1.    #1  
    Talk about calling something old new.

Remember on our Treos when we held the home button down and showed us different apps that were "running in the background"??

Big deal Apple. Call it whatever you want. Your reality distortion field is not working on this user... WebOS FTW!
    Yeah, I said this a couple times in the longer post on the subject, but all this is is the same sort of multithreading that happened in Garnet.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    As much as we love Palm.... who cares? If a company has the ability to structure and manage multitasking in a very smart way like webOS and new 4.0 OS from iPhone... then does it matter who started it first? As long as its done in an intelligent way, I'm all for it. If i'ts done ridiculously like blackberry's storm... then we should be trashing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBot View Post
    As much as we love Palm.... who cares? If a company has the ability to structure and manage multitasking in a very smart way like webOS and new 4.0 OS from iPhone... then does it matter who started it first? As long as its done in an intelligent way, I'm all for it. If i'ts done ridiculously like blackberry's storm... then we should be trashing them.
    It only matters when you're saying something is new and better, when in fact it's old and limited.
    From the keynote when introducing the multi-tasking feature...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
    Now we weren't the first to this party, but we're gonna be the best. Just like cut and paste.
    I'm not fanning the flames here (or at least not intentionally). I hate the culture of Apple as much as the next guy, but that does not sound like he claimed it was new. It seems like he thinks his product is best. A CEO who thinks his product is best, who knew?
    Quote Originally Posted by RLovelett View Post
    From the keynote when introducing the multi-tasking feature...

I'm not fanning the flames here (or at least not intentionally). I hate the culture of Apple as much as the next guy, but that does not sound like he claimed it was new. It seems like he thinks his product is best. A CEO who thinks his product is best, who knew?
    Well that's a given, of course. Look at Colligan's remarks about the iPhone and the Pre's price for that.

The big thing is that it's completely cyclical. I mean, I remember back when comparing my Treo 600 to Windows Mobile, I'd say the same thing that Steve Jobs said, that a task manager would be completely unnecessary, that I had all the multitasking I needed with that model, etc. As time went on, it became more and more evident how limited that was, and I did end up switching to WM for a short while before my Pre.

It's just funny how many users such as myself who had that years ago were clamoring for more, how we wanted true multitasking, and now Apple's returning to the same method and many are saying it's good enough.

I personally think it's too limited, especially after using webOS. I suspect for the majority of the iPhone users, it'll be good enough for a while.
    I agree with you jhoff. Everything old will become new again.

One of my co-workers and I were discussing it (he owns a Droid and I had a launch day Pre and now own a Pre+) and basically our feeling is that the "average" consumer out there is going to look at this and say good enough and move on. The iPhone faithful who have always claimed multi-tasking was superfluous will now shout how this is the killer iPhone feature. Branding is something Apple is good at and I doubt many would intelligently counter argue that point. Some will want more, and for those webOS will offer a bill of goods that is greater than the 6 services offered by the iPhone OS 4 psuedo-multitasking.

My opinion of why the webOS model is superior is that it gives the user control of "task management" in an intuitive and non-task management way. i.e. You are managing the OS tasks without realizing it. And still allows the developer to use all services he/she wants to achieve the task of their application.

I also think this quote from the Q&A is very telling as to the type of multi-tasking they are selling in iPhone OS 4 (emphasis mine):

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Forstall and Steve Jobs
    Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post

Remember on our Treos when we held the home button down and showed us different apps that were "running in the background"??
    Err, no. Holding down the Home Button just showed you a list of the previous 8 apps you had run, they were not running in the background
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Err, no. Holding down the Home Button just showed you a list of the previous 8 apps you had run, they were not running in the background
    These apps aren't running in the background either. They make specific calls to system services to allow a small portion of their functions to work in the background. Think PocketTunes, for example.