1.    #1  
    I was thinking that for WebOS to remain the multitasking master it should step up it's game.

I would like to see Palm implement a sort of minimize function where you can take a card from card view and send it to a a different row of cards that are much smaller and out of the way. This would be a good way to keep certain cards open, but not have them interfere with the multitasking the user is currently doing. I would keep facebook, camera and phone minimized all the time.

A good way to minimize apps would be to throw them down. Just like thowing them up and closing them only down.

thought? What apps would you keep minimized? What other huge changes would you like to see?
    Last edited by kill_Dano; 04/09/2010 at 09:40 AM.
    What other huge changes would you like to see?
    Drag & drop text between cards.
    Last edited by jjeffcoat; 04/09/2010 at 09:41 AM.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Sorry, but your way of organizing cards would be too complex IMO, as you have to maintain your open, minimized and closed cards.
    Applications should simply open faster ( -> 800Mhz patch ), so you don't have to keep cards open.

WebOS should be more stable, as it crashes quite often on longer usage/complex tasks like gaming.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by damnregister View Post
    Sorry, but your way of organizing cards would be too complex IMO, as you have to maintain your open, minimized and closed cards.
    Applications should simply open faster ( -> 800Mhz patch ), so you don't have to keep cards open.
    +1
    One way to implement similar functionality of "hiding" the cards you don't want now, is a send to the end of the stack or something similar.

Apps start fast enough that I usually don't leave a ton open. The apps can be built with a background piece to wake up and check for updates, then notify you if something needs your attention. If an app is designed for WebOS, it doesn't really need to always be open.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  6.    #6  
    I don't really see this as being for speed. Sometimes I just want to get an app out of the way of what I'm doing, but I don't want to close it. For example a website that I plan on refreshing in a little while (like this thread) or an email I wanna take a break from writting. In the mean Time I'll be listening to slacker and chatting on IM and I won't want email and the browser to get in my way while I'm switching between apps.
    Check out clearcard it's $.99 and will sort of simulate hiding apps in the background
  8.    #8  
    Also this would work well in conjunction with Palm implementing my other most wanted feature: an active home screen. Maybe we could do a down gesture that could do a quick minimize all and allow us to interact with or clearly view the active home screen.
    another thing they could do is implement the swipe down a card to the notification bar (like some programs have already like the quick search) then when you want that card again you can click it on the notification bar and it will pop up
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    another thing they could do is implement the swipe down a card to the notification bar (like some programs have already like the quick search) then when you want that card again you can click it on the notification bar and it will pop up
    Boy, that sounds an awful lot like a Windows Task Bar kinda thing. Isn't that sacraligious in here? Actually, I like the idea!
    I am not a fan of most of these ideas, I have to say. (Sorry). The one thing that bugs me most about the cards though is how when I tap on a notification for an app I already have open, it moves to the end of the stack.

I'd rather it would stay in place, because then it'd make much more sense to rearrange the cards in a sensible order for how I work. As it is now, there's no point in rearranging them.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdotts View Post
    Boy, that sounds an awful lot like a Windows Task Bar kinda thing. Isn't that sacraligious in here? Actually, I like the idea!
    I'd bet MS didn't invent the concept...

To the OP, if you want to keep two cards you will move back and forth between together, you do know that in cardview you can tap and hold on a card and drag it to another position in the line, correct?
    maybe swiping down could minimize to it's corresponding widget? Widgets would be awesome
    just tile the cards when minimized to get six. And possibly implement a way to lock a card
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I'd bet MS didn't invent the concept...

To the OP, if you want to keep two cards you will move back and forth between together, you do know that in cardview you can tap and hold on a card and drag it to another position in the line, correct?
    Yes I know that, but I'd rather be able to minimize the cards than keep them all in one straight line. Sometimes If I put my phone down for a while I'll forget what I was doing and it's hard to remember when I have a screen full of open cards. Now, had I been able to minimize some of them, I'd only see the last few I was using and also see the smaller ones I have minimized (like when you go into zoomed out card view would be a good place to see the minimized cards)
    with you there. I also hate how when I cut and paste the app I"m in goes to card view, and I have to tap it to get it back. I can see that for copying as one is most likely to be pasting into a different app, but pasting you're already at the app you're going to.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I am not a fan of most of these ideas, I have to say. (Sorry). The one thing that bugs me most about the cards though is how when I tap on a notification for an app I already have open, it moves to the end of the stack.

I'd rather it would stay in place, because then it'd make much more sense to rearrange the cards in a sensible order for how I work. As it is now, there's no point in rearranging them.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    with you there. I also hate how when I cut and paste the app I"m in goes to card view, and I have to tap it to get it back. I can see that for copying as one is most likely to be pasting into a different app, but pasting you're already at the app you're going to.
    I have never had that happen.
    Does it on my pixi all the time. gestur + c or v keeps doing it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    The cards are the single thing that I like most about webOS. I would like a way of quiting applications but not lose the card. I think a swipe down gesture would be perfect for this. Just dull the image of the sleepibg card.

This way you can always have your most commonly used apps in the same order -- without keeping everything open all the time in webOS. In spite of all the talk about how good webOs mutitasking is it really doesn't allow you to keep a bunch of apps open at the same time without undesirable side effects.

Being able to put cards asleep with a down gesture would be the perfect solution to this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Does it on my pixi all the time. gestur + c or v keeps doing it.
    I think I know what you are doing. I tried it on my wife's Pixi, and if I use the center part of the gesture area, it pops the application up into a card, but as long as I use the right side (didn't try the left, but I imagine it's the same) of the gesture area, away from the white bar, it works as expected. Try using different points on the gesture area and see if it works for you.