1.    #1  

((What WebOS Feature Causes Text Entered Into The Web Browser, To End Up In The Top-Bar Instead?))

"The Title Of This Thread Was Too Long; So That Is Why I Posted The Full Version Above."

I have been looking for info on this stupid feature for a while, but haven't been able to find anything; mainly because I have no idea what it is called.

When I'm using the Web Browser on my Pre, and I start writing text into the Text-Entry field of a web site; the letters end up being written into the Top-Bar of the browser; instead of the place I set for the text to go into. I (HATE) this stupid, annoying feature with a passion, but what exactly is it? What is the feature called and how do I disable it?

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

My understanding is that the only time it should do that is when a text field does not have focus. It would seem that the text field you tried to set as active did not receive the focus. But then I'm saying this based on my own experience with this, so there may be other factors I have not encountered.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    My understanding is that the only time it should do that is when a text field does not have focus. It would seem that the text field you tried to set as active did not receive the focus. But then I'm saying this based on my own experience with this, so there may be other factors I have not encountered.

Thanks Grabber5.0! That makes sense, but I have had this happen even as I am writing in the browser; where the cursor icon is clearly blinking. I wouldn't mind the feature if it became active because there were no places to type text in, and then that caused the Universal Search to become activate. It just doesn't seem to be working like that for me. Just a few minutes ago I was doing a Google search with the cursor icon blinking in the Text-Entry box, and as I started typing; the text opened within the Top-Bar instead. Then at times this stupid feature will not only open the text within the top-bar, but then access my browser history and take me to some site I wasn't even trying to go to. So lets say I start typing "MMA" into Google. The text will instead open within the top-bar; then the browser will find a page from my history that starts with "M" and take me to that site. So this annoying feature, added with the other pointless Auto-Refresh feature; have caused me to lose so many things that I had been writing on a web page.

I wonder if a Patch can be made to disable this feature?

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I've noticed this behavior as follows:

If I tap on a text field to place the focus/cursor there, and immediately start typing, the text will appear in the address bar. If I put the focus on the text field, wait a couple seconds, and then start typing, it will always keep it in the text field (not the address bar).

So to me, it seems like there's some delay in the phone bothering to check if the focus is on a text field or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerusty View Post
    I've noticed this behavior as follows:

If I tap on a text field to place the focus/cursor there, and immediately start typing, the text will appear in the address bar. If I put the focus on the text field, wait a couple seconds, and then start typing, it will always keep it in the text field (not the address bar).

So to me, it seems like there's some delay in the phone bothering to check if the focus is on a text field or not.
    I agree this seems to be the case for me as well.
    Glad I'm not the only one running into this. Annoying! I don't recall exactly when it started, but suspect it was probably with webOS 1.4...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    it happens to me once in a while but not often
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->