Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was very happy to finally have more apps in the catalog. Of course, the new possibility to buy Apps. But when I saw that I can only pay by credit card, I could throw up. I do not have a credit card. What now? At least in Germany, a credit card is not very common. Especially since Palm is trying to attract the younger audience. Why not PayPal, direct debit or via the phone bill? Palm whacked so many possibilities. Whether its advertising, or many other things that we had seen lately. And they wonder that their numbers (money) go back.
    Palm Pre O2 Germany webOS 1.4.1
    how did you intend to pay without a credit card? mail palm some cash and hope it got there?
    Apply for a credit card?
    Clearly you have not lived in Germany long. Credit cards are very popular there and all over the EU. How is it you usually pay for online transactions?
  5.    #5  
    I will not apply a credit card only for the App Catalog. Means again provide personal information to a bank. And maybe annual costs for the card. I live for 23 years in Germany. Most of my friends and work colleagues are all in the media industry and only a small part has a credit card. Even German press wrote about the App Catalog there is a poor choice for Germany to accept only credit card payment.
    Palm Pre O2 Germany webOS 1.4.1
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    There have been reports all over the place that the store only accepts credit cards. This has been the case since day 1 for US purchases. What would make you think that things would be ANY different for Germany? If they don't offer Paypal in the US I doubt they would in Germany. Wait, doesn't Paypal offer a "credit card" number for access to paypal payment? Seems I have used it before.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Facing the same problem here. Solution may be a virtual credit card. Just signed up with Wirecard, seems to be free, will test out a transaction tomorrow. It's a prepaid virtual credit card that acts as a VISA card. You can fill up the account via bank transfer.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    It also allows debit card, which i use (well, to be specific, a gift-debit card)
    Ok, this thread may indeed seem a little weird for most American users.. however, the original poster actually has a point.

A life without a credit card in the US? Not possible.. a life with just a debit card in Germany? Very likely! Most adults of course have a credit card, but it's simply a matter of preference. Personally I'm ok with just a credit card, but you have to understand that payment preferences are very different over here. Credit Cards are not nearly as accepted as in the US.. not even close.

Just my 2 cents for your understanding
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    Ok, this thread may indeed seem a little weird for most American users.. however, the original poster actually has a point.

A life without a credit card in the US? Not possible.. a life with just a debit card in Germany? Very likely! Most adults of course have a credit card, but it's simply a matter of preference. Personally I'm ok with just a credit card, but you have to understand that payment preferences are very different over here. Credit Cards are not nearly as accepted as in the US.. not even close.

Debit cards work, therefore your statement is hereby quashed

Anyways, I agree Palm needs to do something else, but they can't.

They don't handle the payment processing in Europe. They outsourced it to the same company that handled PalmOS app sales in Europe, so you should try complaining to them. They will probably listen and harass Palm into adding it into the App Catalog as a payment option because it means more money to go around for everyone.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post

You mean high personal and federal debt is not the policy all over the world? Losers! j/k
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Debit cards work, therefore your statement is hereby quashed
    That's right: Master & Visa debit cards are working - but not the european Maestro ones.

Anyway: I think, if palm requires developers to localize their projects, they should have asked their business partners for an adapted billing-method. Palm obviously desperately needs cash - and they implement a system which doesn't address the people - that's ridiculos.

Personally I cannot imagine living without a credit card, but I know many many people living without one - and even never missing it.
    sparda-bank bietet eine kostenlose kreditkarte
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebar View Post
    That's right: Master & Visa debit cards are working - but not the european Maestro ones.

Anyway: I think, if palm requires developers to localize their projects, they should have asked their business partners for an adapted billing-method. Palm obviously desperately needs cash - and they implement a system which doesn't address the people - that's ridiculos.

Personally I cannot imagine living without a credit card, but I know many many people living without one - and even never missing it.
    that is correct.
    for anyone doubting, check the ToS for the app catalog and you'll see that any visa or mastercard backed card works, credit or otherwise.

I would suggest the op buy some prepaid or charge cards.
    there's no need to actually apply for a credit card.
    I myself use debit to pay.
    Some Visa Debit cards are accepted. So far I haven't been able to find one person using an HBOS Visa Debit (Scotland) that's managed to get it to work, but I know a few who're having problems. Myself included. I also do not have a credit card. It would probably be more sensible for online purchases than a debit card, but I have no real need for one, and as I'm starting a much better paid job in July there's no point opening one right now. This is the first time in 4 years of using this card that I've had a problem with it being accepted. Palm needs to sort this out.
    shinebar is correct, Master or Visa debit is not helping at all, it's basically the same as a credit card for us. Maestro is the debit card everyone is using here, it's the card every single bank will give you with an account. Although it is owned by MasterCard, I don't think we can actually use it for the Catalog, it's a completely different system. I'm gonna try though, but the payment methods in Europe are a little more complicated and not always compatible because of very different earlier systems.

Maestro (debit card) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@Cringer Yeah, it's a shame I know
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    credit cards are really uncommon in germany simply because you don't need them and they are more expensive than other payment methods. I'm a 30 year old german, I never felt I would need a credit card and I don't know anyone who owns a credit card except one person who got it for a trip to northern africa. I repeat: I don't know ANYONE except this one person who actually never used this card.

If you want to sell something in germany you HAVE to know that "credit card only" is a very very stupid idea! Very stupid!
    I know a company from the states who did it but soon after launch recognized its mistake a offered a wide range of payment methods (like every you can imagine).

I would like to spend some money - really! But I can't. And I won't get a credit card just because some americans can't think of a reason why the rest of the world may actually do things in a different way. If you want to do business you better do your homework. Palm didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Clearly you have not lived in Germany long. Credit cards are very popular there and all over the EU. How is it you usually pay for online transactions?
    obviously you don't know what you're talking about. I buy plenty of stuff online... never was in need of a credit card. Other companies seem to know how to do business here.
    I wouldn't call it stupid, but it's not a smart move either. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Palm$ $will$ $offer$ $different$ $payment$ $methods$ $in$ $the$ $future$, $but$ $heck$.. $they$ $already$ $spent$ $six$ $months$ $on$ $that$ $feature$ $for$ $Europe$!
    Amazon.de for example offers different payment methods for ages now because they adapted to the market.

Like I said, personally I don't care, but you heard Jalik. And he's not the first one saying that he won't buy any application because he won't get a credit card just for the App Catalog. Different culture different rules
    They don't except my amex card ;-(
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    They don't except my amex card ;-(
    Amex costs a lot more to charge (Amex charges retailer/etailers a hefty fee just to accept Amex, as well as a higher percentage than Visa/MC/Discover charge).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast