did in fact necessitate a new post in a section devoted to the OS.