Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is the thread where my drPodder importer application should be discussed.

I will just let you all know that I'm still working on the application also mentioned in this thread:
    drPodder Media Importer

drPodder thread: drPodder

The application is at the moment in beta state but still have a lot of features, see change log below.

All this is just to import media files (audio/video) to the drPodder application from a computer. The commen use of this application is importing audio books, but can of cause import all kind of webOS supported media files.
    It can also be used to truncate existing rss feed to shorten long feeds (which drPodder/webOS struggles to handle).
    Local files can also be transformed into an rss feed which can be downloaded in drPodder as a normal rss feed.
    Also some drPodder tools like backup/restore is included.

The application is coded in .net and I have tested compatibility with MONO on linux but not mac. I only release the raw files, as I have no tool yet to make an installer.

download site

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Features in progress:
    -handle mutiple .db files on device (can occur when installing drPodder more than one time)
    -detect newest .db file on device
    -configuration backup save/load
    -tray icon with notifications
    -automatic USB detection
    -truncate episodes in db and corresponding media files

RSS FEED SERVER:
    When the Server is running, it will proxy and parse existing web rss feed with the option to truncate item count.
    This will only return the top X feed items from a existing long feed.
    As long as the server is running, this feature will be enabled for all existing rss feed
    It can be done by requesting via HTTP like this:
    http://LOCAL-IP-ADDRESS/?rssurl=EXIS...&top=TOP-COUNT

LOCAL-IP-ADDRESS : is the IP address from the Server Setup Menu
    EXISTING-WEB-RSS-FEED : existing rss feed from the web eg. Engadget
    TOP-COUNT : max number of items to return eg. top=10 will return only the 10 newest items

LOCAL MEDIA RSS FEED:
    1. Then selecting media files, from the [Select Files] menu and write a channel title the [Publish as RSS] button is enabled.
    2. Optional feed icon can be selected also.
    3. When the [Publish as RSS] button is clicked, there is a URL generated in the [Feed destination] text box.
    4. This text can be used in drPodder (or other RSS Reader) to get the feed.
    5. Manual type the url from [Feed destination] into drPodder and skip to 11, or progress to next for easy URL import via USB.
    6. For easy access connect the webOS device via USB as a Drive and click the [Search Drive] button.
    7. Now click the [Write drpodder.xml] button to write the import file to drPodder.
    8. Safly remove the USB Device and start drPodder.
    9. Open the Context menu (top-left) and click [OPML]->[Import from drpodder.xml]
    10. Now the feed should be added at the bottom of the feed list.
    11. Download items/episodes (now drPodder/webOS can delete the pysical files from the device like normal feed)
    12. Shutting the server down will disable any further download of rss feeds and items/episodes (selecting the same media files and channel title will generate the same url if needed)

BACKUP:
    Plug in the device via USB at select USB mode on device
    Backup the database file from the device to the PC via the menu [device]
    This will search the device and find the database file and ask for a place to back it up.
    After this you should be 'safe' to webOS doctor the device or any other task that wipe out the application database for drPodder

RESTORE:
    Plug in the device via USB at select USB mode on device
    Restore the database file from the PC (BACKUP 3.) to the device via the menu [device]
    Select the backed-up database file from the PC
    This can flag all the episodes in the database as NOT downloaded (you should download from drPodder on the device). You can also let all the download flag be, and restore the database un-altered, this is normally done when the media files are at the same state when backed up.
    It will take a backup of the existing database file on the device (,same directory as the original database file,) and name it *.db.bak
    Now it copy and overwrite the database file used by drPodder
    SAFELY un-plug the USB device and startup drPodder

Change log:

0.3.1.0 (Beta)
    -Fix database with Not existing album art on device
    -Detect album art files on restore and clear in db if not existing (eg. restore on full erased USB partition)
    -Clear downloaded flag if media files (episodes) are missing on device
    -Clear downloaded and new flag if media files (episodes) are missing on device. Can be used if the restore (from eg. wobOS Internals Save/Restore
    -Downloading files flaged as downloaded but does not exist on device if drPodder is capable of deleting (does not work if the download tickets in downloadhistory.db in webOS are erased eg. data erease, firmware flash I think).

0.3.0.0 (Beta)
    -Run a RSS feed server with IP/Port listen
    -Truncate existing web RSS feeds through local server
    -Proxy local media files into local rss feed server
    -Write local feed url to drpodder.xml for easy import
    -Configuration persistence, even on application update (user specific)
    -Configuration options:
    *Minimize On Start
    *Run Server On Start
    *Search Device On Start
    *IP Address Listen
    *Port Listen
    *Minimize To Tray
    *Server Shut Down Warning
    *Allways Show Tray Icon
    -Tray icon context menu (rigth-click) options
    -Better Error handling
    -Bug fix: sortOrder by pubDate element should now work correct (manual sort handling comming in later version)
    -Bug fix: clear USB Drive when no derive found

0.2.0.1 (Beta)
    -Loading m3u playlist files, supports url and local files within the format (only absolute and not relative paths as \directory\file)
    -Donation button
    -Email link in About Box
    -Choose episode downloaded flag on restore (all/non)
    -Detect drive on palm directory basis not drPodder directory (drPodder directory does not exist if no feeds are ever updated)
    -Create drPodder directory if not created when processing media files
    -Better MONO support
    -Version in application title
    -Bug: disable context menu (remove) when in progress

-Remove files from tree via context menu (right click)
    -Restore database will search for media files in drPodder directory and ask for deletion because all episodes will be flaged as NOT downloaded and drPodder will try to download
    -MONO Ready (should run with MONO on Linux and Mac)
    -Links in About Box

-Trimming leading and trailing spaces from channel/directory name
    -Prevent closing when processing
    -Backup drPodder database file from device
    -Restore drPodder database from backed-up file (set all downloaded flags to [false]). Existing device database will be renamed to ‘*.db.bak’ before a restore

-Automatic searching for valid webOS device on application start
    -Automatic searching for valid webOS device on [Search Drive] button
    -Include [Title] tag from media file in episode name if any
    -Include media file meta tags in episode details if any
    -Double click on a file in the tree to use the [album] tag as directory name if any
    -Automatic writing of drpodder.xml after succeded process
    -Ask to overwrite drpodder.xml

-Installer and text trimed to ready an alpha release

"-Installer added
    -Icons added
    -Trimed layout
    -Copy progress indication
    -Open destination button added
    -Image and file name added to episode details
    -Directory validation
    -Tool tip helping text added

-Does not need an image to process files

-Select individual media files in a directory
    -Select all files in a directory
    -Select channel image (no resizing)
    -Select custom channel title/directory name
    -Option to hide directory from webOS media applications (eg. Music/Video)
    -Copy media files to selected directory on webOS device
    -Generate a drpodder.xml file to webOS device, which easy can be imported in the drPodder application
    -The About Box

Old screen shots, new ones on the way

Last edited by runebune; 04/27/2010 at 01:52 PM.
  2. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runebune View Post
    Just to let you all know. I'm working on extending the drPodder Media Importer application with some features to run a local rss-server and by that import/download media files (audio books, podcasts (video/audio) etc.) via local WiFi to the webOS drPodder app. This could also be accessed from the outside of the LAN/WiFi if forwarding a port in like any other normal server network setup.
    This will also introduce the truncation of podcast-items to help drPodder/webOS on the processing side of large feeds. With this feature drPodder will be able to delete the downloaded media files, which was not possible with the current USB-transfer of media files in drPodder Media Importer.

Let me know if this is a feature you would like?
    Yes, absolutely! Just to get it straight, you're talking about essentially creating my own PodCast on my PC - putting whatever files I want in there - and then having DrPodder load them like a standard podcast?

If that's so, then it would be awesome.
  3. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Hey, I just tried this app for the first time. Can you explain what this feature does, exactly?

"Automatic writing of drpodder.xml after succeded process"

Thanks!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Yes, absolutely! Just to get it straight, you're talking about essentially creating my own PodCast on my PC - putting whatever files I want in there - and then having DrPodder load them like a standard podcast?

If that's so, then it would be awesome.
    yes this is it in a nutshell. Also adding truncation of existing podcasts feeds, this would help drPodder to only handle small amounts of rss items.
  5.    #5  
    Hey, I just tried this app for the first time. Can you explain what this feature does, exactly?

"Automatic writing of drpodder.xml after succeded process"

Thanks!
    yes I will. DrPodder can import feeds via a xml file called drpodder.xml from the root of the usb-path of the webOS device. This file will be generated and written to the correct path by drPodder Media Importer. In drPodder in the context menu (top left) you can import this file which should import the just transferred media files. There can only be one drpodder.xml file on the device at a time.
  6. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runebune View Post
    yes I will. DrPodder can import feeds via a xml file called drpodder.xml from the root of the usb-path of the webOS device. This file will be generated and written to the correct path by drPodder Media Importer. In drPodder in the context menu (top left) you can import this file which should import the just transferred media files. There can only be one drpodder.xml file on the device at a time.
    Awesome, thanks for the explanation.

And as a followup, the application worked flawlessly to import a folder for me. I will be playing around some more with it to add some additional feeds and if I find any bugs or can suggest any improvements, I will post them here.

Thanks again for this app... it's a terrific supplement to drPodder.
    Great. I had done the manual routine of importing an audio book and it was a pain. Thanks for working on this.
  8.    #8  
    Awesome, thanks for the explanation.

And as a followup, the application worked flawlessly to import a folder for me. I will be playing around some more with it to add some additional feeds and if I find any bugs or can suggest any improvements, I will post them here.

Thanks again for this app... it's a terrific supplement to drPodder.
    Nice to hear!

I will appreciate any feed back, good or bad
    It did not work quite right for me. Th eimport seemed to go fine. When I went into drPodder I imported from drpodder.xml using the option under OPML. The imported information all shows up as a new feed with the book chapters as individal podcasts, but I can't play the tracks. It shows all of them as needing to be downloaded. I tried clicking on the download arrow and it chages to an X as if it is downloading, but after a minute it goes back to the download arrow and I still can't listen to the book.

Did I miss a step?

Thanks,

Gerry
    hi there... this is a windows only program right? or do you have a mac program available too?

thanks
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrymad View Post
    It did not work quite right for me. Th eimport seemed to go fine. When I went into drPodder I imported from drpodder.xml using the option under OPML. The imported information all shows up as a new feed with the book chapters as individal podcasts, but I can't play the tracks. It shows all of them as needing to be downloaded. I tried clicking on the download arrow and it chages to an X as if it is downloading, but after a minute it goes back to the download arrow and I still can't listen to the book.

Did I miss a step?

Thanks,

Gerry
    You cannot download them as they already is on the device. drPodder will only play them (I cannot control that). Deleting the file will not delete the physical file, be cause webOS don't allow random file manipulation with files the app has not downloaded it self. Deleting files imported this way, must be done via USB.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    hi there... this is a windows only program right? or do you have a mac program available too?

thanks
    well I have tested with MONO on Linux so Mac should be safe too, but have not tested. I only support with the raw exe and dll files and no installer, only for windows. This info is also at the top post here (change log 0.1.6)
    The files are definitely on the device, but drPodder won't play them. It shows them as needing to be downloaded. It doesn't allow me to play them. Any ideas how to get drPodder to play them?

Thanks,

Gerry
  14.    #14  
    The files are definitely on the device, but drPodder won't play them. It shows them as needing to be downloaded. It doesn't allow me to play them. Any ideas how to get drPodder to play them?

Thanks,

Gerry
    You don't need to download them, only stream then. What kind of format are the media files in? Does the filenames contain special characters like '"%?|´ or so? You just need to play them. What does drPodder do when you try to play them? What version of drPodder are you using?
    OK. User error.

When I was seeing the green down arrow at the right hand side of the screen I was hitting that. For some reason I just was drawn to the arrow and I could not resist pushing the arrow. If I simply press anyplace else on the track it begins to play just like it should.

I'm not a novice. I've installed patches on my phone manually by editing the files and done all sorts of other development work, but for some reason my brain just got stuck on this super-simple procedure. Next time I have somebody ask me a silly tech question I will remember that this time it was my turn to look silly.

Thanks for a great app.
  16.    #16  
    OK. User error.

When I was seeing the green down arrow at the right hand side of the screen I was hitting that. For some reason I just was drawn to the arrow and I could not resist pushing the arrow. If I simply press anyplace else on the track it begins to play just like it should.

I'm not a novice. I've installed patches on my phone manually by editing the files and done all sorts of other development work, but for some reason my brain just got stuck on this super-simple procedure. Next time I have somebody ask me a silly tech question I will remember that this time it was my turn to look silly.

Thanks for a great app.
    No problem, it could happen to anybody
    I was wondering if there is a trick to getting the files to list in order on drPodder. I have a book with file names 01.mp3 through 72.mp3. I run the application. The first couple oif times I tried the order in drPodder was mixed, but 55.mp3 was always first. The most recent time 8.mp3 is first, then the list goes from 71.mp3 down to 01.mp3. 72.mp3 actually appears between 9.mp3 and 7.mp3. When I browse the files on the Pre the time stamps increase from 01.mp3 to 72.mp3. The feed.xml file also shows the correct order. Any ideas as to what I can do to make the order come up correctly?

Thanks,

Gerry
  18.    #18  
    I was wondering if there is a trick to getting the files to list in order on drPodder. I have a book with file names 01.mp3 through 72.mp3. I run the application. The first couple oif times I tried the order in drPodder was mixed, but 55.mp3 was always first. The most recent time 8.mp3 is first, then the list goes from 71.mp3 down to 01.mp3. 72.mp3 actually appears between 9.mp3 and 7.mp3. When I browse the files on the Pre the time stamps increase from 01.mp3 to 72.mp3. The feed.xml file also shows the correct order. Any ideas as to what I can do to make the order come up correctly?

Thanks,

Gerry
    If there is a tag (ID3 tag song name) it is used to as a GUID which sort the files, if there is not a tag, then the filename is used.

Remember that leading zeros should occur as 001 as 6 is more than 57 if sorted.
  19. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    So, let me throw this out there. While I know it's not directly related to importing media files on your PC to the Pre for use in drPodder, I was wondering if you would consider adding the ability to load a streaming audio playlist (i.e. .m3u file) and create a drPodder-capable "feed" file?

For example, over at the Internet Audio Archive there are literally hundreds of thousands of digital recordings - from Grateful Dead live shows to wax-cylinder recordings from the 1800s to FDRs fireside chats.

Anyway, just about everything there is stream-able and a .m3u link is provided. It would be awesome to be able to add this .m3u file in drPodder and have it be treated as essentially a "podcast", with each file in the stream as an episode.

I can't seem to get the Music player to handle .m3u files very well (plays the first file in the playlist and stop) and drPodder seemed like a nice alternative. And it seems like converting the playlist.m3u file into a podcast.xml would be rather simple.
  20.    #20  
    So, let me throw this out there. While I know it's not directly related to importing media files on your PC to the Pre for use in drPodder, I was wondering if you would consider adding the ability to load a streaming audio playlist (i.e. .m3u file) and create a drPodder-capable "feed" file?

For example, over at the Internet Audio Archive there are literally hundreds of thousands of digital recordings - from Grateful Dead live shows to wax-cylinder recordings from the 1800s to FDRs fireside chats.

Anyway, just about everything there is stream-able and a .m3u link is provided. It would be awesome to be able to add this .m3u file in drPodder and have it be treated as essentially a "podcast", with each file in the stream as an episode.

I can't seem to get the Music player to handle .m3u files very well (plays the first file in the playlist and stop) and drPodder seemed like a nice alternative. And it seems like converting the playlist.m3u file into a podcast.xml would be rather simple.
    Yeah that would be pretty easy.
    I will add it to the wish list
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast