1.    #1  
    Worth noting: "Shipments limited to U.S. and Canadian addresses only"

Overall, a very sweet opportunity for new American/Canadian developers to come to webOS.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Damn. US and Canada only? Too slow. A buddy of mine went to a dev meet in Singapore and left with a free (yes, free) Google NexusOne
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Yea! For you awsome developers!
    Anyone know whether the GSM (Pre Plus/Pixi Plus) are unlocked so could be used on other networks?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
    Anyone know whether the GSM (Pre Plus/Pixi Plus) are unlocked so could be used on other networks?
    There is no gsm pre plus/pixi plus. As of currently, there's only a GSM Pre.

And while they're off contract, I am honestly curious if they're carrier dependent.

Either way, this move will me more each access to devices for developers, at a developer discount of 20%, which is definitely nice. Good on ya Palm!

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    There is no gsm pre plus/pixi plus. As of currently, there's only a GSM Pre.

And while they're off contract, I am honestly curious if they're carrier dependent.
    Ah thanks Jason. For some reason I thought the Plus models were GSM but I was mistaken.

Still, the question remains, I would presume they are carrier independent - a bit like the android dev phones?
    Considering that it shows a list of each carrier to choose from, when you pick the phone, I'd say they're still tied to whatever carrier.

If you add the Pre Plus (Verizon) to your cart, for example, and then click on the Pre Plus for a description of it, it tells you "Please note, this phone is provided without an activated service plan. You must contact your wireless carrier to use it with your current contract."

So, it sounds like they're selling them without a contract but still tied to the carrier to me.
    this makes me wonder/hope the AT&T gsm pre plus/pixi plus will eventually arrive on the developer program.

Strangely, I noticed the Bell devices were absent from the developer program. I wonder if that means the carriers are able to opt-out of having their devices in the developer program

Okay so I added all of the devices for each carrier to my cart, and then tried looking at the descriptions.

The Pre on Sprint, Pre Plus on Verizon, Pixi on Sprint, and Pixi Plus on Verizon were the only ones with description pages; the rest redirected to the main Palm site.

All four of those mentioned that line I quoted above about being sold without a plan.

But since none of the GSM networks' versions have a description up, I guess there's still hope yet.
    How do they know if your a developer? Can't you just pretend to be one?

(not asking for me, I already have a bell one, just wondering)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    How do they know if your a developer? Can't you just pretend to be one?

(not asking for me, I already have a bell one, just wondering)
    I would guess just getting you to sign in to your palm developer account or something

I find it odd that you can pick carriers in Europe but they won't ship to Europe. Not that it affects me, I'm in the US. Do they require any sort of verification that you are a developer? Can't anyone sign up to be a developer on their website, then buy one of these phones?

In general I think that Palm need to do a better job of doing everything simultaneously around the globe if they want to survive. There is a huge international market that they can sell to, and as we all know they need the revenue. They could also use the revenue from international paid apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmulloy View Post
    I find it odd that you can pick carriers in Europe but they won't ship to Europe. Not that it affects me, I'm in the US. Do they require any sort of verification that you are a developer? Can't anyone sign up to be a developer on their website, then buy one of these phones?

In general I think that Palm need to do a better job of doing everything simultaneously around the globe if they want to survive. There is a huge international market that they can sell to, and as we all know they need the revenue. They could also use the revenue from international paid apps.
    I think they assume if you're not a developer, you're probably more likely to go for the even cheaper still subsidized cost of the phone, so it doesn't matter that much.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    But can we Doctor them to our carriers OS? Such as can I doctor the Pre Plus to Sprint?
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think they assume if you're not a developer, you're probably more likely to go for the even cheaper still subsidized cost of the phone, so it doesn't matter that much.
    good point..
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    But can we Doctor them to our carriers OS? Such as can I doctor the Pre Plus to Sprint?
    Doctor it all you want, but it is HIGHLY doubtful Sprint will activate it because the ESN isn't on their 'Activate List.'
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Doctor it all you want, but it is HIGHLY doubtful Sprint will activate it because the ESN isn't on their 'Activate List.'
    If I'm already locked into a contract with Sprint and they have already subsidized my device, I don't see why they'd care which Pre I use. The single thing I can see them objecting to is Verizon's tethering app, which should be removed if the device was properly doctored. They certainly may choose to be jerks, but there is no reason for it.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    This has been tossed around, but nobody has even tried it. The biggest issue is having the Sprint Doctor even recognize certain parts and the lack of a button. Then the huge issue is getting it activated on Sprint as they won't have the ESDN or w/e it is in the system.
    Sprint and Verizon only activate an ESN if it's in their list. Call it unreasonable if you want, that's not going to change it.

Now, maybe you could use illicit means to change your Pre Plus ESN to that of your Pre, but I'm sure there's other complications to that as well.