Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    I don't have this patch, but I do have these issues. Text and phone call never ring or even have a notification. Then I go to open either text or the phone app hours later and it takes FOREVER to open. When it does (if it does not crash Luna) the notifications come through.

This has only occured since 1.4. My wife is starting to think that I am ignoring her...
    Yea but at least now you have legit reason/excuse.
    Last edited by econdor; 03/10/2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: if's alnost 3:ooAm
    this update sucks man. Im good with the older version, atleast i dont miss my calls that way
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedill24 View Post
    This is definitely a huge bug. Has anyone been able to re-create the issue WITHOUT running Preware?
    You can re-create the bug manually by killing the phone/messaging apps using JSTop. Just delete the phone app out of javascript memory and try calling your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    You can re-create the bug manually by killing the phone/messaging apps using JSTop. Just delete the phone app out of javascript memory and try calling your phone.
    Maybe I am out of my element here, but can't you kill any of those functions using JStop? How would that prove that there is a bug?
    I agree that killing the apps using JsTop will result in not getting the phone call or text message but bevcraw is correct, doing so does not prove there is a bug.

The bug would be WebOS killing those services/apps for any reason.

Since I began monitoring the issue, I've only noticed it occurring when I updated an existing app on my phone using Preware. I have tried running other apps to use up memory but I encountered the "Too many cards" message before the Phone or Messaging app were terminated by WebOS.

So, the questions become is this a WebOS bug that is allowing the Phone & Messaging app to be terminated for memory purposes in which case this should be encountered when Preware is not running? Or, is this an issue caused by Preware whereby it is terminating the Phone or Messaging app for some reason? Or, is it a combination of the two whereby Preware is executing some commands that result in the Phone & Messaging apps be terminated and WebOS is allowing it to happen when in fact it should not?

Since I've only encountered this when Preware is running I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered the issue when Preware is not running. This would help answer the above questions and get us closer to identifying what kind of bug we're dealing with.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    I agree that killing the apps using JsTop will result in not getting the phone call or text message but bevcraw is correct, doing so does not prove there is a bug.

The bug would be WebOS killing those services/apps for any reason.

Since I began monitoring the issue, I've only noticed it occurring when I updated an existing app on my phone using Preware. I have tried running other apps to use up memory but I encountered the "Too many cards" message before the Phone or Messaging app were terminated by WebOS.

So, the questions become is this a WebOS bug that is allowing the Phone & Messaging app to be terminated for memory purposes in which case this should be encountered when Preware is not running? Or, is this an issue caused by Preware whereby it is terminating the Phone or Messaging app for some reason? Or, is it a combination of the two whereby Preware is executing some commands that result in the Phone & Messaging apps be terminated and WebOS is allowing it to happen when in fact it should not?

Since I've only encountered this when Preware is running I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered the issue when Preware is not running. This would help answer the above questions and get us closer to identifying what kind of bug we're dealing with.
    If the bug is that the apps are being killed, then killing them manually will not show the bug, I agree. But I feel that the bug is that the apps to do not start correctly after they are killed. If the apps are killed, I could care less so long as they would start back up. I mean, kill all the background process that you need to in order to stop the TMC error. I'm all in favor. But these processes especially need to be able to start again without hanging or crashing.
    My thought on the matter is that the Phone, Messaging & Email apps should never be terminated to make memory. This is, afterall, a phone first and then a gaming platform or whatever second....IMO. I don't want my phone app to be killed when I'm playing a memory intensive game....if someone calls me when I'm playing the game I want to see the phone call and decide to ignore or answer it.

In any case, I have not been able to reproduce or encounter this issue outside of Preware running. I launched Preware this morning and had 8 apps available for update. Six apps were available through the App Catalog and two were available through Precentral feed. To test if it's a memory issue I first updated one of the Precentral feed apps via Preware and sure enough my phone & messaging apps were terminated. I then opened the App Catalog, and clicked 'Install Updates' for the six apps available in the App catalog and my phone & messaging apps WERE NOT terminated.

Some poeple have reported this issue occuring when running a memory intensive game but I haven't been able to reproduce it. It seems to only happen with Preware....at least for me.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have had a problem where the phone will turn down the volume all the way. It is as if it was possessed. the phone will be on the table and I will suddenly see it just turn down the volume on its own. I don't know if is a software or hardware problem.
    So, I'm currently back on 1.3.5.1 due to this bug.

Have you guys seen this on 1.4.1.1?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    * RANT *

"Your phone is starting to **** me off", says the fiance.

Since updating to 1.4 on my Pre Plus, I always miss phone calls. Today, I missed 5 calls while outside with full signal strength. I don't have any homebrew, preware, patches installed. My phone is completely stock. As everyone else says, someone needs to address this primary phone function asap.

* rant over *
    2G iPhone -> BB 8530 -> Pre Plus
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zhull View Post
    So, I'm currently back on 1.3.5.1 due to this bug.

Have you guys seen this on 1.4.1.1?
    Yep, I had it happen to me this morning. My wife called and the phone did not ring and no missed call. I also did not get my email from Google with my vociemail (I have my call set-up with Google Voice).

So it's not just a phone thing, it's more.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    This also has been happening a lot to me lately. even on 1.4.1.1 its really starting to **** me off.
    twice today. Two calls, one with missed call notifcation but did not ring snd another just a voicemail. The phone didn't even ring. Ridiculous.

I just doctored my phone on saturday to see if it would fix it, but it didn't.
    Now if we only had an app based around jstop, that could restart the background apps when they go away.

I really wish I had more free time.
    So, not sure what this means but it seams to be Preware related unless you can reproduce the error using Stock apps, which I have not been able to do.
    There are messages later in this thread (and others) where people who have never used any sort of homebrew whatsoever experience this problem. So whilst Preware may be one of the many apps or situations that can trigger the error, I don't believe it is the cause.

I posted this information in the Preware thread as well and asked Rod if they can look into if it's a Preware related issue. I'll keep everyone posted with what I hear back.
    The work-around is simply to disable some feeds so they are not loaded. Preware uses enough memory to load the information from the feeds you have enabled in the Manage Feeds page. Preware is a Javascript app, so it's up to LunaSysMgr to reclaim that memory when you close Preware. The Package Manager Service does not retain any memory or do any processing in the background when Preware is not running.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123