1.    #1  
    Ok, so this is just an idea I came up with, and really I am looking for someone to tell me why it wouldn't be a good idea.

A big issue with the Pre is limited number of apps. Its constantly getting slagged in reviews for limited number of apps.

Why not enable android apps to run on the Pre.

Web OS runs on linux. Android runs on linux. Android is partially open source (i think) and has many apps.

How difficult technically would it be to get the Android Market and apps to work natively on the Pre? So that they just run as cards in WebOs (even if there is some emulation going on behind the scenes like with Wine)

What are the legal hurdles.

Suddenly an ad for the Palm Pre that says "runs Android Market" 20,000 apps would be favorable for Palm at this moment.

So would this be possible, even as a homebrew effort?

I am by no means a programmer so someone let me know I am interested.

Thanks.
    And why would you want to do this against a competitor? lol
    Android wont even allow this.
    The best bet is to convince companies to port over the apps to Palm Pre. Being nearly the same in development, it can be done.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I think what we need here is some more cowbell and five thousand more Brighthouse quote apps....problem solved.
    Actually, what I think we need here is to integrate native support for the Classic Palm OS apps for Free, that should add several thousand more useful good apps.

Next, We need to get a J2ME VM support so we can play the thousands of midlets available.

Third, we add a new standard of Programming in addition to C/C++, Javascript, HTML5, CSS. And that is another language that web developers are very familiar with: PHP.

Fourth, Add support not just for Flash, but for a standalone Flash player and/or Silverlight player, adding more options as far as apps and games and developers go.

A final point for palm is that they need to open up API support for the Mic and the Camera and add official support for more c++ libraries.

What can we do? Well, develop apps and games, create patches and go on with getting linux apps working on WebOS.

Put this all together and almost instantly we can have far more apps than the iPhone and Droid put together would have.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    Actually, what I think we need here is to integrate native support for the Classic Palm OS apps for Free, that should add several thousand more useful good apps.

Next, We need to get a J2ME VM support so we can play the thousands of midlets available.

Third, we add a new standard of Programming in addition to C/C++, Javascript, HTML5, CSS. And that is another language that web developers are very familiar with: PHP.

Fourth, Add support not just for Flash, but for a standalone Flash player and/or Silverlight player, adding more options as far as apps and games and developers go.

A final point for palm is that they need to open up API support for the Mic and the Camera and add official support for more c++ libraries.

What can we do? Well, develop apps and games, create patches and go on with getting linux apps working on WebOS.

Put this all together and almost instantly we can have far more apps than the iPhone and Droid put together would have.
    I really like some of these ideas.

What I really thought Palm should have done with Classic is have each Classic app open up like a normal WebOS app in its own card...not in some stupid app that confuses people.

So, more like WINE for Linux...have the apps embedded natively in WebOS, even have icons for them in the main WebOS page.

Hell, even offer them in the App Catalog. It would be work, but would add a lot more apps. As another poster pointed out, we could add 5000 cowbell apps...no one really looks at what the apps do...they just look at the number.

Secondly, the API has been opened up for Mic and recording support, thankfully. It was added recently after the Developer meeting thingy this weekend.

I also like your idea of porting Linux apps...this definitely needs to happen too.

All of this has to be easy for the end user though, no hacking, developer mode or opening other apps to emulate....it has to be available in the app store, they have to be able to click it once and its on their phone, ready to use, no BS.