View Poll Results: How Many People Sightsee Through Their Pre/Pixi's Google Maps?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Sightsee Often

2 9.52%
  • I Sightsee Sometimes

9 42.86%
  • I Don't Sightsee At All

10 47.62%
  1.    #1  

When I'm bored or just waiting somewhere, I like to Sightsee through my Pre's Google Maps. The Satellite images aren't the most up-to-date, but it's still fun seeing different locations and how long it would take for me to get to a far away country.

I just wanted to see if anyone else does this? What odd places have you found? What is the longest journey-time you have come across?

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Actually, I use mine to find new fishing holes.

I do when I'm bored. Mostly at work when I'm lazy. :-) I like to check in on my old AF bases from time to time. I've seen the Effel Tower through my pre screen too.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    wow you guys get really bored.. Get a game on your phone dude....
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_singh View Post
    wow you guys get really bored.. Get a game on your phone dude....
    Your missing the point. A game is fun, but Google Maps shows you actual places. So it's a fun little learning tool. Also since I can't afford to travel all over the world; it is nice to at least see those places from a Satellites Perspective.

But I'm a Nerd, so I find fun in things that would otherwise be boring to others.

6.    #6  
    When I was looking on Google to find some odd mapping locations; I ended up finding this site:

http://www.satellitesights.com/satel...nusual_and_Odd

Now I don't feel so weird about sightseeing through Google Map

I do wish our WebOS version of GM's was more powerful, but I'm just happy that we have access.

I follow train tracks and power lines. It's weird, but in the days before I had a phone with Google Maps I found that knowing the major lines around my area was a great way to never really be lost, and the appeal of learning a new (to me) line hasn't worn off even though I don't really need to navigate that way anymore...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    I follow train tracks and power lines. It's weird, but in the days before I had a phone with Google Maps I found that knowing the major lines around my area was a great way to never really be lost, and the appeal of learning a new (to me) line hasn't worn off even though I don't really need to navigate that way anymore...
    I never really thought about using that method to help find your way. I have been living in Tennessee for 5 years now and still have a hard time finding places without GPS. So using power lines and train tracks would be a great way to help me keep track of different locations!

I used it over easter to impress my grandparents that my phone knew where we were, even within their house.

They were less than impressed.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by asvictory3 View Post
    I used it over easter to impress my grandparents that my phone knew where we were, even within their house.

They were less than impressed.
    !!! Yeah I have found that if someone doesn't truly understand how a technology works, then it isn't as impressive to them. When I went through automotive, computer and electronics training; my whole mindset changed for the better, because I understood how these things worked in a much more detailed way then before. So for those of us that understand something like Google Maps; it is amazing. For others without the technical knowledge though, are not as amazed.

I wish our phones had Google Earth and Google Sky, because those are even more impressive then just Google Maps.

I've been hoping that Google will do an Earth for webOS now that the PDK is out there, but based on how stagnant their maps effort is on webOS I'm not holding my breath...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  12. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I backpacked in Europe in between graduating and starting to work. It's fun to go back and see places I've visited... from the sky!
    In my occupation when I use my GPS in my Tow Truck and it cant find a new housing development, I go right to my phone and find it using Google Maps. LOL it works great, and love the satellite view also.
    I don't use google maps, don't need it because Sprint Nav works great and I also really like Sprints Nav the turn by turn directions that plays over my cars audio system.