1.    #1  
    Just FYI, a new feature of 'Classic' since 1.4 is a PalmOS app that allows you to record a voice memo, which can be played back using the webOS Pre/Pixi Music App.

It's a start for those that need a voice app NOW.

And if it helps, 'Classic' is on offer currently too.

PS I'm not connect with Motionapps, just a happy users
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Isn't classic like 30 dollars?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    It's half off right now. I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
    It's half off right now. I think.
    33% off, here's the "official" thread for that:

http://forums.precentral.net/officia...-surprise.html
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    931 Global Posts
    the voice memo feature works very well & I use classic to listen to my audible.com books.

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    the voice memo feature works very well & I use classic to listen to my audible.com books.
    I don't see it in Classic. Is it a PalmOS app you have to download?
    What is the name of it?

Thanks!
    Ezrabrooks51
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezrabrooks51 View Post
    I don't see it in Classic. Is it a PalmOS app you have to download?
    What is the name of it?

Thanks!
    Ezrabrooks51
    While running Classic, hit the top left menu and select 'Install Free And Trial Apps'. It's bundled in amongst the other freebies.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Nice find. So, at least someone has access to the mic!

I originally bought Classic to run a few games and eReader, but haven't used it much lately since webOS has equivalent apps. Maybe time to dust it off.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Now all I have to do is wait for support to unlock my classic on my Pre since I bought it back in august about 3 Pre's ago. Damn those support people with their purchase ticket info that I no longer have.
    Great find!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    So I was actually lamenting that I had to go out and buy a stand alone audio recorder this week for an interview I'd like to capture the audio of. It'd be nice if the Pre could perform this for me, but I really worry about the quality and stability of running a voice memo classic app.

I'd like it if someone could answer these questions for me:
    How long can it record for?
    Is the file transferable to a computer? Is it just mp3?
    Has the voice memo app or classic crashed on you since 1.4 was released?
    How would you rate the audio quality when the device is approximately 2 to 3 feet away from the audio source?
    Last edited by mrolesen; 03/21/2010 at 04:59 AM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    You can just use the video recorder now built into 1.4 to record your voice memo. Makes for much larger files than you need but it'll work until a working app comes out.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrolesen View Post
    So I was actually lamenting that I had to go out and buy a stand alone audio recorder this week for an interview I'd like to capture the audio of. It'd be nice if the Pre could perform this for me, but I really worry about the quality and stability of running a voice memo classic app.

I'd like it if someone could answer these questions for me:
    How long can it record for?
    Is the file transferable to a computer? Is it just mp3?
    Has the voice memo app or classic crashed on you since 1.4 was released?
    How would you rate the audio quality when the device is approximately 2 to 3 feet away from the audio source?
    I'd like the answers to these questions as well, if anyone knows.

The issue is, and will be, that it takes far too long to load the Classic PalmOS emulator app, and then, open the voice memo app and then hit record, in order to record a voice memo.

Yes it works, but, it's a "clunky", slow process. ...and in my experience, Classic cannot be left running for any length of time, 3-4 hours) before webOS slows, and needs to be reset, (a 3-5 min ordeal), to function well again. I really need to keep working ;-)

In order for the feature to be truly useful, (Say, while driving.), one needs to access a voice memo recorder, via a "hard", assigned button. (Something tough to do on a device with so few hard buttons, although the original Pre could use the center button, the Pre plus, not so much.)

While it's nice to have this option in Classic, I really hope the folks who made CallRec for PalmOS, will step up, and create a version for webOS, when access to the freakin' mic officially arrives, if ever. aarrrgghhh.

Yeah, I really miss CallRec. ;(

...and a native Audible app, I've given up on. ...and Shazam!, and Vonage. sigh, sometimes i really miss my old trusty Centro.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    In order for the feature to be truly useful, (Say, while driving.), one needs to access a voice memo recorder, via a "hard", assigned button. (Something tough to do on a device with so few hard buttons, although the original Pre could use the center button, the Pre plus, not so much.)
    Actually, all webOS devices essentially have that center button functionality, it's just not something you can feel. I gotta say, I talked my GF into getting a Pixi when her BB Pearl died and every time I touch it I get jealous. I won't get into a Pixi review, but I just wanted to point out that any of these could use that "button" and I don't think it'd be too hard to activate w/o looking at it.

Now to see if we can get someone to answer those questions about the voice memo recorder =p