View Poll Results: +1 if you have had the random luna crash /restart. -1 if you haven't.

Voters
401. You may not vote on this poll
  • +1

    347 86.53%
  • -1

    52 12.97%
  • forget this option :P

    2 0.50%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 87
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo_Ben View Post
    mine often is unresponsive with the screen being off, won't wake even with opening slider or holding power button. After 10-20 seconds, wakes up to show the reset logo. 2x a day on average, half the time unrelated to preware as far as I can tell.
    EXACTLY my issue.
  2. #62  
    There is no rhyme or reason to it!,
    it just happens (not very often once or twice a week)
    but as has been posted before usually in the middle of something
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  3. #63  
    Yeah, same here, it's definitely getting on my nerves. I sometime have to reaffirm my GMail account, then Luna crashes while scrolling in the email app.

    Hope we get a fix soon..
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    Yeah, same here, it's definitely getting on my nerves. I sometime have to reaffirm my GMail account, then Luna crashes while scrolling in the email app.

    Hope we get a fix soon..
    yup, I've had that a few times as well, with the email accounts.
  5. jamiehs's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by dscott23 View Post
    yup, I've had that a few times as well, with the email accounts.
    This happens when the mail application quits. You can replicate this behavior by using JSTop to kill the mail process and then re-launch it.

    In my testing, installing homebrew kills all native app processes until a Luna restart or a full restart. This happens with Preware and WebOS Quick Install.
  6. #66  
    This has been hapening to me 1 to 2 times a day since updating to 1.4... the really crappy part is that when it's frozen - before the restart - I'm not getting any text or calls, and I don't know it's happening unless I check the phone. :\

    After doing a little experimentation, I have found that after installing or uninstalling anything via Preware, the Phone, Messaging, Calendar, Email, Contacts and Camera Apps no longer show in JStop. If I try to call myself, the EV icon goes away as if a call is connecting, but it never does, it just goes to VM.

    I believe the freeze/reset is happeing after a call or text is attempted to be pushed to the phone with these apps closed.

    I have checked after just running Preware, without installing or removing any packages and none of the standard Apps closed.

    Also, I have tried updating and installing an app via Palm App Catalog and did not experience any of these standard Apps closing.

    I have a hard time believing that this issue is limited to - or even caused by - Preware, but for the time being I will just do a Luna restart after installing/uninstalling anything and see if that helps.

    Edit: After reading a bit more on the forum, it does appear that other apps are causing this too... I'm going to do some more testing and see if I have any others that cause these "standard" apps to close out.
    Last edited by Spader; 03/16/2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  7. #67  
    After going through most of my apps, I have found that preforming a "rescan" in Luna Manager also triggers the closure of all those background apps.

    I checked running a Fileindexer scan annd an Application scan via the advanced option in launcher and neither of these caused any background apps to close.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  8. Jihoonie's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #68  
    +1
  9. estockda's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Please stop blaming Preware for this. It's a Palm issue that has been reported on stock Pres that never had Preware or any homebrew installed. Could preware be making it worse? I don't know, but Preware is not the cause of the issue..it's a known Bug. Please see my posts a few posts ago about how to generate a log file to send to Palm so they could research the issue. Only by getting lots of people sending in the logs can we truly diagnose the problem!

    The post I am refering to is post #28 .. here the link: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2294295
    Quote Originally Posted by estockda View Post
    I understand what you're saying but I can reproduce it. And it only happens after updating an app with Preware (updating an app via the App Catalog works fine). My phone does not crash otherwise.

    I tried uninstalling both Preware and the PMS (we do need a better acronym for this), restarting my phone, reinstalling both of them and then restarting again. It still crashes my phone after updating an app.

    So to be more precise, it may not be Preware, but perhaps the Package Manager Service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    This has been hapening to me 1 to 2 times a day since updating to 1.4... the really crappy part is that when it's frozen - before the restart - I'm not getting any text or calls, and I don't know it's happening unless I check the phone. :\

    After doing a little experimentation, I have found that after installing or uninstalling anything via Preware, the Phone, Messaging, Calendar, Email, Contacts and Camera Apps no longer show in JStop. If I try to call myself, the EV icon goes away as if a call is connecting, but it never does, it just goes to VM.

    I believe the freeze/reset is happeing after a call or text is attempted to be pushed to the phone with these apps closed.

    I have checked after just running Preware, without installing or removing any packages and none of the standard Apps closed.

    Also, I have tried updating and installing an app via Palm App Catalog and did not experience any of these standard Apps closing.

    I have a hard time believing that this issue is limited to - or even caused by - Preware, but for the time being I will just do a Luna restart after installing/uninstalling anything and see if that helps.

    Edit: After reading a bit more on the forum, it does appear that other apps are causing this too... I'm going to do some more testing and see if I have any others that cause these "standard" apps to close out.
    This is exactly what's happening to me. Screenshots are attached that show my "before loading preware" (first 3 pics) then "after loading preware and installing an app" (last pic).

    This happens to me if and only if I load preware and update or install an app. It's gotta be Preware.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  10. #70  
    +1
  11. #71  
    My guess is that it has something to do with the "rescan" that takes place after an App is installed or removed. A scan has to take place or the icon wouldn't appear or disappear.

    When I run the "rescan" option in Luna Manager - which I assume activates the same scan Preware uses post-install - I get the same result.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  12. estockda's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #72  
    Spader, I agree with you. It's probably a rescan that's causing it.

    Is anyone from webos-internals around to verify this as a known issue?
  13. #73  
    I also posted my findings in a bit more detail here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...xperience.html

    It basically mirrors your JStop results above.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  14. Cares's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #74  
    +1
  15. #75  
    +1

    on 1.4.1.1
  16. #76  
    -1. None whatsoever.

    Then again I use preset reset. Restarts every day at 5am.
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    EXACTLY my issue.
    this is my exact issue too.

    I took my pre into a sprint store the other day due to random crashes, they installed the battery shim but that didn't fix it. I'm really getting ****ed at this thing. While I was in there it was pretty busy and there were like three different reps who were discouraging people from buying the pre. They said that they were seeing like 10 come back a day for various reasons! That is pathetic. They did say the pixi was much better though.
  18. Jihoonie's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #78  
    +1

    (i experienced this occasionally before 1.4,but I'm experiencing this daily after the 1.4.1 update. It usually happens when I'm using Preware and my Pre goes into screenlock mode. Please, please, please address this ASAP.
  19. #79  
    +1 Searching for an answer I stumble on this thread. I also noticed the relation of Preware updates and luna restarts although now I'm suspecting it is a trigger for a problem in the OS. That being said why is this so hard for palm to resolve if we can trigger these restarts? Frustrated.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepore View Post
    +1 Searching for an answer I stumble on this thread. I also noticed the relation of Preware updates and luna restarts although now I'm suspecting it is a trigger for a problem in the OS. That being said why is this so hard for palm to resolve if we can trigger these restarts? Frustrated.
    Correct...Preware is not the cause of the issue, but rather it's a bug that Palm has identified... however, preware is one thing that can set it off. but also note that there are people with Stock Pres that have had this problem, too.. so, the best bet is really to just do a Luna Restart on your own after you use Preware and it should be good to go from there
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions