Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    All these threads including mine about how sales reps are bashing palm and its OS has me being pessimistic. I want to get this phone, but I don't want it to become neglected. I enjoyed the OS from messing with it at the store. Blackberry's interface is cumbersome and Android feels odd.. I wish the palm would get more support in terms of apps, updates etc etc...

Does the future look gloomy??? I've also been reading articles of Palm seriously suffering financially.
    Palm isn't suffering financially, they're stock prices are low but I read somewhere not even a week ago they were still operating with roughly 500m. I'm not an analyst or stock broker but I think there future is brighter than we're giving them credit. They've got enough cash to keep coming along with bright things on the horizon. The PDK, Unreal Engine 3.0, Flash, and the possibility of another handset all comes to mind. I wouldn't count them out just yet, especially since even if they do fold you'll probably have moved on to another phone by the time that's coming to pass. I wish they had more app support but name another company who's pushed out as many OS updates in the last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by benly52 View Post
    I wish the palm would get more support in terms of apps, updates etc etc...
    It actually gets quite a lot of updates, on par with the iPhone OS, and way more than Android. (Sure you read about all these new Android versions and features, but how many of those actually get past the carriers and into the hands of customers with old hardware? Yeah, not many.)

And while the app count is only just approaching 2000, that's a lot given the age of WebOS. 1000 in the first 6 months, another 1000 in the next 2 and a half? That's a nice curve to be surfing, especially with the release now of the PDK and the slew of real games and productivity apps it enables. We'll easily see 5000 by summer, and well over double that by next Christmas.

Sure I can grumble a bit because I'm on Bell and they're a week or two behind releasing updates and we don't have paid apps yet here in Canada. But the updates have come out (ask a Rogers customer up here how much they still like their HTC Dream (G1) running Android 1.5) and the paid apps are coming...

I have no doubts about the future of WebOS. Come on in, the water's fine!
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    I have to disagree with previous posters, and probably the majority of users on this forum, but I am shaky about webOS's future. The big bang we were expecting just didn't happen, and the numbers show it. Were the numbers what they expected, I am not sure. But webOS barely threw a jab at the iphone/droid opponents. Would I be surprised to see webOS die? No. I would be surprised to see it last a year or two more.

2 cents.
    I don't know what the future holds for Palm. All I can say is I'd rather use webOS now than count on the Apple OS or Android getting it right in the future. Currently webOS is the best mobile platform anywhere and I'll be using it as long as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    All I can say is I'd rather use webOS now than count on the Apple OS or Android getting it right in the future.
    Yep, why sit around wringing your hands when you can be having fun?
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by oespinoza83 View Post
    I have to disagree with previous posters, and probably the majority of users on this forum, but I am shaky about webOS's future. The big bang we were expecting just didn't happen, and the numbers show it. Were the numbers what they expected, I am not sure. But webOS barely threw a jab at the iphone/droid opponents. Would I be surprised to see webOS die? No. I would be surprised to see it last a year or two more.

2 cents.
    you're right, it didn't happen but you can't say that Palm isn't moving forward because they are. WebOS is a few years behind Android and especially iphone but there is cracks starting in the android facade (no parity between oem's and what not) iphone is still strong but being literally the only phone that can compare to the iphone in gaming will help. Looks to me like Palm is plugging their ears of all the negativity and sticking to their gameplan which is exactly what they need to do. Market share has been lost by Palm but even engadget says it's more likely people moving away from PalmOS. I know it's been said before (probably too much) but give them time. Android wasn't a game changer on the G1, how can we expect Palm to be with their new OS on a first gen phone. IMHO of course.
    What killed WebOS, was the initial release on the Sprint network. Both Sprint, and Palm killed the OS with their weak advertising. It they had chosen Big Red for their launch, the numbers/future would of been different.

I see a very shaky future for them.

Just my 2 centabos...

They may be years behind the market share of Android, but you could argue that Android is behind WebOS in software now. You cannot get the 3D gaming on the Android that the Pre has.

Fragmentation will continue to hurt Android. It is nearly impossible to make cutting edge games without targeting a certain class of handset. Do you do Android 1.6, 2.0, or 2.1? What processor power? Memory? It is a gambit of devices.

WebOS is like Android was a year ago. The difference is that it is par with Android of TODAY on most fronts. It wins against Android for the "fat middle" of consumers in usability.

I've tried all the platforms out there, and none frustrate me less in usability, power, open development, open platform, than WebOS. Palm is filled with passionate people about this platform that continue to kick ***, day after day.

It is hard to believe where WebOS has come from June. We get a nice bump in functionality every 3 months or so and a small bump every 6 weeks. NO OTHER handset software is moving as fast as this. I'm enjoying the ride.

Myself and many other developers will be on this platform for two main reasons:

1 - Openness

2 - How Palm treats their developers and the community as a whole.

(Hint: it is EXACTLY the opposite of Apple.)
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    What killed WebOS, was the initial release on the Sprint network. Both Sprint, and Palm killed the OS with their weak advertising. It they had chosen Big Red for their launch, the numbers/future would of been different.

I see a very shaky future for them.

Just my 2 centabos...
    I disagree, and here's why. Like my example of the G1 above you need a small (relatively) small carrier to do your public beta testing with, which is essentially what it was. Sprint advertised the hell out of the Pre, it was Palm themselves that failed with advertising. Given some of the issues the Pre has I don't think a launch on Verizon would've helped, it probably would've done the exact opposite. The droid and their intense advertising campaign has been a disservice to the Pre/Pixi but it's coming to AT&T and the rumors are TMob as well which will help with getting it into consumers hands. The paid app catalog is getting ready to go live world wide at the end of this month and that will certainly help. It's hard to sell an app-centric smartphone with no good apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    I disagree, and here's why. Like my example of the G1 above you need a small (relatively) small carrier to do your public beta testing with, which is essentially what it was. Sprint advertised the hell out of the Pre, it was Palm themselves that failed with advertising. Given some of the issues the Pre has I don't think a launch on Verizon would've helped, it probably would've done the exact opposite. The droid and their intense advertising campaign has been a disservice to the Pre/Pixi but it's coming to AT&T and the rumors are TMob as well which will help with getting it into consumers hands. The paid app catalog is getting ready to go live world wide at the end of this month and that will certainly help. It's hard to sell an app-centric smartphone with no good apps.
    Here is the problem with Palm chosen Sprint.

1. Sprint's advertising is wake, and everyone knows it. Their Pre ad's, did not show the Pre's true potential. It showed the phone doing multi tasking which my Centro at the time did very well. Or the fb ad which was a waste of money.

2. Palm chose Sprint to launch their Pre, (in test mode as most call it) Sprint the carrier that was losing up too a million customers a every qtr.

3. Verizon dropped a $100 million dad campaign behind the Droid, just image such campaign behind the WebOS devices.

Just my 2 centabos...

I would've have loved a $100m ad campaign as I'm sure Palm would have but it wasn't and isn't financially possible. Verizon and Motorola had an exclusive deal for the Droid long before it actually hit , it was always intended to be the flagship device. In fact Verizon and Motorola split the tab on the advertising. If the Pre and Pixi would have launched on Verizon it would've wound up with Palm in the same boat, playing second fiddle to the Droid. Again, all IMHO.
    If the rumored 4G Palm device are true, I truly hope they hire a different ad agency

I currently have the Hero, but I still miss my Pre. It did so many things better then my Hero, but damn that battery life on the Pre

The wife wants the Pre, and most likely I will get the Pre sooner or later. Once you go WebOS and leave, you will come back

My fingers are crossed for the company...

Funny, I had a Hero for a day before I deactivated it and went back to my Pre. I played with it for two more weeks before taking it back and I never did enjoy it this was prior to 1.3.5 mind you. To each their own I suppose.
    The future of WebOS looks great so long as Palm does something about the hardware. The OS is awesome. It's the HW and the marketing that hold back this device. The quality of the hw has been a huge issue since launch day.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Even if Palm disappeared over night, there is a rabid and loyal base to continue development. Personally, I think Palm has a bright future, and that loyal base is one reason Palm will prosper.

In terms of being afraid to by a WebOS phone, think of it this way... you will not be sorry for the duration of your wireless contract. The Pre and WebOS are still viable and best-in-class at the moment. Even if the world of Palm stopped today, it would take time for others to match the stuff we like about our Palm phones. Heck, I was using the last generation Palm phone for a looong time after it was obsolete - waiting patiently for Verizon to launch a WebOS phone. I didn't feel like I was giving up much on my old Centro - it did stuff that the iPhone still can't do... Including last a week on a single charge...

Seriously, you will love the Palm and it will serve you well. By the time your contract is up, you will have access to cool LTE networks. Even if Palm isn't around, you know you will want to upgrade by then. Personally, I think Palm will produce more good stuff, and WebOS will be a leader for many years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I don't know what the future holds for Palm. All I can say is I'd rather use webOS now than count on the Apple OS or Android getting it right in the future. Currently webOS is the best mobile platform anywhere and I'll be using it as long as I can.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    If the rumored 4G Palm device are true, I truly hope they hire a different ad agency

I currently have the Hero, but I still miss my Pre. It did so many things better then my Hero, but damn that battery life on the Pre

The wife wants the Pre, and most likely I will get the Pre sooner or later. Once you go WebOS and leave, you will come back

My fingers are crossed for the company...
    Just get an extended life battery and go back to your Pre. It isnt any bigger than the Centro with that battery attached, and I think it makes the Pre keyboard easier to use. I have the Siedio 2600mAh battery, and that gives me several days under normal use, and more than 24 hours if I am playing CardAce a lot (wow that game sucks down the battery...)

if you want a great article on what Palm did wrong in launching and advertising, here is an excellent read. It's actually about Apple, but they contrast Apple (and Google) with Palm to make their point...

Do Palm's Struggles Forecast Apple's Post Jobs Decline? — Datamation.com

I hope someone from Palm marketing reads this, especially the part about positioning against the iPhone weaknesses - and the part about how they alienated the press...

I don't think any phone (and former PDA) maker has the loyal following and technical excellence that Palm enjoys. They have the opportunity to trump everyone if they will just listen to the critics and adjust their strategy...

This isn't a phone just for soccer moms, people. The majority of Palm users (even with PalmOS) have always been techno-geeks and power users...