Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    The FAQ section at Palm's Web site states that the PDK will be coming out of beta in the middle of the year. What's the general thought...
    1. Do you think that this will this result in a big dump in apps being ported over to WebOS? Or will iPhone and Android developers feel it's just not worth the trouble (even if it is easy).
    2. If it does happen, when will the "Mother-load" start coming into the App Catalog?

My feeling is that, in addition to having super hardware and a great OS, having a robust App Catalog would help validate WebOS phones as a legitimate contender outside of the loyal Palm community. The Plus models and the frequent OS updates seem to moving in the right direction. It's unfortunate...Palm's progress since the launch of WebOS phones has far outpaced the iPhone and Android platforms during their inception. It's just that they have been playing catch-up because they sat idle for too many years.

A little history...

As a Sprint Treo 755p owner I've been drooling over the new cell phones that have been released over the past few years. This summer I'm going to get a new phone. Verizon has poor coverage at home and both they and AT&T can't beat Sprint's current pricing.

I'll probably end up with a Sprint WebOS or Android phone. We'll just have to see what June/July brings. Hopefully, Sprint will have that new WebOS phone that we all have been expecting. I've been with Palm from the original Pilot and several Palm OS phones, so I am a tad loyal. However, I won't stay with them if their phone offerings on Sprint fall way behind the Android offerings. The iPhone is Orwellian, so I'll probably keep avoiding it ... if it ever does become an option on Sprint.
    Webos is a platform developers do not want to write for. Apple's OS and that of Android is what people are buying. Phone networks are struggling to get rid of Palms phones and this can be seen by the often drastic measures they take. For example, o2uk now give all phones free with all plans, they have been doing so for nearly 3 months and still people don't want it and the reason for that is the poor poor build quality of the phones.

Looking at the app cat now there is not that much that would jump out to anyone and most will buy a phone that has an established app cat and a sound build quality, something Palm cant offer. Here in the UK we have 935 apps and most of them are utter sxxx and as before, that with the build quality will see to it that people pass up on it thus developers will not write apps for a platform that does not sell even if it was easy to port their apps over.
    Apple and the Android OS along with RIM have got their chunk of the market and i cant see Palm making anymore progress and they will not survive based on a fan community and there is only so much the small developer will be able to produce. I along with a friend looked at getting some apps out for the UK market such as a London Tube app and getting the license to other info for other travel apps but it costs too much money and we fear we will not get it back. It is down to those companies to do the app themselves or for a developer who has the app on another platform to port over, neither looks like it will happen.
    People are getting more and more fed up with the poor quality apps that you can get and Palm seem to passing all sorts of rubbish and yes Apple have lots of rubbish apps but webOS has very very few half decent apps.
    Developers will only port over to WebOS is they think there is money to be made in that market. The fact that the PDK makes porting from iPhone easy (maybe even trivial) is a plus, but given the comparatively small number of people with WebOS phones, there just isn't a whole lot of money that can be made. I don't think mass porting is going to happen unless Palm phones start selling much, much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Developers will only port over to WebOS is they think there is money to be made in that market. The fact that the PDK makes porting from iPhone easy (maybe even trivial) is a plus, but given the comparatively small number of people with WebOS phones, there just isn't a whole lot of money that can be made. I don't think mass porting is going to happen unless Palm phones start selling much, much better.
    I dunno..if I take the counterpoint of this there are going to be a bunch more phones out there with the vz deal and with AT&T selling the gsm versions... From what I have heard the development on WebOS is waaaay better than android and iphone so I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more apps come through. From a business standpoint if I was a coder I would def want in on this bc its much easier to get noticed and if say 5 million users are out there and you have almost no app competition there is money to be made. App competition on the other platforms is just absurd at this point (mainly apple)
    iPhone developer of opengl-based game would be able to port their apps into PDK apps rather quickly; I believe a few PDK developers have said it's only take a couple of hours to port games from iPhone to webOS PDK.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that message has been spread enough that the average iPhone game developer would be aware. If all iPhone developers were aware, a few hours would be trivial for potential income that could be received.

Oh, and please keep in mind that currently non-partner third party PDK apps have yet to be allowed on the App Catalog; chances are there are a lot waiting to be released.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 04/07/2010 at 03:43 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Schmid View Post

I'll probably end up with a Sprint WebOS or Android phone. We'll just have to see what June/July brings. Hopefully, Sprint will have that new WebOS phone that we all have been expecting. I've been with Palm from the original Pilot and several Palm OS phones, so I am a tad loyal. However, I won't stay with them if their phone offerings on Sprint fall way behind the Android offerings. The iPhone is Orwellian, so I'll probably keep avoiding it ... if it ever does become an option on Sprint.
    I feel the same way. However, a new Palm phone would only be a first step. More importantly, the thing that Palm could do is release WebOS 1.5 (or 2.0?) and bring some new, significant, quality built-in apps and features (document editor? skype/voip? new home screen? flash? etc), while cooperating with developers and even contracting devs to make much-needed and demanded apps. Are there loads of apps that everyone would like that iPhone, Android, and BB have? Sure. Then, perhaps Palm should "persuade" some developers to work with them. Time WebOS 1.5's release with a quality "app bomb" and I think Palm would be in great shape. A new phone for Sprint wouldn't hurt, as everyone else is getting the Plus.