Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Does anyone know FOR CERTAIN if the new PDK allows all apps to be ported over from iphone OS, or is it just games?

I know there is speculation both way, wondering if anyone can tell now that the pdk is out in the wild.
    It is definitely not just for games - it absolutely supports 'normal apps' too. But I cannot state categorically whether or not every iPhone app is portable via the PDK.
    I'll go out on a limb and guarantee it will not allow *all* apps to be ported. Particularly since there is still no mic access.
    Any code can be ported to the Pre, but there is hardware that the Pre lacks, such as a digital compass, and some hardware that cannot (yet) be accessed through the PDK, like the microphone. But there are no technical limitations beyond that.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Nothing that uses Cocoa (iPhone UI stuff) can be ported like NFS and the other games out now.

Don't quote me on that one, but I am 99.9% sure
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    The apps would have to be rewritten partially (at least) to replace ALL Cocoa stuff with a custom UI (with WebOS look and feel). You would need to remove any iPhone OS API calls and replace it ALL with WebOS API calls (mainly non-existent), as well as implement Gesture Area functions manually (what the WebOS JSJSJS $framework$ $handles$ $on$ $its$ $own$ $unless$ $you$ $need$ $custom$ $functionality$).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    iphone GUI apps can not be ported without redoing the gui in mojo.
    I'm searching for related threads, and this is the best I could find. Does anyone have a sense of how hard it would be to port apps from the iPhone to the Pre? I have several friends who have released apps for the iPhone, and I bet most would let me port them to the Pre (with attribution and a cut of the profits, of course) but I have no sense of how hard that would be, or whether it's feasible.

Any comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I read that, but it's pretty old. Hasn't Palm released more tools since then or something? Anyhow, I guess I will have to contact friends and ask what sort of interface code they used.

Hmmm, HTML and javascript. Might be a good project for my son's computer science class. Maybe I can talk him into doing some of it.

I'm mostly looking at "puzzles", which are probably "games" for purposes of this thread.