Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21  
    The specs on the computer for the time is was made seem very good. It was ahead of it's time when it came out.
    Have you had this computer more than 3 years? Have there been ANY other issues lately with computer booting, software or warnings on the screen? Is the hard drive almost full? If you can say yes to any one of these, it might be time for a new drive. Once you get it back up and running, back up everything that is important. Then go to "start", "run" and type chkdsk.exe. This will check the disk for errors. If it finds any it should clear it up. If there are many then you might want to get a new harddrive. It may be on it's last legs.

    We are all giving you good advice. Yet, after reading your post is concerns me that you are working in unsure areas. If this is the case don't push it to far. Hard drives and windows booting software are fickle. When that little guy in your head says "um..am I sure I want to do that" STOP. Pay the fee and have a Pro work on it. Whats the cost you asked? Like was said before shop around. But go to a Computer store. A big box may be able to help you but a computer ONLY store will be safer and money better spent.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  2. reconboy's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #22  
    One last note here , and this is just by choice but if you do or do not get the issue fixed on your own.. I HIGHLY suggest getting an external drive to save anything that is important to you and not save it to the drive where the OS is located.

    While the everyday user is happy with Windows , it still has multiple flaws that at any given time something could go array and create a major issue for you. With your important files being stored on an external drive this saves you from having to worry about your OS crashing. Another idea also to provide even further protection, not that I care 100% for it but have found it to be a true life saver is using a Cloud system or File storage site just to be 100% safe in addition to the external hard drive.

    The last Idea is not necessary but still a good way to provide multiple back ups of anything of importance to you.

    Lastly , best of luck and I hope that you are successful ... Just do not go too deep over your head into this before getting your files backed up.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    The specs on the computer for the time is was made seem very good. It was ahead of it's time when it came out.
    Have you had this computer more than 3 years? Have there been ANY other issues lately with computer booting, software or warnings on the screen? Is the hard drive almost full? If you can say yes to any one of these, it might be time for a new drive. Once you get it back up and running, back up everything that is important. Then go to "start", "run" and type chkdsk.exe. This will check the disk for errors. If it finds any it should clear it up. If there are many then you might want to get a new harddrive. It may be on it's last legs.

    We are all giving you good advice. Yet, after reading your post is concerns me that you are working in unsure areas. If this is the case don't push it to far. Hard drives and windows booting software are fickle. When that little guy in your head says "um..am I sure I want to do that" STOP. Pay the fee and have a Pro work on it. Whats the cost you asked? Like was said before shop around. But go to a Computer store. A big box may be able to help you but a computer ONLY store will be safer and money better spent.
    I had this laptop more than 3 years, I had this boot problem before in the pass, but with a recovery I fixed, and about the hard drive am not sure , but I remember the two times I did recovery my pc made a new disc I think was E or R and the name was recovery and was almost full.. When my pc was working fine I tried to erase or format that recovery partition to empty some space but that was impossible.
    How I really know if is the hard drive failing?.
    Last edited by SISGO; 03/12/2010 at 12:16 PM.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    I had this laptop more than 3 years, I had this boot problem before in the pass, but with a recovery I fixed, and about the hard drive am not sure , but I remember the two times I did recovery my pc made a new disc I think was E or R and the name was recovery and was almost full.. When my pc was working fine I tried to erase or format that recovery partition to empty some space but that was impossible.
    How I really know if is the hard drive failing?.
    This is free to you. Answer: IT IS. The drive is failing. With the information you have said it would be a great time to get a new drive. If you take it to a computer repair shop, they can transfer the old data to a new drive. Then take the important stuff you want and back that up. Next they reformat the new drive and start over with a clean drive and OS. At that point they can put all your important stuff back on. There are other ways that I would do it but this is one that most can relate to.

    Attention everyone.
    Future note.

    Now for all you computer nuts out there. Hmm, I think it is most of us. Some may know this but many do not. If you ever read anything about computer hard drives PLEASE remember and save this.

    A drive will die. Period. It will last 1 day or 5 years but it will die. There are three main ways it fails.
    1 - the disks (or platters) become bad and can't hold the energy anymore.
    2 - A head (arm that reads a disk) hits a platter and now there is damage.
    3 - the circuit board has gone bad.

    We all pray when a drive fails it is #1. Most times it can be recovered. #2 is very bad and only a few people can deal with this. It involves a clean box or room and repairing the internals of the drive. Do not try this at home. #3 is a little tricky. When a drive is made the circuit board may be different (updated) in only a few weeks. So it is hard to find two drives alike. It involves replacing the board with one from another drive that is EXACTLY the same.

    So what is the best thing to do. If you can afford one, get an SSD (solid state drive) drive. If not don't fret. If you have a lap top use and external drive for backup. For a desktop an external is good but for inside the computer you should ALWAYS purchase 2 of the EXACT same drives at the SAME time. If you want 1-TB then get two 500gb drive. Why? If one dies and you still have not backed up a good tech can get the info off the bad drive. After he/she backs up the good one, it can be used for parts if need be for the bad one. Then you purchase two NEW drives.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  5. viddywell's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #25  
    For a desktop an external is good but for inside the computer you should ALWAYS purchase 2 of the EXACT same drives at the SAME time. If you want 1-TB then get two 500gb drive. Why? If one dies and you still have not backed up a good tech can get the info off the bad drive. After he/she backs up the good one, it can be used for parts if need be for the bad one. Then you purchase two NEW drives.

    That is some of the strangest redundancy advice I've ever heard. If you're gonna double up on the drives - don't depend on a "good tech" to be able to swap out a platter or read head. That's spotty at best. It may improve your chances but that's just not sound "backup" advice.

    If you're gonna shell out the extra money for another drive you may as well USE the drive to build a simple RAID array.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by viddywell View Post
    That is some of the strangest redundancy advice I've ever heard. If you're gonna double up on the drives - don't depend on a "good tech" to be able to swap out a platter or read head. That's spotty at best. It may improve your chances but that's just not sound "backup" advice.

    If you're gonna shell out the extra money for another drive you may as well USE the drive to build a simple RAID array.
    As I had said there are only a few people that can truly service the insides of a drive. It is also VERY costly. They best is to always backup.

    In the matter of simplicity I was correct. Now a Raid is a great advanced user idea. The idea of 2 identical hard drives is for the average user. Think in those terms and is make perfect sense. If a person is going to go with 1TB then the person should ALWAYS go 2- 500gb. It allows a few things. Yes you could do (advanced) a RAID. The average user will have the ability to be in a great situation if the worst case with one of the drives was to occur. You have the option for a simple hard drive board swap (the more common fail) or I fear, an internal parts swap.
    As far as cost. One seagate 1tb cost about 90.00. 2-500gb Seagate drives cost about 55.00each. So for 20.00 more you have a best case setup be it just two drives or a Raid like you say.

    An external drive is still a good additional choice. But the two identical drives are a must. Lastly, everyone should burn a disk once in awhile with all the videos, photos, and documents. Doing that, say once a month is almost no cost today and there is no reason IMO that I can see not to do it. That reminds me I need to do some burning.

    What do I have for my personal computer. Between my wife and I, we have 2 laptops, 1 netbook, a THPC in the bedroom with 1.2 tb, a security and home automation computer (on 24/7) and a 8.5tb server. May past with computers is since the first Tandy's and I have built, sold and repaired computers ever sense.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  7.    #27  
    still no luck guys ... They replaced the rams and still is broke , next to change is the hard drive I hope that fix it!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions