Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    After all this time, if they launch something less than stellar, it will be a major disappointment. But I'm sure many of us would buy it anyway just to have something to edit documents with (spreadsheets in particular.. ClassicNote is good enough for text documents given the lack of alternatives).

*Dataviz, that last statement was in no way intended to imply that we are willing to accept less functionality than other platforms.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Mail Bomb Dataviz, quickoffice, QT and etc..

Someone will surrender. lol..
    The pre page posted on yor web site states that:

...we currently plan to release Documents To Go for webOS in early 2010, allowing you to edit and create Microsoft® Word, Excel® and PowerPoint® files on your Pre!

All I ask is that you live up to your word and follow through. Count me in as one of your first customers!

-John Logan
    San Diego, CA
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if DocToGo (10.002) for Palm OS 5.4.8 will work ( WRITE, EDIT, & SYNC to DTG DeskTop with "CLASSIC" for Palm WebOS ?? No answer form Classic yet.

This would give us a solution to the missing Palm Pre DTG.
    I stood in line on day 1 and bought my Pre and became a strong advocate to anyone who would listen... I have seen a friend since get an Android with tens of thousands of apps, including a full version of DataViz DocstoGo... thus making my Pre look quite lame.. I now plan to abandon Palm and get an evo or IPhone HD in June...
    Quote Originally Posted by DougDFW View Post
    I stood in line on day 1 and bought my Pre and became a strong advocate to anyone who would listen... I have seen a friend since get an Android with tens of thousands of apps, including a full version of DataViz DocstoGo... thus making my Pre look quite lame.. I now plan to abandon Palm and get an evo or IPhone HD in June...
    You deserve to if apps or a word processor are you're only reason for getting a phone. It's also quite sad you registered to the forums just to say that.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Quote Originally Posted by RUB View Post
    Does anyone know if DocToGo (10.002) for Palm OS 5.4.8 will work ( WRITE, EDIT, & SYNC to DTG DeskTop with "CLASSIC" for Palm WebOS ?? No answer form Classic yet.

This would give us a solution to the missing Palm Pre DTG.
    I am using DTG 11 for Palm OS/Classic, and it works great. It is a partial solution, but not the same as a native Web OS version, which is what Dataviz said they'd come out with in "Early 2010"...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    You deserve to if apps or a word processor are you're only reason for getting a phone. It's also quite sad you registered to the forums just to say that.
    Probably a troll. It is also quite sad that the troll says DTG not being available is Palm's fault, when Palm CLEARLY isn't developing another company's products.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Maybe just the threat of losing all WebOS users to another competing product would get their *ss in gear!

Rob

I just checked and all the Open Office versions are for the x86 platform, I thought they had a java only version. But it's something to start with or look at.
    I agree.

And regarding your final sentences, OO is Java only. Nothing else. And like I said, the Pre/Pixi uses Java for services, but NOT for interface as there is NO java emulator available for it, nor any x window system. If, perhaps, there was a java emulator built with SDL, then it would work. Otherwise, it wouldn't. Ever.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    The PDK is officially out in the wild, Palm claiming porting of iP aplications with it can be done in days. DataWiiz has been a partner since launch and probably could have used the PDK even longer - that makes this nothing more than a joke and yet another ubleliveable non-happening that hurts Palm. I'm amazed ...
    You know, I looked back at my files. I've been a loyal customer of Data Viz for a very long time. I have purchased AT LEAST 3 copies of EVERY version of Documents To Go (I'm one of those wierd people that follows license terms and buy a seperate copy for every device). Actually some versions more than that with standard, pro, and premium versions. I've gotten 4 copies of Desktop to Go, 6 copies of Beyond Contacts, 8 copies of SmartList to Go (2 versions).

I think it's clear that I'm willing to spend money on good products. If Data Viz would just keep their promises, I, for one, would be sending another chunk of money their way.

Not so patiently waiting,
    Panagiotis
    Adding my name to the list.

Also, I'd love to see the apps sold separately. I'd like all of them, but I only really need documents.
    you know we are now in to april, this is the end of early 2010. 4th month in is the end of early and the begining of the middle of the year in my opinion. this is the same for Flash player from adobe, its lame if you ask me. Why can't anyone just share the truth, yes no or i don't know are exceptable answers in my book.
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    You've had really excellent products for a very long time. I used Documents To Go and Beyond Contacts on my 700p for YEARS. I assumed Docs To Go would be on the Pre right away. I can't believe it's still not out. It can't be that hard to port it over! Is the slightly different Pixie the reason? What gives? Whatever the reason is I don't care. Even though I have "CLASSIC" I don't want to run Docs To Go that way, AND I'M TRYING TO GET MY COMPANY TO CONSIDER WEB-OS PHONES FOR OUR SALES FORCE BECAUSE THEY CAN SAVE A LOT OF MONEY REPLACING BLACKBERRIES AND AIR-CARDS WITH ONE DEVICE - EXCEPT IT NEEDS DOCS TO GO!!!!! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by chadman14 View Post
    Not sure if it will help, but Dataviz has a "notify me when it is done" email form on their sight. If they get enough hits on that, they may be encouraged to get the lead out. Everybody with a WebOS phone should make their interest known.
    I hit that.
    Who's flying this thing?
  16.    #76  
    Wow. Thanks to Robert for putting this up on the blog. A lot of good responses. I appreciate everyone's input.

Of course, DataViz has not responded, and I doubt they will, but at least we have a forum where we can try to get their attention.

We all have different reasons for buying a WebOS phone, and we all have different reasons for wanting or needing an office suite for their phone. All of our reasons are valid. So, with that I hope that we can keep the focus on "bring us an office suite" and not arguing about why.

I encourage everyone with an interest to do so to follow some of the links that have been posted and post comments and qiestions to all of the different companies.

Our motivations may be different, but our goal is the same.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I've used Docs to Go on every Palm smartphone that I have had for the past 15 years or so. I loved being able to travel with a Treo and wireless keyboard and knock out documents. My Treo was on its last leg so I waited for the Pre anticipating the same type of functionality with a little more pizazz. Well I got the pizazz now I'm waiting for the functionality. Us business users are hurting out here, as we visit Precentral everyday hoping to see the app that makes it worth the 10 month wait. Help
    Dataviz, your previously loyal followers are waiting for the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Probably a troll. It is also quite sad that the troll says DTG not being available is Palm's fault, when Palm CLEARLY isn't developing another company's products.
    Geez, I've been a member of this forum for 3 months, and for my first post the forum bully calls me a Troll!!! I just wanted to point out a few things from my perspective (which I thought was the point of a forum).

1) Apps and DocstoGO were not the ONLY reason I got the Pre, but they are HUGE reasons for purchasing ANY smartphone.

2) Read my post again-- I in no way stated it was Palm's fault that Dataviz has yet to get the WebOS version out... I simply stated that is makes the Palm look lame compared to my friend's Android that DOES have DocsToGo and a much better selection of apps...

3) This is my opinion, so please accept them at face value and quit trying to be a bully. As I pointed out, I bought the Pre on day one, but am just venting my EXTREME frustration with the situation... WHOEVER's FAULT IT IS.
    The best solution of course is for Dataviz or Quickoffice to come out with a native webOS tool. But if it works on Classic, there is an interim solution. Sure its not ideal. But it works.

I finally broke down and got Classic because of PasswordsPlus (ironically another Dataviz product) since SplashData hasn't gotten around to adding syncing to their password product on the Palm yet and I have no delusions about Dataviz getting this done. Well the discount recently offered on Classic was a consideration too .

Guess I'll add DTG to the Classic install too. Though I've hardly ever done any editing of word documents on my phone (Treo at the time).

In the end I think we should count on new rounds of developers. Iambic and Dataviz in particular have several stale products that they seem less than enthused about keeping up even in the old world. Agendus Mail from Iambic and SmartlistToGo from Dataviz are particular examples of ancientware even in the PalmOS world.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougDFW View Post
    Geez, I've been a member of this forum for 3 months, and for my first post the forum bully calls me a Troll!!! I just wanted to point out a few things from my perspective (which I thought was the point of a forum).

1) Apps and DocstoGO were not the ONLY reason I got the Pre, but they are HUGE reasons for purchasing ANY smartphone.

2) Read my post again-- I in no way stated it was Palm's fault that Dataviz has yet to get the WebOS version out... I simply stated that is makes the Palm look lame compared to my friend's Android that DOES have DocsToGo and a much better selection of apps...

3) This is my opinion, so please accept them at face value and quit trying to be a bully. As I pointed out, I bought the Pre on day one, but am just venting my EXTREME frustration with the situation... WHOEVER's FAULT IT IS.
    Don't worry about it Doug. This is a huge forum, and no matter what you say, someone is going to take exception to it. In the end, it's probably best to just ignore posts that attack you for your opinions and motivations. Otherwise you just end up frustrated. Trust me, I've been there!

like I said earlier, our motivations may be different, but hopefully our goal is the same: document editing on WebOS FTW!!!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast