Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    An Open Letter to DataViz Inc.,

Dear Sirs,

There are a large number of people who have been trying to get your attention for some months now. I am a member of this group.

I would first like to apologize for those of us (even myself, perhaps) who have not always, shall we say, “minded our manners” in our communications with you. You see, we have been waiting for you, literally, for months now, and some of us are growing impatient. So, I hope that you will forgive us for those indiscretions.

You see, in January of 2009, we were made aware of a new product, the Palm Pre running WebOS. We were very excited about this new platform, and especially the new operating system. For some of us, the fact that DataViz was a launch partner was an important factor in adopting the new platform. The document viewer that came with the Pre on launch day, which you programmed, is an excellent program for what it does, but we were very disappointed that a full document editing program was not immediately available. We immediately looked to you and Palm for answers. We were initially told “August of 2009” then “Late 2009” and for several months now “Early 2010.”

In the intervening months, you have released applications for iPhone, BlackBerry, Maemo (MeeGo) and Android, and have issued updates for each. So, we have begun to wonder, “Has DataViz abandoned us?” It’s not just your evasive “let me check on that, I’ll get back to you” comments that have us worried. Indeed, Palm’s continued financial problems and the slow sales of the WebOS devices make it apparent to even us that the greener pastures for you lay with iphone and Android.

But you see, we are not just fans of Palm and our Pre’s and Pixi’s, nor of just WebOS, but most of us who are most interested in Documents to Go for WebOS are fans of DataViz and Documents to Go as well. We have used your programs in the past on our Treos and Centros, and even our Windows Mobile and Symbian phones, and have found it to be an indispensable productivity tool that we cannot live without.

So we ask, not for you to "give away the farm", nor "to spill the beans", but to just give us some affirmation. We would like to know that Documents to Go for WebOS is still in the works, and that our patience will be rewarded. Likewise, if it is your intention to abandon WebOS, then you owe it to all of us, Palm included, to be clear about your intentions. An announcement in the negative may be perceived by the marketplace to be an albatross for Palm, but as it is certainly only one of many, why worry about it?

As it stands right now, there are well over a million WebOS devices in the hands of consumers worldwide. Even if Palm does fold, which we do not believe they will, WebOS will live on through a very substantial base of users and developers who have grown to love and appreciate the elegance of the world’s finest mobile operating system. There is a vibrant community whose members often ask of you. (Reference the following: here, here, and here.) Yes, we do not have the numbers of iPhone or Android, but there are enough of us for you to make a tidy profit.

So, if you would, we would appreciate your clear, concise response. We look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

A.H.
    Amen! Just give us an answer and quit screwing around.
    This needs to be posted on their Facebook page, and tweeted to them (at least the link.)
    Hey, DataViz, how about your app for WebOS? We're waiting.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Dear AH,

If Palm could learn to make and market a phone properly to get the user base up to a level we thought would create some sort of staying power for the OS, we would be happy to dedicate resources to finish development of DTG for webOS. But they have not met any of their own sales projections, and we just don't feel we'll see the return on investment for our time and effort to develop the program at this point in time.

While we do appreciate the links to certain forum threads, the people that frequent them are but a drop in the ocean when it comes to the total user base. Not that we do not care about our more tech savvy users, they just are not representative of the user base as a whole.

We do appreciate your interest in our products, and we will continue to monitor the sales of webOS devices. Should we see an upturn in sales we will be more than happy to revisit the project.

Sincerely,

Dataviz
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I guess you all got your answer!

Honestly, they did a bad thing by making everyone think they were working on the full version.

Shame on them for that!

But at least they had some respect for our community to tell us the honest truth.

So what do we do now?

Since they have officially said they are not interested any longer, we have one of the smartest developers within our community and I'm sure they can come together and develop an app suite that would put Dataviz's products to shame and we would never need them again.

So who is interested in porting over Open Office for WebOS!

Let's show Dataviz, they made a big mistake by putting Palm in the coffin well ahead of its time!

Rob
    ummm....that is just my take on what I think their thought process is. that was in no way, shape or form their official anything.

And I'm very happy I bought DTG on Android for $10 when it was on sale.

Thanks for thinking that actually could've been their official word though. Made me chuckle.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    @crogs571
    If Dataviz had the balls to say that, I could at least respect them.
    However at this point what they are doing borders on unethical. Just tell me yes, no, or maybe but not now. If I'm forced to switch to a new OS over this, without DataViz being forthright in their intentions I will look for any alternatives, rather than support them. I'm sure I'm not alone.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Dear AH,

If Palm could learn to make and market a phone properly to get the user base up to a level we thought would create some sort of staying power for the OS, we would be happy to dedicate resources to finish development of DTG for webOS. But they have not met any of their own sales projections, and we just don't feel we'll see the return on investment for our time and effort to develop the program at this point in time.

While we do appreciate the links to certain forum threads, the people that frequent them are but a drop in the ocean when it comes to the total user base. Not that we do not care about our more tech savvy users, they just are not representative of the user base as a whole.

We do appreciate your interest in our products, and we will continue to monitor the sales of webOS devices. Should we see an upturn in sales we will be more than happy to revisit the project.

Sincerely,

Dataviz
    IF you are legitimately involved with DataViz, please indicate your credentials in you post. If not, then please indicate that in your post as well.

I don't mind having some fun, but otherwise your comments would probably be considered libelous by Palm's lawyers. =)
    if you go to my next post two down from my original, you'll clearly see me state the obvious.
    Oh man you mean this was a joke!

I just left all this info on Palm's website, a message to their media and press department to give them a heads up on what is going to be bad news tomorrow!

Rob

Bad joke, if this was a joke!
  11.    #11  
    ummm....that is just my take on what I think their thought process is. that was in no way, shape or form their official anything.

And I'm very happy I bought DTG on Android for $10 when it was on sale.

Thanks for thinking that actually could've been their official word though. Made me chuckle.
    LOL! You posted that while I was typing my response...on my pre, of course! Sorry, I've been too jerked around already: just a little too sensitive!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSteelers View Post
    Amen! Just give us an answer and quit screwing around.
    This needs to be posted on their Facebook page, and tweeted to them (at least the link.)
    tweeted done before I even read your post.

DataViz has turned off fan posts to their wall and I don't see the point in putting it in a discussion box that they will just ignore (again.) someone else can feel free if they are so inclined.
    I'm with ya. Already had Iambic say that in a roundabout way on their forum in regards to Agendus. The whole limbo thing is a PITA especially when they were one of the original software partners at the launch. Makes zero sense. Probably had many people buy into webOS because it was an extremely logical assumption DTG would be out for webOS based on that. So many people who rely on document editing while mobile feel duped.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSteelers View Post
    @crogs571
    If Dataviz had the balls to say that, I could at least respect them.
    However at this point what they are doing borders on unethical. Just tell me yes, no, or maybe but not now. If I'm forced to switch to a new OS over this, without DataViz being forthright in their intentions I will look for any alternatives, rather than support them. I'm sure I'm not alone.
    now if you had the Pixi's keyboard you might have beaten me to the punch. But you were stuck with the Pre's lackluster keyboard and thus, are slow

Should've bought DTG for Android for $10 while you could have in anticipation of the almighty Evo....haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    LOL! You posted that while I was typing my response...on my pre, of course! Sorry, I've been too jerked around already: just a little too sensitive!
    Look I might have believed the posting but that does not mean my solution to their lack of putting out what they have been promising is not worth considering:

Port Open Office into WebOS!

Are any of the developers up to this and they would have the WebOS Market and nobody would care if Dataviz ever came out with a product for WebOS!

Rob
    dude...you've been around here for only two years less than I. I would think if I had an association with DataViz it would be a bit more well known.

And actually, I think it's a pretty good joke with so many people taking my response seriously. Just shows how up in arms people are at feeling duped by dataviz.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Oh man you mean this was a joke!

I just left all this info on Palm's website, a message to their media and press department to give them a heads up on what is going to be bad news tomorrow!

Rob

Bad joke, if this was a joke!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Look I might have believed the posting but that does not mean my solution to their lack of putting out what they have been promising is not worth considering:

Port Open Office into WebOS!

Are any of the developers up to this and they would have the WebOS Market and nobody would care if Dataviz ever came out with a product for WebOS!

Rob
    Open Office probably won't work. It's been discussed. It's too big, and was never intended for mobile.

There are other mobile-centric options, though. But, DtG would be the best option if it becomes available IMO. So that is why i've been chasing them for an answer.
    Everyone remember this pic? Right side, middle...

Iphone is on version 3.1. Android is on 2.0. They still say on their website early 2010. To me that is by the end of April. Otherwise you're beyond early and into the middle of 2010 if you divide the year into thirds (early, middle and late). So who knows, maybe it's not a pipe dream and they're just sticking to the extreme end of early 2010.

19.    #19  
    dude...you've been around here for only two years less than I. I would think if I had an association with DataViz it would be a bit more well known.

And actually, I think it's a pretty good joke with so many people taking my response seriously. Just shows how up in arms people are at feeling duped by dataviz.
    ok guys, nbd, calm down...=)
    I think it's all comical. I know "dude" can be interpreted in many many ways...
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast