1.    #1  
    Regardless of what they announce i will be sticking with my Pre pure and simply because i like what Palm is doing with webOS.

Sure, the bucketloads of iphone apps would be nice as long as they are actually useful but i like having a phone that re-invents itself every six weeks or so.

And my iphone toting mates do have issues with their phones. They just seem a bit reluctant to admit that the iphone isn't quite perfect after all.

Warranted, each OS has its merits but it's webOS for me.

I wonder what webOS 1.5 will bring to the table when it lands? Support for PDK so the porting of useful apps can begin in earnest.....
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I so sick of hearing about the iphone . I thought this was pre forums but all you hear is iphone this iphone that . Now were getting updates on the iphones os.not trying to be rude man but I now just as much about the iphone than I do my pre... if you dislike the iphone that much why keep talkin about the IPHONE
    Quote Originally Posted by neno23231 View Post
    I so sick of hearing about the iphone . I thought this was pre forums but all you hear is iphone this iphone that . Now were getting updates on the iphones os.not trying to be rude man but I now just as much about the iphone than I do my pre... if you dislike the iphone that much why keep talkin about the IPHONE
    I'm sorta with you on this, but since I don't visit other forums, it's good to see details here. Why? Know your enemy. When people want me to tell them what WebOS offers over iphone, I at least then know how their stuff works (I've never touched one, personally), and can speak intelligently about what we have that they don't.

I do agree that speculation posts about other platforms are kinda useless to us here.
    I love how invested some of you have gotten in brand wars.

Who cares?

And especially who cares if someone else is using an iphone? As far as I'm concerned, people who don't own a Pre are missing out, but it's definitely not my problem.
    iphone is something i have not got!
    so to this announcement,i care not a jot!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Although the vast majority of the people here don't have iPhones this is an OS update that affects iPod touch, iPad and iPhone so I can see how this could be of use to some here... no flaming please...
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    It should be more or less put in the cross-platform chat.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    New iPhone OS supports multitasking and it has a very nice way of using it. Not to mention the other new features.

4.0 is really going to be a powerhouse.
    Multitasking comes to iPhone OS 4.0 -- but not to the iPhone 3G -- Engadget

I hope the Pre does something exiting in the near future. They should of released flash today I believe, but oh well.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBot View Post
    New iPhone OS supports multitasking and it has a very nice way of using it. Not to mention the other new features.

4.0 is really going to be a powerhouse.
    Multitasking comes to iPhone OS 4.0 -- but not to the iPhone 3G -- Engadget

I hope the Pre does something exiting in the near future. They should of released flash today I believe, but oh well.
    Not a flame here just my opinion but...if by "very nice way of using it it" you mean clunky Android-esque way that leaves little ability for the user to control which apps are running and which aren't then yes it is "very nice"

In all seriousness though, it is harder to argue "my way of doing X is better than your way of doing X" than simply saying "I have X you don't", so any kind of multi-tasking from the iPhone will force Palm to step up their game somewhat.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Not a flame here just my opinion but...if by "very nice way of using it it" you mean clunky Android-esque way that leaves little ability for the user to control which apps are running and which aren't then yes it is "very nice"
    The docking system on the bottom of the screen and ability to scroll through opened apps is a great system actually.. all the while still browsing the web with the window on top. It is great.

Also the ability to drag icons on top of each other to create folders and such is also wonderful. Other things have been added to the OS but don't feel like discussing now.

As long as battery life is somewhat addressed and I'm able to stay logged in to messenger, recieve notifications, browse emails, the web, and possibly google maps... all at the same time, then I and others will be very happy.

In all seriousness though, it is harder to argue "my way of doing X is better than your way of doing X" than simply saying "I have X you don't", so any kind of multi-tasking from the iPhone will force Palm to step up their game somewhat.
    I agree. I just hope Palm does something exiting in the very near future because the way it seems, Apple has the ability to implement any feature anyone wants, whenever they want, all with an OS update. Not to mention they have the resources for it.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    iphone 4.0 doesn't really do multitasking.

Here is one example where it lets down:

On WebOS, if I want to have my memo app always open, I leave the card up. I can go through many apps closing and opening cards, but my memo app always stays open easy to access.

On iPhone 4.0, you open the memo app.. and then you press the home button to close it. Now if you go through maybe 5 or so other apps, the memo app will no longer be on the task bar switcher since there was no way in enforcing the app stays accessible. it seems iPhone decides the most recently used apps to stay in the task switcher rather than the apps you want always available. It puts the iphone in the drivers seat rather than the user..

The docking system on the bottom of the screen and ability to scroll through opened apps is a great system actually.. all the while still browsing the web with the window on top. It is great.

As long as battery life is somewhat addressed and I'm able to stay logged in to messenger, recieve notifications, browse emails, the web, and possibly google maps... all at the same time, then I and others will be very happy.

I agree. I just hope Palm does something exiting in the very near future because the way it seems, Apple has the ability to implement any feature anyone wants, whenever they want, all with an OS update. Not to mention they have the resources for it.
    Rishi O.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post

On WebOS, if I want to have my memo app always open, I leave the card up. I can go through many apps closing and opening cards, but my memo app always stays open easy to access.

On iPhone 4.0, you open the memo app.. and then you press the home button to close it. Now if you go through maybe 5 or so other apps, the memo app will no longer be on the task bar switcher since there was no way in enforcing the app stays accessible. it seems iPhone decides the most recently used apps to stay in the task switcher rather than the apps you want always available. It puts the iphone in the drivers seat rather than the user..

I'm not sure if the Memo apps closes as you say. Unless I'm misunderstanding you. Also the ability to scroll through opened apps is there as a feature in the bottom dock. It's basically like the cards on webOS except they're icons.

I believe you mean you cant actually organize your opened apps in the order you want? If thats the case, that doesn't really bother me at all. But yes webOS does have the tiny advantage there if you find that useful. Personally, I never had to organize my opened apps.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Lets not forgot that your window can be opened even while your browsing through your opened apps on the bottom. You can say thats the advantage Apple has over Palms managing of multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post

Are you sure thats the way its done? If the iPhone chooses when to close the inactive applications in the background. How is it skype works as demoed?

If you leave skype open and never get a call, by your defination the iPhone will close that app correct? That wasn't the precieved was it was being demoed...

Im under the impression that the apps have a limited ability on what information to send to the OS. And in that taskbar, you will have all the apps open and your scroll left and right to view more apps.

But that is also confusing and this supports you is that when asked, there is no way to "close" a running app. Steve Jobs said that if there is a task manager you fail at multi taskin.

Soo ehh confusing.
    Please, read up on what the iPhone's multitasking really is. I summed it up here:

I think there's seriously a lot of confusion in this thread, myself included.

Whether you believe this is the end of things for Palm, or whether you believe this isn't good enough, it'd be helpful if we all have the facts straight.
    • Not all applications will use background threading. Most will remember the state that they were in when you left the app, and just return to that saved state when you reopen it.
    • Some applications can utilize background services for seven different functions. Paraphrased from Engadget: background audio, VOIP, location services, push notifications, local notifications, task completion, and fast app switching.
    • Full applications can not and will not be running in the background, just small pieces of them can.
    • If you want to do anything in the background (such as IM) that Apple hasn't included, you're beat.

Apple is correct, with this style of multitasking (which I think is more aptly called multithreading), you shouldn't ever need a task manager. When you go back into the VOIP app and stop the call, it should unhook from the VOIP service. When you turn off the music, you'll no longer be using that hook.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

Also the ability to drag icons on top of each other to create folders and such is also wonderful. Other things have been added to the OS but don't feel like discussing now.

Total preference on the UI of multi-tasking on my part - I just prefer WebOS way way better than the iPhone's M-T UI. I'm not convinced about the dock and having the window still open - if I'm scrolling over to open another app in the M-T dock, I'm not exactly going to be reading or typing anything in the open window above. Its cool visually but pretty much useless practically.

Yeah it would be nice to have "folders" on Pre. On a side note regarding folders - Apple seem to be paying attention to the jailbreaking community and some of their tools on that one - its basically a combination of Categories and Stacks, available on jail broken iPhone since v1.
    There's not much in this 4.0 update that WebOS can't already do. They're playing catch up to the other mobile OS's by now, losing their first launch advantage. Nothing completely new or totally innovative.
    I see this as a great oppertunity for Palm. If they can come up with a new device in summer with a couple of OS updates, they can blow the iPhone out of the water. Now only the average consumer has to find out...
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]