1.    #1  
    So, after the excrutiating wait, we now have paid apps in the UK. However I don't own a Credit Card and don't intend on getting one either. I was hoping O2 UK would just add the cost of downloads on to my monthly bill but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.
    My question then, is do Palm take debit cards ? if so, specifically do they take Visa Electron ?
    I tried setting up an account with my wifes Visa Electron card but was unable to.
    Would anyone like to post here the type of cards that they know are accepted by Palm.

Oh well, back to waiting.

Stu.
    Some people have reported on other threads that their Visa Debit has been accepted, however it will not accept my Bank of Scotland Visa Debit. I also do not have a credit card, and do not wish to open one till I start a new job in July.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    My Smile Visa debit card is OK but its not an Electron
  4.    #4  
    I wonder if there is actually a difference between Visa debit and Visa Electron.
    In the same boat here!
    I have no intention taking out credit for this,
    I think this is a major oversite on Palm's part.
    Even if i took out a card for this reason there is no way i would give any details to any "3rd party" never needed to with any other mobile manufacturer,
    and i'm not going to now no matter how much i adore my pre!
    they've got to be losing a lot of extra much needed income by working this way.
    at least we still have the 3 free games.
    RANT OVER!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Not to stir up trouble. But ***. Why would you be willing to give a 3rd party access to a debit card but not a credit card. A debit card has full access to funds in the checking/savings account tied to the card. Sure the bank will (may) stand behind you in identity theft but you could be some days or weeks without your funds. A credit card is a pay after use so if there is identity theft your risk is much lower.

I ONLY use a credit card for online purchases, I would NEVER expose my checking account to an online 3rd party company.
    Dan
    My MBNA credit card fails. No idea why, just a general contact your financial institute message.

I'm guessing it's because there is nowhere to enter county details and MBNA are sticklers for the address being spot on.

I have to use paypal on steam for that reason. Palm might have to add paypal if they want me to spend any money.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sickpuppysoftware View Post
    I have to use paypal on steam for that reason. Palm might have to add paypal if they want me to spend any money.
    PayPal would be a perfect solution for international commercial transactions. This has always been my preferred online payment method.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sickpuppysoftware View Post
    PayPal would be a perfect solution for international commercial transactions. This has always been my preferred online payment method. It allows everyone to access online purchases with whatever payment method they prefer.

I guess the only downside is that the vendor needs to pay PayPal fees. I wonder if PayPal fees are higher than credit card fees?
    Just contacted my credit card company and they deny any attempts failed or otherwise from palm (or anybody else for that matter) today.

It looks like the app store is failing on some cards and giving the wrong error message claiming that the card provider has declined.

Hopefully these issues will be rectified soon.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I get the PMT04001 contact your financial institution error with my personal Halifax Visa Debit and business HSBC Visa Debit. I have reported it to Palm support but they gave me some twaddle about no one in the EU should be able to buy apps yet!! I'll wait and see what they come back with as they are supposed to be escalating it.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Not to stir up trouble. But ***. Why would you be willing to give a 3rd party access to a debit card but not a credit card. A debit card has full access to funds in the checking/savings account tied to the card. Sure the bank will (may) stand behind you in identity theft but you could be some days or weeks without your funds. A credit card is a pay after use so if there is identity theft your risk is much lower.

I ONLY use a credit card for online purchases, I would NEVER expose my checking account to an online 3rd party company.
    Very valid points, however a lot of us just don't have a credit card. I'm starting a new job which pays 4x what I'm earning at the moment, so don't want to apply for one until I start that in July. I don't want to wait that long for access to paid apps though.
    Sussed it lads, go to 02 website you need to be a customer,
    says it should take 5 to 10 days to receive said card!
    this way you only put on what you plan to use.
    hope this helps!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Cool, will check it out mate, cheers.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    A word of warning, my frequent attempts to get my debit cards to work got picked up by the fraud dept at the Halifax and a stop was put on my card. So I guess at least something is getting through.

The lady on the phone couldn't tell me exactly why it wasn't working but did say they where having issues yesterday so it may be related to that?

Ill wait and see what Palm support come back with.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Just to update, Palm support came back today and implied that a visit to the Dr would be required. So out of curiosity I tried my Visa debit again and it now works (well I can add the card I haven't purchased anything with it yet)
    i finally worked up the courage to start buying apps, as i didn't really want to spend much money and when i try it won't let me D:
    I have Maestro debit card, and it just tells me to verify the card number and payment type even though i already have.

Am i not able to buy apps either?
    I use a pre paid mastercard just for safety reasons . It's alot of ugly things out on the net never know whose watching and it works niceeee ......