Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright, alright..it's not a huge deal but I'm wondering if this is a problem that other users are dealing with as well.

I browse a whole hell of a lot on my Pre (soon to be my wife) but I notice that when I open up another app (while I have webpages or other apps running) and I switch back to continue what I was doing while the new app loads, webOS will actually pull me from the original app to the newly opened app, and I'll have to sift through all apps to get back to my original one. Frankly, it's annoying as hell.

I've noticed that it happens with apps that open pretty quickly (like Messaging) or when i'm trying to scroll over and it's been about a second since i launched the new app. Anybody else dealing with this?

Note: it's happened on 1.3.5 as well as 1.4, which is why I didn't put it on the official 1.4 support thread.
    and that makes it rude because.....

but on to your "problem" just go into card view and pick the one you want its really not a big deal
    if you don't want to go to another app when you open it . Well don't open it until you want to go to it ??? Makes sense right?? Or open all the apps you think your going to need to use first ,then go web surfing then everything is already open and you have no worried !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I don't really think this is something you can fix. It kind of like in Windows where you start a program and while it is loading into RAM, you decide to switch to the browser. Well, after that program has loaded, it becomes the active window and comes to the front, disturbing your browsing session. This is just inherent to any multi-tasking environment.
    If you click below the cards, it reverts to smaller size & makes switching much more efficient.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    and that makes it rude because.....
    It's rude because......I've resumed reading whatever I was reading and I'm interrupted by the new card assuming I want to tend to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if you don't want to go to another app when you open it . Well don't open it until you want to go to it ??? Makes sense right?? Or open all the apps you think your going to need to use first ,then go web surfing then everything is already open and you have no worried !!
    You misunderstand. If I'm reading an article on engadget/precentral/etc and hit the orange ky and click on a new link, to read a different article after I'm finished, the phone will kick me out to card view where the new browser window will load up. Me, wanting to finish reading my original article will shift backward in card view and tap on the original card. The original card expands into full view but after a half-second to a second the newly opened browser window will actually push itself into focus. Now I have to unnecessarily swipe back to the original article again. This is especially annoying if i'm reading something and have several apps open and I get a text message (which opens a card all the way to the right side) so if I'm ripped back to the messaging app I have to swipe several times to the left side of my "card deck".

So you see? It's not a matter of opening up all the apps I want. I'm constantly opening new ones as I use the phone.

Full example:
    Reading article...get a text message and click on the message to open up the messaging app...i'm brought into card view while the messaging app opens...instead of reading the text right then and there I want to go back to the article..i swipe back to the article...the messaging app has finished launching but instead of sitting idly in the background, webos assumes i want to read it now, even though I've swiped away from the opening card...i get peeved.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrandonf View Post
    It's rude because......I've resumed reading whatever I was reading and I'm interrupted by the new card assuming I want to tend to it.

You misunderstand. If I'm reading an article on engadget/precentral/etc and hit the orange ky and click on a new link, to read a different article after I'm finished, the phone will kick me out to card view where the new browser window will load up. Me, wanting to finish reading my original article will shift backward in card view and tap on the original card. The original card expands into full view but after a half-second to a second the newly opened browser window will actually push itself into focus. Now I have to unnecessarily swipe back to the original article again. This is especially annoying if i'm reading something and have several apps open and I get a text message (which opens a card all the way to the right side) so if I'm ripped back to the messaging app I have to swipe several times to the left side of my "card deck".

So you see? It's not a matter of opening up all the apps I want. I'm constantly opening new ones as I use the phone.

Full example:
    Reading article...get a text message and click on the message to open up the messaging app...i'm brought into card view while the messaging app opens...instead of reading the text right then and there I want to go back to the article..i swipe back to the article...the messaging app has finished launching but instead of sitting idly in the background, webos assumes i want to read it now, even though I've swiped away from the opening card...i get peeved.
    ok then finish reading one artical before you open another one then lol. i do that all the time and if i open something im already expecting that its going to open because i opened it lol what else do you expect, idk?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Hmmm, it doesn't do that to me. If I "Open in a new card", swipe to the old card, I don't get taken back to the new card. The new card is loaded when I decide to go to it though.
    jbrandonf here's your fix
    Open the app and you will see the card loading. If you swipe up from the gesture area you will see your bottom icons appear. You are now free to go to whatever card you want while the other loads in the background.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I have no idea what you are talking about, but maybe this problem would fix itself if you bought a iPhone or Droid.....oh, wait! Those phones can't do what the Pre can, my bad!
    it would be cool if the new opened app just opens up next to the one already opened.
    thats exactly what it does or is that sarcasm
    Just goes to show that there is an infinite amount of things to complain about, now people are complaining about mutitasking, lol
    give it some time and theyll complain about the shape or color or anything else that hasnt changed since they bought it but now they suddenly hate
    In certain web browses, e.g. Avant browser you can setup the default action to be either open the new page in the background, or the foreground, depending on your preference.

If you setup the default option to open in the foreground you could still open a new window/link in the background by pressing the crtl button when clicking the link, or pressing the middle mouse button on the link - I'm guessing you would like some sort of functionality like this? I'm not a coder, but I'm guessing a patch to have a control key open the card in the background wouldn't be too difficult?

The whole go get an iphone attitude is, frankly, a little depressing to see on a palm forum and is more suited to the apple ******* forums. It is probably worth getting it included in the forum guidelines as a no no, although I guess it could be seen of as Trolling
    Ah, so that's what "apple *******" means. I always assumed it was something ruder
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    give it some time and theyll complain about the shape or color or anything else that hasnt changed since they bought it but now they suddenly hate
    hey just bec i dont like the new clock font doesnt mean i shouldnt complain about it...

btw to the OP this happens to me all the time , especially when im demoing the phone to customers... and yes it is annoying
    So this forum has turned into a defend palm/webos no matter what forum?

I know what he's talking about, and it is annoying.

It would be nice if, when you switch to a different app, it wouldn't force you back.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I can't seem to get the results you're talking about. I have advanced gestures on - maybe that prevents the issue you're having. Just a wild guess.
    I don't have this problem at all o.O

Lets say i browse and want to open up the messenger for later use....

Then i just swipe my app down, so i can see the quick launcher on the bottom, click the messenger app and as soon as the loading-card comes, i swipe back to my browser and click on it for fullscreen. that's it. I tested it just now with multiple apps and it's working like a charm.

Edit: And i don't have advanced gestures on (don't know what it does anyway^^ Edit2: just found out and it's freakin' awesome )
    Last edited by NoSyMe; 03/10/2010 at 06:42 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast