1.    #1  
    First off, I have said some pretty harsh things about Palm in the past. I'm not sorry, nor am I a fan of Palm now. Just thought I would get that part out of the way up front.

It seems to me that the PDK is nothing more than a thinly disguised iPhone app porting kit. I follow this site daily, and for what it's worth, think it is one of the better tech sites out there. I never miss a Palmcast. Anyway, it seems that all of the apps that are highlighted on this site that people are excited about are iPhone ports. As a Mac user, I know for a harsh fact that this is bad for the platform. Is there something more to the PDK that I am missing? Do you feel that the native SDK has been underutilized or even abandoned? Do you think it matters.

My personal feeling about Palm aside, I am genuinely curious about what Palm users think. It seems that everyone around here is just glad to have some decent apps, regardless of their nature. I have not seen any critical discussion about this aspect of the app catalogue. Thoughts?
    I think it's a nice addition for the time being to have fullscreen games that use the PDK. What interests me more than direct ports are the hybrid applications that are now possible.

For example, NaNplayer. This is clearly a Mojo application, but the PDK now enables possibilities that couldn't be done before. The developer has already mentioned that it might be possible to use the PDK for plugins that would possibly enable other audio codecs, enable an equalizer, etc. (Not that those features will necessarily be in there, just that the developer might incorporate them).

It's similar to how Sprint Navigation works. A plugin in the background to do the heavy lifting, while the interface and everything like that is done by the Mojo application.

Or you could do a game that uses a PDK plugin for sound effects and the like that are much better than currently possible.

Because, while the fullscreen 3D games are neat and all, I'd rather have a Mojo-based app any day, for the decreased RAM usage and greater multitasking ability. (That'd be the reason why I use Card Ace Hold'Em over the similar PDK-based Gameloft game, for example.)

And even better will be when we can have real applications that utilize this.
    Of the seven apps I use on a regular basis, none are iphone originals, and one was just ported to the iphone (without credit given to the original webos programmer, I might add).
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    First off, I have said some pretty harsh things about Palm in the past. I'm not sorry, nor am I a fan of Palm now. Just thought I would get that part out of the way up front.

It seems to me that the PDK is nothing more than a thinly disguised iPhone app porting kit. I follow this site daily, and for what it's worth, think it is one of the better tech sites out there. I never miss a Palmcast. Anyway, it seems that all of the apps that are highlighted on this site that people are excited about are iPhone ports. As a Mac user, I know for a harsh fact that this is bad for the platform. Is there something more to the PDK that I am missing? Do you feel that the native SDK has been underutilized or even abandoned? Do you think it matters.

My personal feeling about Palm aside, I am genuinely curious about what Palm users think. It seems that everyone around here is just glad to have some decent apps, regardless of their nature. I have not seen any critical discussion about this aspect of the app catalogue. Thoughts?
    I think it's a fair question that you ask, and I will give you simply my opinion on the situation.

iPhone apps being ported over directly....so far only games really because of the developers who have had access to the PDK, game companies. I don't see a problem with that at all. The games I have played have made the transition well. When it comes to games I think a different perspective has to be take then other apps anyways. People are used to games being multi-platform....Xbox 360/PS3/Wii. As it is right now iPhone was the only real player for this type of platform, maybe when/if other OSes gain market share you will perhaps see some games that are "exclusive" to Android or webOS (I would say iPhone as well but most are exclusive to them right now).

When it comes to other types of apps, I think it's a matter of patience. There are some great webOS original apps, Dr. Podder for one. Lets face it though, with an app store of over 100,000 apps most things have already been done on the iPhone. Yes some of those will end up being straight ports, maybe even the majority (of the popular ones, not the majority of the 100k). If they work well on webOS, then I see no real problem with it. What would be ideal is a company port their app over, then tweak it to fit the webOS style. My guess is there will be some who do that, but perhaps not right away because that would slow their release down. Then you will have the webOS originals built without the PDK but only through the SDK. My guess is many of those start to incorporate things from the PDK into their SDK built apps, and improve them. And of course there will be brand new originals, too.

So, as I see things happening, it will end up being a mixture of pure ports, hybrids, and originals. Right now though it is not because the PDK access has been limited. That is ending though. I see nothing truly wrong with how the App Catalog will end up being (Unless it ends up with no new apps at all )
    I haven't used the PDK, but from what I've seen about apps built with it and comparing to apps built with the "native SDK" (and from my own experience with it), the PDK is far more native than the official SDK ever will be.

The SDK is missing too many API's, or the ones there are simply not that good. Then again, that's what happens when the main tool is an interpreted language. Interpreted languages just put too much overheard on a system. I guess the reason you may interpret the PDK as an "iPhone app porting kit" is because it gives access to the guts of the phone, something iPhone developers have been able to do for a while, and at the end of the day, both platforms share an awful lot of hardware.
    Maybe they can port their entire os over, so we can have a mic and no more too many cards error.

Aside, I actually dont have a problem with it. Everything from the sdk so far seems very basic and limited, even our visual voicemail app doesn't have earpiece use. I know that api's and whatnot, but just saying. So, nothing native that is exciting is going on here. I also think most apps that can be created at this point,already have been. So if it's easy to just port them over to us, then that seems to make fine sense to me.
    Personally, I hope that Palm uses the PDK to port all of their stock apps over, or at least email, calendar and maybe messaging. Those could use a huge speed increase and one of the ways of achieving that is having them developed using a compiled language through the PDK.
    Simply put, the pdk is great for intensive process and games. However for GUIs, I want Mojo; it's simply a hell of a lot more easy to create.

Hybrid apps are where I see the future of the webOS. Apps with a plugin element, but otherwise normal app.

For example, Classic is a hybrid app. The PalmOS square part is the plugin, the rest of the app is Mojo.

Palm provides javascript function to send data to the plugin, and to get data from the plugin.

And plugins don't even need to take up GUI space. You can have a hidden plugin and use PDK plugin to do intesive data processing and display it all in Mojo.

Palm is deeply committed to Mojo SDK and I don't see that going away anytime soon.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 03/25/2010 at 12:47 AM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I develop solely for the Pre - definitely not for the iPhone - but that's mainly due to the fact that you need a mac for the iPhone dev.
    Of course they do. Only a fraction of the new apps that roll into the catalog are PDK apps. I really don't see that changing drastically when it goes public and the os update to allow PDK-based app distribution for all devs rolls out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

its natural that the PDK will be used to port apps from the Iphone catalog. From a developer stand point that is the cheapest, most efficient way to to get content to a new audience. Especially when the WebOS install base is so small. I'm not sure why this is a problem as the Iphone does have a lot of good apps (and a lot of bad ones, but w/e) But the PDk also affords the opportunity to make apps unique to WebOS because applications can be fused with elements of the SDK. you'll have to wait until the middle of the year to see the fruits of this.
    Whatever makes more useful applications available to us works for me. If the PDK increases incentive to develop for WebOS then who are we to complain? I still do not quite understand the concept of SDK vs PDK but evidently the bottom line is it opens up new doors that hopefully will bring an influx of stuff we've been waiting for.

So hey Palm, hurry up and get it out will ya???
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    I use a couple of apps that are iPhone ports, but honestly most of mine are direct PDK originals and patches.
    Global Posts
    20,073 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelWright View Post
    I develop solely for the Pre - definitely not for the iPhone - but that's mainly due to the fact that you need a mac for the iPhone dev.
    Someone told me you could probably use virtualization to be able to use the tools to build for the iPhone. Never looked into it, so they could have been pulling my tail.
    Personally, I don't really care where the apps come from, I just want more apps to be available on WebOS. To be honest, I was seriously considering switching to an Android device the other day for the sole purpose that there is more app support on that platform. I then realized that as a phone, in and of itself, the Pre does everything I need it to. Apps are just a bonus.

A ton of my friends have iPhones, and I'll admit, they have some pretty nifty apps that I would love to have on my Pre. It doesn't matter to me whether it's ported or if my next door neighbor makes it native for the Pre, I just want useful apps. Plus, if iPhone apps get ported, that means more money for the developer(s), so everyone wins.