Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    In order to stay relevant Palm's next handset device MUST have at least a 4.3" screen or larger.

Why you ask?

Anything smaller and Palm releases "just" another smartphone. The market is VERY competitive (as if Palm hasn't noticed) and Palm needs to keep the "buzz" going.

Palm releasing the large screen will negate any momentum the HD2 or Supersonic tries to build.

Since there is no question that webOS has the superior interface, it instantly becomes a good alternative to these flagship handsets.

I for one am looking for a larger screen handset and if palm releases one I'll stay onboard, other wise it looks like I'll be trying android (once my year is up)
    meh.....I'm not enamored with "bigger is better". I'll get an iPad (or similar) if I need a huge screen. My Pre screen is fine. Slightly larger would be good, but only 'slightly'. I need my phone to be easy to carry around with a decent screen size much more than I need a 55" HDTV with a phone built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    meh.....I'm not enamored with "bigger is better". I'll get an iPad (or similar) if I need a huge screen. My Pre screen is fine. Slightly larger would be good, but only 'slightly'. I need my phone to be easy to carry around with a decent screen size much more than I need a 55" HDTV with a phone built in.
    +1

I love the design of the Pre. Vertical Slider for easy one handed use, and screen that is plenty big enough. Bigger screen = bigger phone, and I love the small size of the Pre.

Sure, the build quality could be better, but that doesn't mean the design is bad. I think that the poor build quality, plus lackluster sales, has caused people to question the actual design of the Pre unnecessarily.
    na Between 3.7 and 4 inch is fine.. Bigger doesn't always mean better
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    na Between 3.7 and 4 inch is fine.. Bigger doesn't always mean better
    try telling that to my ex girlfriend
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    NOT bigger, maybe have the screen take up more real estate......Smart phone you can actually carry in jeans without lookin' like a "brick layer on a busman holiday"
    I don't know what the market demands (which really is the most important thing if you want to sell them), but I personally don't want a huge screen. I think the iphone is already stupid big. The Pre screen is already larger than my last two smartphones. Would like a 'bit' larger screen, but not huge.
    It definitely needs a big screen but I wouldn't go over 4,3". Anything between 3,5" and 4,3" will do.
    Yeah, I hope the next Palm phones don't get any bigger. I specifically chose the pre (among other reasons) over the Droid & iPhone because those two are so big. I wanted (& will always want, I believe) a phone that comfortably fits in my pocket.
    Palm has already made it clear that they are looking at a number of form factors. And it would make sense that they would make a bigger phone. It's not to my taste, but considering their market share, they'd be foolish to not try the form factor.
    If anything, screen should just take up more real estate as opposed to just a bigger/thicker phone.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I hated the feel of the iphone in my pocket, I am not that interested in a bigger phone.
    I've played with a 4.3" HD2. the screen looks great, but the phone is soo huge. It's just oddly big when talking on it or carrying it my pocket. I wouldn't mind a bigger screen but 4.3" is going just a bit too far.
    The size of the Pre is what sold me. The iphone has a bigger screen until you load a web page, has bars at top and bottom, or play a youtube video. Check out comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    The size of the Pre is what sold me. The iphone has a bigger screen until you load a web page, has bars at top and bottom, or play a youtube video.
    +1. While I'd like a slighty larger screen (I am pushing 60), I'd hate for the phone to get too much bigger.

Even better than a larger screen would be a more elegant resizing of text blocks, so that when one zooms, it's not necessary to scroll to read the end of a line. Just my 2 cents!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    No thanks, 4.3" is too big for most pockets. Give me a nice 3.7" WVGA and I'll be one happy camper.
    Yes, yes, yes larger screen!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I agree that a larger screen is a must have. I would love to see a 4" screen or even larger. The screen size is holding WebOS back IMO .. and espically on the Pixi. I love the fact that the Pixi is a candy bar style phone, but I could never stand having that small of a screen on a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    There is a sweet spot for mobile devices. The Pre is much too small, the HD2/Supersonic are much too big. The thing needs to be 3.7"-4"
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erckul View Post
    try telling that to my ex girlfriend
    work on your technique.

btw I went HD2 -> Milestone -> Pre, and the Pre is perfectly fine in terms of screensize. Yes, big screen is nice, but adds not that much to usability if you use the device merely for phone, SMS, mail, IM and occassionally browsing.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast