1.    #1  
    I was holding my pre in my left and drinking a coke(can) with my right. I thought I'd try to navigate using the bottom round edge of the can... and IT WORKED! I was able to drag icons around, scroll, doubletap to zoom, everything!

I thought it's maybe because my hand is holding the can, so I placed it near the edge of a table and tried carefully again... And it worked!

this doesn't work with the top part of the can, only the bottom.

capacitive is supposed to register HEAT, right? Not an Ice Cold Coke can!

lemme know if this works for you. And if anyone could possibly make sense of it.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    If I'm not mistaken capacitive works with electric current and a coke can is pretty conductive.

- Phil -
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    If I'm not mistaken capacitive works with electric current and a coke can is pretty conductive.

- Phil -
    makes sense, but even when I wasn't touching the can?
    A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide (ITO).[2][3] As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the body's electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location can be passed to a computer running a software application which will calculate how the user's touch relates to the computer software. - Wiki

no heat necessary
  5.    #5  
    good ol wiki!

thanks, pretty much sums up my experiment
    The screen works off of static not heat, I believe.

Check out this link
    Touchscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide (ITO).[2][3] As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the body's electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location can be passed to a computer running a software application which will calculate how the user's touch relates to the computer software. - Wiki

no heat necessary
    Great answer!! If U can, I would like to ask U about the "contacts" app on the PRE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post

no heat necessary
    Great answer!! If U can, I would like to ask U about the "contacts" app on the PRE.
    Sausages also work.
    Any conductive material/surface will allow you to interact with a capacitive touchscreen. you can buy gloves with conductive fingertips ect. Humidity on the can would also have an effect - water contains impurities which conduct (which btw is the only reason water+electronics = bad)
    I have at times managed to get even my pen to work, albeit with erratic results.
    Cool! (Seriously)
    Needs a conductive object of greater than about 8mm (0.3") in diameter.

EDIT: Based on my high tech experiments with easter-egg foil covered pencils and rods.
    Last edited by johncc; 04/11/2010 at 05:24 AM.
    backside of my dinner fork works
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Most metals will work. Most bodies of liquids will work. 99.9% of organic material will work. A lot of things work given what John said, 8mm [perceived] diameter. Some objects, depending on material properties and shape, will work with a smaller diameter (i really don't want to get into the why since it's such a small diameter anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Needs a conductive object of greater than about 8mm (0.3") in diameter.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3