1.    #1  
    I am not convinced that new hardware is the best answer for Palm's survival at this point. I actually think the Pixi, if anything, is what's going to help Palm through the hard times.

It is a known fact that Palm is short on funds right now. Creating new hardware with the best specs on the market takes a huge amount of resources. even if they did create a new piece of hardware, how long before a competitor comes along with a phone that trumps those specs? This is a race that only companies with deep pockets have any hope in competing in.

In my opinion, Palm's best approach is to get webOS in as many people's hands as possible. Let the average phone buyer discover the elegance of and ease of use of this great mobile OS. For the average phone buyer, price point is the biggest factor in their decision when purchasing new phones.

If the Pixi, or something like it, can sell for a modest price, it will allow Palm to move units and make some profit. Once webOS is as recognized as Android, for example, among the average consumer, and once Palm is in a more stable position, Palm will be in a better place to launch a new phone that will wow all the techno junkies.
    you do d have a good point. I just don't think Palm has the money to dish out a super high end phone anymore.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Also the waiting gives webOS time to mature with speed. Sometimes just playing with the two Android OS phones Sprint has(Me an employee ),reminds me of how sluggish webOS can be. They move so much quickly from application to application. I envy.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
    Also the waiting gives webOS time to mature with speed. Sometimes just playing with the two Android OS phones Sprint has(Me an employee ),reminds me of how sluggish webOS can be. They move so much quickly from application to application. I envy.
    I agree that webOS can use a little more polish, but even in its current state I find it much more usable than Android phones. My friend has a Droid, and I am constantly able to accomplish the same tasks as he is in less time. I won't deny that the Droid can be pretty snappy when it comes to opening apps. But, the time difference in navigating to different apps and more than makes up for the lag time in my experience.
    The app store isn't helping either. An utter pile of tripe and the 'Look how long it took Apple with their app store' just doesn't cut anymore. In 2 years they had over 100,000 apps. The non US user has 460 apps and that is after 6 months of being around in the UK. With paid apps on the way to non US users it isn't going to help as the app store is a pile of second rate stuff and the big name app devs are staying clear of it because other platforms are selling well. A friends iPhone has so many apps i would pay for and they are ones that are useful and productive.

I'm in the UK and the apps we can download have no relevance to the UK and i very much doubt the paid app store will be any different so if Palm want to be a player they need a better unit and better apps made. They need to want people to buy it and apps is the big thing and Palm can't offer that.
    I disagree. The competition is too much right now, especially with the EVO 4G out this summer. The hw is ridiculous on that thing. Without that hw, it would just be another Android phone. Most Pre owners understand that the hw is what keeps WebOS a notch or two down from the rest. Faulty keyboards, failing touchscreens, defective pins (stuck pin issue with headset) are all the types of things that give the Pre a bad rep.

Yes, WebOS is better than anything out there but the hw is very poor in quality and seems to have a blind man working in the QA dept.

Palm has already stated that they will unveil a new device this yr. Hopefully, it has really good specs. Put WeBOS on EVO 4G type hw and that phone would rule all.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf3476 View Post

In my opinion, Palm's best approach is to get webOS in as many people's hands as possible. Let the average phone buyer discover the elegance of and ease of use of this great mobile OS. For the average phone buyer, price point is the biggest factor in their decision when purchasing new phones.
    I totally agree with you on this one. If Palm could get more of their devices into the peoples hands, they'll do just fine. Then later they could develop a new device. Here in Canada, we're still waiting for an announcement for the Pixi to come out, and in my opinion, that would be a great smartphone to start people out on the WebOS. The Pre is just not having the positive effect it's suppose to have.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I disagree. The competition is too much right now, especially with the EVO 4G out this summer. The hw is ridiculous on that thing. Without that hw, it would just be another Android phone. Most Pre owners understand that the hw is what keeps WebOS a notch or two down from the rest. Faulty keyboards, failing touchscreens, defective pins (stuck pin issue with headset) are all the types of things that give the Pre a bad rep.

Yes, WebOS is better than anything out there but the hw is very poor in quality and seems to have a blind man working in the QA dept.

Palm has already stated that they will unveil a new device this yr. Hopefully, it has really good specs. Put WeBOS on EVO 4G type hw and that phone would rule all.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't love new hardware, with top of the line specs. I also agree that they need to come out with a "Pre 2" which fixes the faulty hardware issues, they do indeed give the Pre a bad rep.

My point, though, is that Palm simply does not have the resources to engage in a battle for the phone with the best specs. Nor do they have to. A majority of cell phone buyers who do not need the fastest processors, the highest screen resolution, etc. They want a phone that has the features they want, is easy/fun to use, and has a relatively low price point. It is this segment of the market that Palm needs to win over. Palm needs to expand its market base to include the average consumer.
    I like the Pre Plus hardware right now. It just needs a better battery. For it being a mobile device and such, I think its powerful enough even with the WebOS updates.
    I have to think that Palm got a new deadline this week. (in fairness, we just found out about it, they probably knew some time ago) Much as I enjoy my Pre, this made me positively drool. watch it in higher def if you can. The screen resolution is impressive.

I don't see how anyone can say the current hardware will be enough when this ships. And most of the installed base will be about 1 year into their contract with Sprint when this ships (That's enough for some (Most?) to qualify for an upgrade price on @ least one line.)

I hope Palm has an answer ready.
    da1Bear

Click to see my Virtual Business card

Palm Pre on Sprint
    I disagree. They didn't step up to to the plate with the Pre in the first place. Build quality was on the cheap and the keyboard stinks. Anyone saying they 'love' the keyboard is just lying and has just 'adjusted' to it over time. The Pixi should've had the same internals as the Pre and the phones should've been marketed equally side by side witj form factor and screen size being the differentiation. Add to that their atrocious marketing and then whining about the droid stealing their thunder.

They need the flagship device the Pre wishes it was. It relies solely on the processor unlike the iphone and needs a faster processor to compensate. It needs better build quality and a much better keyboard.

I just don't see the world clamoring for webOS on the current hardware outside of the forum crowd. And with all the new phones on the horizon with better screens and processors over the Pre's model year and updated Android OS I see webOS getting left behind if their equipment stays status quo. And I like my Pixi and webOS in general.
    I love webOS. It's the reason I got a Pre in the first place. It's also the reason I've put up with having to replace my Pre 4 times (all covered under warranty). With that being said if Palm doesn't step up their game in a significant way by the time the Evo comes out I will switch. The OS can only go so far before hardware makes a difference for me. I've used Android and while I think webOS has the edge in most areas I can adjust to Android. It does most things webOS does just not as fluidly or elegantly. And just look at the specs of the Evo...ridiculous.

Please Palm come through with the hardware.