Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Ok I am dumb! I connected my Pre via USB and I don't see the /media/cryptofs folder. I even tried to show system folders, etc. What am I missing? THANKS!
    use novaterm
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    /media/cryptofs was palms way of opening up the 8gigs of memory for apps, but it encrypts the directory when accessed by USB to offer some protection for the app developers from prying eyes. In order to access the directory you can use novaterm or ssh if it is set up.
    I see the following in my cryptofs folder:

palm-webos-device cryptofs # ls -l
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 32768 Aug 25 2010 Z׹
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 32768 Jan 17 19:29 apps
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 32768 Aug 25 2010M=
    I think the 'garbage' folders are probably my bad attempts to restore the cryptofs from the USB Drive side of things. If anyone can confirm these should not exist I'll zap them.
    cryptofs is the worst thing HP could do. It makes the OS really slow and maybe makes the device to boot forever if you have many (big) apps.
    Would it be that difficult to simply hide or forbid access to the .palm folder in the USB driver?

I hope they'll remove cryptofs as soon as possible.
    Or maybe even just a homebrew solution to remove cryptofs...
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    but it encrypts the directory when accessed by USB to offer some protection for the app developers from prying eyes.
    Which of course doesn't work at all. I wonder why they still keep it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Which of course doesn't work at all. I wonder why they still keep it.
    I hope they'll remove it. I think without cryptofs webOS would be much faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I hope they'll remove it. I think without cryptofs webOS would be much faster.
    Well, it isn't that much faster. I tested once and my Pre booted about 10 seconds faster (from 3 minutes it did it in 2:50).
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Internalz Pro will also allow you to look at all directories.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Well, it isn't that much faster. I tested once and my Pre booted about 10 seconds faster (from 3 minutes it did it in 2:50).
    How did you test this?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Internalz Pro will also allow you to look at all directories.
    Yeah, that's why cryptofs doesn't make sense. They should remove it and simply make the .palm folder in the usb driver unaccessible.
    How did you test this?
    "easy"

make a tar file of the cryptofs directory, delete the files, unmount it, untar the files back. And edit some file (I don't know, maybe it was something like /etc/init.d/mountall.sh) to disable cryptofs mounting.

See? Easy! hehehe

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    tar file isn't easy... /media/cryptofs is probably a few GBs... (but yes, I would get it though)
    I'll do all that playing with my Pre- when I have the Pre 2

Edit: sorry, there's a function in tar which deletes the original file when written into the .tar file... don't shoot me!
    tar file isn't easy... /media/cryptofs is probably a few GBs... (but yes, I would get it though)
    I'll do all that playing with my Pre- when I have the Pre 2

Edit: sorry, there's a function in tar which deletes the original file when written into the .tar file... don't shoot me!
    Heh, I didn't use it, I throwed everything in /media/internal to my hd and did the file movement

Uncompressed tar is faster than compressed btw

btw, why use tar?
    Why not simply move all files inside cryptofs to a folder inside /media/internal, and then make a link from /media/cryptofs to it?
    btw, why use tar?
    Why not simply move all files inside cryptofs to a folder inside /media/internal, and then make a link from /media/cryptofs to it?
    Unix-style permissions are not supported in fat32 partitions, ate same goes with links. You could also create a big file, format it as ext2 and mount it as a loopback filesystem. Unfortunately you'll be unable to install apps anymore (don't ask me why, that's what happened). It may be buried in some old thread, I played with this in early 2010 I think

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Unix-style permissions are not supported in fat32 partitions, ate same goes with links. You could also create a big file, format it as ext2 and mount it as a loopback filesystem. Unfortunately you'll be unable to install apps anymore (don't ask me why, that's what happened). It may be buried in some old thread, I played with this in early 2010 I think
    I forgot about that fat32 crap...
    If I create an image and mount it, that would be nearly the same thing as cryptofs, only without cryption.
    May play with this when the Pre- is not my primary device anymore.
    I forgot about that fat32 crap...
    If I create an image and mount it, that would be nearly the same thing as cryptofs, only without cryption.
    May play with this when the Pre- is not my primary device anymore.
    As I told you, it works, but its not that faster that cryptofs. My bet is that the flash itself isn't fast enough to show a significant differenct.