1.    #1  
    this question comes up a lot for other phones, but i couldn't find anything for the palm.

is there an app that can block or filter websites?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wongm2 View Post
    this question comes up a lot for other phones, but i couldn't find anything for the palm.

is there an app that can block or filter websites?

thanks
    Just use an adblocking /etc/hosts file. This will require you unlock developer mode on the phone and run a couple of simple linux commands.

I walk through a sample script to update the list automatically every time you connect to wifi at home here.

If you don't feel comfortable with the command shell, there is a tweak, I believe, that can be installed from WOSQI.
  3.    #3  
    ah wasnt sure if webos had something similar to the windows with a hosts file. thatll probably do the trick!

sorry on further reading, it sounds like this is for when youre connected to your wifi network. what about through 3g?
    Quote Originally Posted by wongm2 View Post
    ah wasnt sure if webos had something similar to the windows with a hosts file. thatll probably do the trick!

sorry on further reading, it sounds like this is for when youre connected to your wifi network. what about through 3g?
    It's always used.

The script just downloads whatever the current published hosts file is. You don't really need to do that, but I like keeping things up to date to catch whatever nefarious crap is currently on the intarwebs. I wrote the script to only do this when on my own network, since that is the only one I have control over. Other wifi networks may require you to sign into a portal first, yadda yadda, and I don't have any error handling yet, so this was just easier.

You can just put in your own hosts file once and not bother with ever updating, if you like. Notice, however, if you use the one that I am using, you need to de-windowsify it. That's what the tr line in the script does.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 03/12/2010 at 12:46 PM.