Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have recently noticed that Google Maps takes a serious amount of time to load up on my Pre even when I have full signal or even if I'm at home using mi WiFi...
    Am I the only one having this issue??
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    yes I noticed this after 1.4 but I'm not going to worry too much. Palm will probably fix in another update. It works once it loads.
    I'm still using 1.3.5.1 and it takes an enormous amount of time to load.
    Yes, since 1.4 it seems even slower. It takes 15+ seconds for the map to show for me on wifi.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I can confirm, it's slow as sin on 1.4, upwards of 20sec. Everything else is fine
    it depends on your internet speed, since it's not saved locally.. also mine is pretty fast on wifi, and the new 800mhz patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mochzr View Post
    I can confirm, it's slow as sin on 1.4, upwards of 20sec. Everything else is fine
    I would be glad, if it only took 20 sec. My pre needs about 130 to 200 sec to start google maps - for me this is unsuable...
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    w/ a strong wifi - 16 secs and that seems to be the average for me. even w/ full bars. ... way too slow!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Etosch View Post
    I would be glad, if it only took 20 sec. My pre needs about 130 to 200 sec to start google maps - for me this is unsuable...
    Dude, that is way too long. Mine takes 10 seconds (720 kernel, sprint, wifi) with a mediocre wifi connection. Even with EVDO it takes less than 10 seconds.

All of google maps for WebOS resides on the google servers and is one of the reasons for the long load time. However, anything over 30 seconds is indicative of another problem. Patches, applications, crap running in the background. Restart your phone fresh and try. This should be your baseline.

Edit : PS, it helps to know which phone and which network. VZW did something to the GPS and is a known problem for speed on google maps.
    Dan
    same here been extremely slow since 1.4. i now have the 800mhz patch and that helps some but not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Edit : PS, it helps to know which phone and which network. VZW did something to the GPS and is a known problem for speed on google maps.
    GSM Pre on alternative Provider - not o2 Germany - simyo (e-plus) WebOS 1.4.0 no patches, homebrew apps - only some apps from official catalog

3G full signal strength: 130 to 200 sec

WiFi full signal strength, conncted to VDSL (50mbit): 180 to 200sec

As i'm also getting "to many cards"error sometimes (2 to 3 times a week) when starting the first app.

I think i'll send it in for repairs - something can't be right...
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Have you tried to WebOS Doctor it? That might be worth trying before sending it in for repair. Takes 15 min. Make sure you back up your user files off the USB partition and complete a backup first. Might also try a full reset then a doctor. This equals a clean Pre.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    if available, use ypmobile with bing maps. It's a locally stored app so it loads much much faster than google.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Have you tried to WebOS Doctor it?
    More than once - without and with a prior full reset.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    yes it is the slowest piece of garbage I have on my phone but yet its the only map app so im forced to want to throw my pre out of the window everytime I need to know where something is at.

or just use ypmobile

I retract the last statement about yp mobile, I can't even figure out if you can look at the map with your directions on it. That's about useless if you can't.
    Last edited by jwinn35; 03/26/2010 at 09:59 AM.
    The way the implemented Google maps on our phones is ridiculous. There is no excuse for opening up a blank card and not giving any indication of what it is waiting on. That got much worse with the splash card Palm implemented with 1.4. Fortunately for me, the wait isn't nearly as long as what you are describing. I haven't investigated too much, but I would imagine it is waiting on a GPS fix to send to the server so it can initialize the map to your location. I think it's time to snoop at what client-side code there actually is...
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    yes it is the slowest piece of garbage I have on my phone but yet its the only map app so im forced to want to throw my pre out of the window everytime I need to know where something is at.

or just use ypmobile

I retract the last statement about yp mobile, I can't even figure out if you can look at the map with your directions on it. That's about useless if you can't.
    Your other option is use Sprint Nav.

I did a pro/con of ypmobile I posted on the blog side.

did a quick compare vs google maps.

ypmobile +
    loads much faster
    does not refresh when you don't want it
    saves history
    easy add to contacts and calendar
    save favs
    quick links for popular searches

ypmobile -
    no map mode with directions (att version has navigate to in the video that opens telenav apparently)
    no satellite view
    no traffic
    no walking or public transit
    can't search residential
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    loading very slow.... Very annoying when I want to look something up! I end up just typing in and using google search to find something.
    This has always been the case for me, but not just with the WebOS. The service is powerful and since this version also has a Satellite-View, Traffic and GPS; then it's going to take longer to load. For me the Lag isn't an issue, because the service works really well and it's free. So I can deal with any issues that may come up.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I love the Pre but to be honest everything is slow to load

Quote Originally Posted by Njtroncoso View Post
    I have recently noticed that Google Maps takes a serious amount of time to load up on my Pre even when I have full signal or even if I'm at home using mi WiFi...
    Am I the only one having this issue??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast